Examples: Monday, today, last week, Mar 26, 3/26/04

Aspire ES1 512 disc drive not working

I have only the had this laptop for 15 months and the first time I went to use the M-disc drive, it would not read the disc and made lots of sounds. I ejected the disc and tried a different one and this time it did not do anything at all.

I have been extremely careful with this laptop and hardly ever take it out of the house. It has never been dropped or even had a knock.

Any help appreciated!

FAQ & Answers

• philetusphiletus Posts: 4,428ACE Pathfinder

The laptop came with a Mdisk compatable driveor you're trying to burn a Mdisk in the DVD drive that came in the laptop?

• dattsbuddattsbud Posts: 6Member
    It's an inbuilt drive. As the info sticker says it's an "M-disc ready drive"

Does the drive only read Mdisks or does it read CD/DVD and do they work OK?

I don't even know what an M-disc is! It doesn't play anything. Put in 2 different music cds and a dvd and it just made weird sounds or did nothing at all.

Seems that the Mdisks are made of stone and garanteed to last 1000 years. I don't know why you would have a Mdisk drive if you didn't order it.

It's "mdisc ready" so I guess it's a normal drive with ability for mdisc.
    Either way of wanted a cd drive and it doesn't work at all and a out 2 months out of warranty.

I think you're correct that it's a regular drive. What kind of noises" From the speakers or mechanical sounds?

mechanical. Like it's trying to kick in but it's stuck. Then if I remember insert disc it doesn't make any noise. No vibrations ad says "insert disc".

did you push the disk all the way down over the center ring. Sometimes they can be stiff to get all the way down.

Yep. Put it in and out. Clicked into place. I've used lots of disc drives and never had this issue before

Go to Device Manager/DVD/CDrom drives and uninstall the drive. Reboot and let Windows reinstall the driver.

• JackD1JackD1 Posts: 1Member

Did you end up getting your disc to work? I am having the same problem! Is brand new, like 4 days old.