Pink screen on Acer Chromebook 15 CB5-571. How do I fix this???

net4kip
net4kip Member Posts: 4 New User

The entire screen of my CB is washed in pink,

Best Answer

• net4kip
    Answer ✓

Yes, the repair was covered by the warranty!!  I contacted the manufacturer, they started a repair ticket, I shipped it to Acer for repair and within 2 weeks (maybe less) it was shipped back and fixed!  It is still working perfectly and I am very happy with my Chromebook.  Call Acer and carefully follow their shipping instructions to return it for them to repair.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,311 Trailblazer

Usually a color cast to the screen is due to a cable not fully seated,and often is followed by a blank screen when the cable falls the rest of the way out...

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • net4kip

Cable, where?  I am referring to the computer screen not an external monitor.  My CB is still pink/magenta, slower than before and the different inactive webpages show through the active page.

• billsey

Typically on a laptop style computer the video cable is internal, going from the motherboard in the base of the machine (under the keyboard area) up through the hinge to the display. Both ends of the cable have connectors that can pull loose over time and the portion of the cable that goes through the hinge area and crack over time due to the flexing as yoou open and close it. A color cast like you describe usually means the wire in the cable corresponding to the complimentary color is either only making partial contact or is broken, allowing red through but not blue or green. Since the pinout of the cable is usually not known it's easiest to first verify everything is connected solidly before deciding the cable, video circuit or display is bad.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • net4kip

Thank you so much for your explanation!  I have only had my CB for 6 months or so and have not used it much at all - especially this past month.  I would be surprised (and disappointed) if the hinging mechanism would fail so quickly.  What can I do?  Is this a type of repair that would be under warranty or honored by Acer?  I bought my Acer Chromebook through Amazon.  Should I call Amazon or Acer to find out where to take my CB for servicing?  Thank you!

• billsey

Unless there is obvious damage from a drop or the like it should be covered under warranty. Contact Acer Support and they should get you fixed up. I'm betting it's a loose cable, but they'll find out for sure.

• bgurwell
    bgurwell Member Posts: 1 New User

I have the exact same issue - Pink screen with a none active screen in the background when trying to add a new user.  Was this covered by your warranty?  This Chromebook was just purchased in April 2016. 

• net4kip
    Answer ✓

Yes, the repair was covered by the warranty!!  I contacted the manufacturer, they started a repair ticket, I shipped it to Acer for repair and within 2 weeks (maybe less) it was shipped back and fixed!  It is still working perfectly and I am very happy with my Chromebook.  Call Acer and carefully follow their shipping instructions to return it for them to repair.

• kathnh
    kathnh Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

If it's not covered by warranty, is it expensive to repair.  Can I open up my Chormebook and move the wire myself?

• LocalCornershopGuy
    LocalCornershopGuy Member Posts: 1 New User
    kathnh said:
    If it's not covered by warranty, is it expensive to repair.  Can I open up my Chromebook and move the wire myself?

I'm not sure if this will help but i had the same problem with you this pinkish color may be because you are on night light. Here's what you can do:

1. At the bottom right, select the time.
    2. Select Settings .
    3. In the "Device" section, select Displays.
    4. Under "Night Light," turn on Night Light.
    5. Under "Color temperature," adjust the color.
     I hope this works for ya! :)
  • kate222
    kate222 Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Localcornershopboy

THANK YOU... was just about to return to ACER, for check under warranty.

Such a simple solution...APPRECIATED

• johnmc21
    johnmc21 Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi,

I'm brand new here so I don't know if I can share something like this on my website, or not. So, can I? I would use it to promote acer of course. And as a reference guide.

VRay Crackead