aspire switch 10 sw5-011-11je keyboard/dock stopped working

repeteg
repeteg Member Posts: 10 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

tried patch ng... tried factory restore ng... called customer svc. 2months passed warranty date!!! told to contact merchant for help... went to merchant, microcenter, tech says he has simmilar problem on different acer comp and i'd be wasting my money for diagnostics he can't resolve... NICE JOB ACER!!! 

WEIRD THING IS... the keyboard/dock worksnFINE while you are entering all your info after factory restore... 

Once restored it no longer works... Tried using a usb keyboard/track pad same issue which leads me to believe it has NOTHING to do with the dock or keyboard or the usb port... You guys at acer really need to figurebthis one out!!!

14 MONTHS IS JUST NOT RIGHT... This comp is treated gently and is in pristine condition!

If anyone has any ideas or has figured this out PLEASE HELP ! 

Pete contact repeteg at g mail

THANKS!!!!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

So every keyboard or mouse you connect can't work?

are you connecting to the micro USB on the "tablet" side?

if you connect an USB flash drive, is it working?

is touchscreen working?

which windows OS version is installed?

are you able to enter Device manager and check if yellow exclamation marks are visibile? 

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • repeteg

I don't have a mini usb adapter to try the keyboard pluggedinto the side of the tablet so perhaps I'll try and pick up an adapter.... I tried both wired and wireless keyboards in the usb in keyboard dock... neither work.

Still running 8.1 didn't want to even try switching to 10 while this is going on.

Everything on the tablet seems to be fine.... VERY ANOYING using the touch screen keyboard for typing...

The onlyother strange thing prior to this happening was I recall hearing multiple "splash" noises, the ones you heasr when you unplug a usb device while i was using ms office on the comp... that was the day before... all was good.

• IronFly

can you please report your BIOS version?

tap on Windows logo in the top left

then type

msinfo32

check BIOS DATE/Version

• repeteg

ok... tried what you said about msinfo32 get microsoft's install this app option... have original box... biosninfo states system bd bios : 2.0/v1.03 i forgot to mention that the track pad on the dock works fine AND have jus discovered that the blue Fn keys work! nothing else... except when i first start up to enter my password or after system refresh.

Once PW entered that's it... no more KB except for those prev. stated... Is there some way I can RE install bios that is listed on the box and see if this helps?

• repeteg

trying instal bios....

get the following promp....

check project id mechanism BEFORE flash!

what is this andnhow do icheck

• IronFly
  • repeteg
    is there some way i can identify the bios that is actually loaded nownin case its different thats stated on the BOX? Perhaps auto updater performed something before I did system restore?
  • IronFly

if your keyboard works on boot, just press F2 to enter BIOS and check its version.

• repeteg

ok f2 did not work.... BUT found all info by holding down volume up while booting... fyi

Updated bios... tried to instal drivers... error message drivers are same or newer...

tried to reinstall anyway...

error message... instal failed system needs reboot...

rebooted... no change in keyboard op...

reinstalled drivers again after i shutdown system via holding power key...

no change...

VERY frustrating as I can hear clicks as i touch docknkeyboard keys, so i know there is com. between key dock and tab which works fine in all other aspects... Keyboard works prior to boot in password stage then fail after boot...

Same exact issue with usb keyboard... I tried printingnvia usb and it works so i guesse usb is ok...

This HAS to be some sort of system issue... NOT keyboard/dock... Fn blue keysbwork...

NOW WHAT?

• IronFly

have a look if keyboard layout is correct on windows settings:

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32046/~/changing-the-keyboard-layout-in-windows-8.1

also update Keyboard firmware:

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Patch/Firmware/Firmware_Acer_D12_W81x86_A.zip?acerid=635582027242696535&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=ASPIRE%20SWITCH%2010&Step3=SW5-011&OS=81P2&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

can you please re-check about yellow exclamation marks on Device manager?

on device manager, click on View and tick Show hidden devices

• repeteg

ok so iknow the global settings must be correct as i set them in system restore...

I will try the keyboard driver you sent next...

Meanwhile... I tried to call acer again... AUTOMATED system states out of warranty and was transferred WITHOUT option to third party support in probably India!!! Was politely told again to try vendor or other repair.. Geek Squad etc. No way to speak with acer directlymand that third party FOR A FEE no less DOES NOT DEALWITH THIS ISSUE AS IT IS A HARDWARE ISSUE... FU acer! I guess they dont care about my upcoming review on social media.... LoL

• IronFly

it's keyboard firmware, not driver. Smiley Happy

• repeteg

ok how do i get to check in device manager? with these updates performed i cant seem to get the tablet to type or even pop up on the windows screen?

• repeteg

up dated keyboard firm ware... report says success.... still no dock keyboard

• repeteg

got into device manager..no ! anywhere... clicked all  device infos... device working properly... keyboard specificaly... says device working properly.... NOT SO....

YOU have been EXTREMELY helpful ! 

Any more suggestions?

THANKS!

• IronFly

have you selected view - show hidden devices?

let's try one last thing, right click the keyboard on Device manager and choose to uninstall, then reboot.

go to this website:

http://unixpapa.com/js/testkey.html

press every key on your keyboard and check if it reports.

i don't have any other ideas at the moment, apart opening the keyboard dock and check the keyboard ribbon cable.

• StephenGuei
    StephenGuei Member Posts: 1 New User

Bonjour svp est ce que la mise à jour de ce BIOS peut empêcher le plantage du clavier?

• ShaneAdkins
    ShaneAdkins Member Posts: 1 New User
    I am having a simular issue with my Acer aspire one S1002. My keyboard stopped working. So I got a micro USB adapter and attached an external keyboard. I then upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10. That is when my touchpad, bluetooth I tried to recover unsuccessfully. I would like to have an OS that works. By reading some of the threads it may more problems than I know. Can you help?
    If so where do we start.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    @ShaneAdkins you should start a new thread with your issue. This thread is for a different model...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.