Acer One (or Switch) 10.1 - laptop, tablet or both

Options
klyross4477
klyross4477 Member Posts: 1 New User

Was about to purchase an Acer One 10.1 from B#$t B*y, but they told me it was not

a laptop, just a tablet with detachable keyboard.  Outside of apps, the only thing that

I could run was Office products!?!  

Answers

• Ideas_Acer
    Ideas_Acer Member Posts: 284 Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi Kly.  I'm going to see what I can do to clear up any confusion you may have.  I know from my own experiences that sometimes a retailer's employee isn't always the most helpful when it comes to buying technology ... or sometimes even dog food or pencils.  Cat Very Happy

First, you have mentioned two different products in your post.  The Acer One and the Switch, which are somewhat different devices.  Both are 2-in-1 devices, meaning that you can detach the keyboard assembly from the display and use the display as a Windows tablet via the touchscreen.  The Acer One is lower cost and is a bit thicker and heavier than the Switch.  It also has less RAM than the Switch model.  But both systems are full Windows OS products that act like any other laptop.  You may want to verify the Windows version on the Switch model you are looking at because some of them come with Win8 and others come with Win10.  But a Win8 model is upgradable to Win10, for free, from Microsoft.  Either model is capable of installing and running additional applications.

What the BBY guy may have been referring to is that these devices are NOT high power gaming laptops, like our VN series is.  These are 'standard usage' laptops for word processing, social media, email, web surfing, viewing videos from YouTube, etc.  You should not expect to do heavy photo editing, video production and major gaming on either of these devices, as this is not their intended design purpose.  If you need more power for these more power hungry applications, you should look to a more tradition model of laptop.  Our website has many to choose from.

I hope this helps.  Happy shopping.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,956 Trailblazer
    Options

The 'sales' guy might also have been confused between Windows tablets and Android tablets. Smiley Happy

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.