Cannot get help with touchpad in V 15

Smajdalf
Smajdalf Member Posts: 4 New User

I am used to have left button of touchpad configured as middle mouse button. I got a new Acer notebook with Windows 10 (had 7 previously) and didn't find how to make this setting. I contacted locar Acer support via mail but despite providing serial number I got answer like "it depends on installed hardware and software". Acer technical help doesn't know hardware and software configuration of their current notebooks??? I asked them to provide some more relevant information but didn't get any answer for more than a week. So I asked at Microsoft if they know how to fix it. Someone there tried hard to help (what a shame for Acer - evil Microsoft having much better support) but to no avail. He said Synaptics touchpad is needed for such settings. According to Acer website it should be preinstalled on the notebook. But it wasn't. We installed all touchpad drivers we have found on official website - but Synaptics settings didn't show up. He didn't know what we could do more. I wanted to ask on chat on Acer website but after filling my computer's serial number in Live Chat page I got: "Our records indicate the serial number you have entered is no longer eligible for warranty support." The notebook is one month old! No support then??? I hope I will get some help here since I don't know where else to ask and I am becoming desperate.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Try this,

Install this  and reboot. 

IO DriversIntelSerial IO Driver1.1.253.02.1 MB2015/07/21Download
  • Smajdalf

Sorry but what is it and where it came from? I don't like "download and install this .exe, it's harmless trust me". I tried download and install I/O drivers from Acer drivers page but it didn't help.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

Hi Smajdalf,

I'd recommend contacting your local service team by phone to address any warranty concerns, I'm sure they can help update your warranty appropriate which would allow for Chat support.

The V15 is a generic model number that unfortunately does not give me a lot to go on, if you could share the full model number it may help us. An example would be V5-571, or V3-511, etc...

Based on limited information, I suspect that the issue you're running into is related Precision Touchpad and if so, I don't know that you'll be able to configure the touchpad to have the left click act as a middle mouse unfortunately. Here are a couple of articles;

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/touchpad

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/33950

Cory

• Smajdalf

It is Acer Aspire V 15 V3-575G-50W2

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator

I would certainly reach out to your local support team about getting your warranty information updated as this is a new product and I'm not sure what would be preventing you from getting support.

It appears likely that your device does have a synaptice touchpad, but it could also be an elantech touchpad. One way you could find out for sure is go to the Acer Recovery Management, select Reinstall Applications and Drivers, and start the process for the touchpad driver. It will tell you that it is either elan or synaptics touchpad package and you can cancel it out. Unfortunately, I'm not sure that either are going to have the option to assign the left click to a middle mouse function.

Cory

• Smajdalf

I have my OS in another language. But in Acer Recovery Management under "Recovery" is only one option and it looks like it will reinstall the whole OS. When I click on it I get possibility to reinstall OS and keep my files (but removes apps!) or reinstall with removing files - no option for restoring only some drivers. I didn't dare to click any of those options if reinstalling only drivers is hidden behind them. I will try to contact local support but I wonder if they tell me something usefull when they failed twice.