I have an Acer Switch 11.. Showing no bootable device

Bsickinger127
Bsickinger127 Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

All of of a sudden while working on my Switch 11 it said it needed to shut down. Now I Get the "no Bootable device" message when I try to boot. I was able to to put in a usb drive that was a recovery drive. . It lets me go into Bios. When I try to to choose "refresh your PC it says the drive where Windows is installed is Locked. When I go into bios and select the information tab, the sdd Model Name says none and there is no serial number. Does that mean my SSD drive is fried? Is there anything I can try to get it to respond?

Best Answer

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

Is it still under warranty? You can contact MS. They will tell you to contact Acer.If it's not under warranty,

If it's only the SSD, it's pretty simple to fix if you're a little bit mechanically inclined.I can help you with that.

Answers

• philetus

I'm looking at Model SW5-111 and it shows a HDD. What is your model?

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

all SW has an eMMC as OS drive.

Normally a locked drive, means a frozen password on Acer's PC, have a look here:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/32674/~/bios-password-frozen

if it's not set as frozen and your eMMC/SSD is still missing, can be an hardware issue and it's better to give Acer support service a call.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Bsickinger127

SW5-171-325N

• philetus

The 325N is a special Microsoft Signature version and it has a 128 SSD.

Correct me if it doesn't have 128GB.

Usually when a computer tells you it needs to shut down, it is a power issue, like running on battery and it's going dead so, the computer informs you it needs to shut down.

I would check the output on the power supply and see if it's putting out 19v, 45W. If it isn't

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-GENUINE-ORIGINAL-ACER-AC-ADAPTER-CHARGER-CORD-WHITE-ADP-45HE-PA-1450-26AW-/351641260954

If it is, it could be the battery is bad.   http://www.notebooksolutions.ca/zc/acer-original-battery-ac91606-79120.html

It's also possible the SSD went bad.

The polite way it informed you it needed to shut down makes me think it's not a fatal situation.

Check or get someone to check the power supply.

• Bsickinger127

It said Memory issue  logging error  IT was 0 % complete and turned off .  It was pretty much  fully charged,  had been low and was charging it.  I noticed  it felt warm  .  When I tried to turn back on it gave me the no bootable device.  It does have a 128 Gb SSD supposedly.  When I go boot it to bios using the ISB recovery drive and I go into the information tab  Thee SSD info is not filled in.  Is this something work fixing?  Should I reach out to Microsoft where I bough it? I have a funny feeling the SSD drive went.  

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

if SSD is missing on BIOS description:

1) Dead SSD

2) Disconnected SSD

Honestly i would contact Microsoft.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • philetus
    Answer ✓

Is it still under warranty? You can contact MS. They will tell you to contact Acer.If it's not under warranty,

If it's only the SSD, it's pretty simple to fix if you're a little bit mechanically inclined.I can help you with that.

• Bsickinger127

If you have instructions on how to replace the ssd  please send along.  My son and I can hopefully figure it out.

Thanks!

• philetus

I sent you a private message

• switch11_user
    switch11_user Member Posts: 1 New User
    philetus said:

I sent you a private message

Hi Philetus - I'm pretty sure the problem with my SW5-171 Switch 11 is a failed hard drive - same 'No bootable device' message.  I'd like to try to replace it.  Can you also pm me with the instructions?  And any thoughts on where to purchase a suitable replacement?  Many thanks!