A pop up from an unknown source that prevents browsing

Sadhu
Sadhu Member Posts: 1 New User
  • When I used the computer today a flashing written message and an accompanying audio message popped up that I don't know how to remove. This pop up stops me from browsing. The message says that my computer is at risk of a virus and that I should call the number 855-899-6811 for technical support. I called the number and was told that they could not help with the Acer Chrombook. I am now using the computer as a guest. Is there something that I can do to remove this obstruction to my browsing.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer

Scam message. Shut down fully (power cycle by holding the power button until the system shuts completely down if needed) wait a bit and restart to see if it goes away. Calling the number on these is definitely not a good idea, they're just trying to get your money while spreading the infection farther.

Oh, and report them to the fraud folks in the government... They collate the reports and use them as evidence for prosecution.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.