Acer E5-522 85E1 Unable to enter BIOS from Windows 10

Options
forster
forster Member Posts: 9 New User

I have installed Windows 10 in a Acer E5-522 85E1, and I'm unable to enter the BIOS. I'd like to change it to UEFI to install Windows 10 in UEFI to get extra hardware working—the touchpad is barely working.

I have tried pressing F2, pressing F2 before the power button is pressed, resetting the battery, going into Windows Recovery, disabling Fast Startup in Windows.

Some have suggested that I should remove the battery to do a 'cold boot' since windows ten mostly goes into hibernation when shut down. Yet in this model, the battery is unremovable.

I'd really like to be able to get into the BIOS.

I haven't applied the BIOS flash that is listed on Acer Drivers page, but I've read that others have tried it to get it to work. I wouldn't like to open the case and remove the CMOS battery, since I still have it under warranty.

Could you guys provide any help? Thanks!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

if you didn't switch to legacy times ago, UEFI is the default setting.

you can check it from windows 10 if BIOS is set to UEFI or not:

windows logo key + r

type

msinfo32

check  BIOS mode string

check this video about entering UEFI from windows 10:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37064/~/windows-10%3A-access-the-uefi-bios

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • forster
    Options

Actually, I selected the Legacy mode before installing Windows (I had some trouble with other laptops when I mixed UEFI + WIndows 8).

No matter how many times I tried, I couldn't get into the Legacy BIOS (either using F2, F1, Esc, F12, Del). And the Windows Advanced Startup doesn't give me an option to reset the UEFI settings.

What could be done in this situation?

• IronFly
    Options

if your laptop has a little hole in the bottom with a little battery icon, pushing with a little pin will disconnect the main battery.

if this is not available, the only way to gain BIOS access again, is to unmount the HDD, boot to BIOS, change to UEFI and put back the HDD.

• forster
    Options

Ok, so what's the order of doing things?

I shut down the laptop, I push the small disconnect button, then what?

• IronFly
    Options

keep it pushed for about 10-20 seconds, then boot again pressing F2, spam it. Smiley Happy

if this doesn't work...go ahead with the HDD solution.

• forster
    Options

Thanks, the disconnect trick worked.

• IronFly
    Options
    You welcome.
  • Yashthakare5
    Yashthakare5 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    How to install windows 10 in Acer E5-522 &how to change BIOS settings
  • Sandman21
    Sandman21 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    I had the same problem, tried the battery button at the bottom, al the "F" keys, Fn + the "F" keys and it did not work, the thing that worked was  pressing Esc + F2 when the POST screen appeared, then it entered the BIOS menu, and i enabled the F12 key menu.
    Hope it helps.