eMachines EL1850-01e Want to upgrade CPU

2»

Answers

• thegodsquirrel
    thegodsquirrel Member Posts: 2 New User

I am bumping this thread.  I have the exact same machine and have been dumbfounded by the same problem as OP.  Did anyone ever resolve this issue?  It seems OP already tried all the avenues I was planning to try without any success.  

Sorry for resurrecting such an old thread.  

• meterman40
    meterman40 Member Posts: 12 New User
    I feel your pain, sir.
    This was never resolved. My last thought was that the CPU I had purchased was dead and have no sockets to actually test it. Best of luck to you.
  • thegodsquirrel
    thegodsquirrel Member Posts: 2 New User

meterman40,

I never thought anyone would actually reply, especially OP!  

I figured as much, usually when things are figured out folks jump on the opportunity to let everyone know.  I think I am going to avoid the risky process of flashing the BIOS since you already did that and it didn't work.  

I ordered a Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 3.33GHz (65 watt), Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.2GHz, and a Core 2 Duo 2.8GHz E7400, none of these did anything but beep upon booting.

Hopefully that will help someone, I am going to say that there is something else going on that is unknown.  This model should work perfectly with a Core 2 Duo 65 watt, but it doesn't.  Also none of the documentation I have found lists a sustained beep error code.  

Thanks alot for replying.  

thegodsquirrel

[edited to comply with guidelines]

• meterman40
    meterman40 Member Posts: 12 New User
    My pleasure! Let me know if you ever figure anything out. I still have a stack of processors sitting in my deskSmiley Happy
  • ShizukaNekoShiki
    ShizukaNekoShiki Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hia meterman40. mew-
    Thy answer 2 chur problem may be that thy RAM chu put in2 it is loose or not connecting to the motherboard properly [ It may even be un-combatible with chur motherboard ]. mew- [ Does haz thy similar emachine as churs ]. mew- I suggest taking chur finger & gently press down on the RAM chip`s top & just wiggle it back & forth a little. mew- Or take it out and slide it back in. mew- [ After I wiggled mine thy beeping sound stopped ]. mew-

EDU/FYI: Chu can touch the sides & top of the RAM chips but never touch the board or the bottom part of the RAM chips because 4 one if chu touch the board then it leave acid behind thats produced by chur fingers that will cause thy ram chip circuits 2 start decaying [ IDK how much of that is true BTW ], if chu touch the bottom then thy same thing as above might happen 2, & also by touch bottom chu may make thy pins haz residue from chur fingers where it make them hard 2 connect to thy motherboard connector pins 4 thy RAM chips [ part about residue is true & these 2 things also applies 2 anything that haz pins on thy sides where chu can touch em as well ]. mew-
  • jfwal
    jfwal Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hi guys,
    Note that there is two Q8300 S-Spec:
    SLB5W which is working with the last bios (not tested with old one)
    SLGUR which produce a continuous beep
    Have a nice upgrade :-)
    JF

• Left-Handed-Cat
    Left-Handed-Cat Member Posts: 4 New User
    Hey guys,

I want to share my experiences: I have the same issue: I tried to upgrade an ACER emachines EL1850G. Original CPU is Intel Celeron E3400. In my opinion this PC has the same G41T-AD motherboard as discussed in this thread (see pictures). Because I read it in this and multiple other forums/threads and laurent14 also said: If...

Your motherboard is this one:
    MB.NBK09.001MAIN BD.G41.ICH7.WO/1394

It supports all these original processors:

KC.76001.DE0CPU.CORE2D.E7600/3.06G/3M/1066/65W

To be safe I bought exactly this model: An Intel Core 2 Duo E7600 3,06 GHz 3M L2 (SLGTD). But unfortunately it didnt work, only one endless beep. I tried the preinstalled older BIOS, and after that I flashed to the newest P01.B3, which also didnt fix the issue.
  • TWilso
    TWilso Member Posts: 1 New User
    Just wanted to chime in and say I bought an Intel Core 2 Quad q8300 on Ebay, even picked a SLB5W chip like Jfwal suggested. I had no problems with it. Anyone having issues, make sure you clear your CMOS. There is a jumper by the battery. Just pull it off pins 1 and 2, set it to 2 and 3, try starting the system, then put the jumper back on pins 1 and 2. Everything should restart and tell you you need to set the CMOS time. Thank you all for your help. :)
  • ctown
    ctown Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello,

Be careful the original heatsink dissipates up to 65W. If you install a Quad Core of 95W, you'll need another heatsink:

Spoiler
    HI.10800.006HEATSINK.CPU
    HI.3670C.001HEATSINK.W/FAN.4200RPM
    I would like to ask some questions regarding TDP. I have this exact same PC (it has a Celeron 450 processor). I looked up the motherboard (it is a DG41A3) and it seems that this chipset supports has a 65 W max TDP. Can we really upgrade to a 95 W TDP processor?

So, I found two Xeon processors that have been modded to work in a LGA 775 socket on Ali Express and Ebay. One is the Xeon L5430 (similar to Q8400 but with a 50 W TDP). The other is a Xeon E5462 (similar to a Q9550 but has a 80 W TDP). Can I reuse the original fan/heatsink with the 50 W processor and use the 80 W processor if I buy a new fan/heatsink?

• Raven1
    Raven1 Member Posts: 3 New User
    I was able to upgrade my emachines-el1850-01e today thanks to the information in this forum. Thanks!

I downloaded the P01-B3 BIOS & flash utility from the emachines Download Center and flashed the BIOS under Windows 7. I ordered a "used" Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7600 from China off of eBay. It took almost 3 weeks to arrive, but it arrived this morning and was definitely worth the wait.

The original Intel Celeron® 450 @ 2.2 GHz processor bench-marked in Windows 7 @ (4.3) and the System Memory: (2ea.) Samsung 1GB 1Rx8-10600U-09-10-A0 M378B2873EH1-CH9 1009 bench-marked in Windows 7 @ (4.9).

The new Intel® Core™2 Duo CPU E7600 @ 3.06 GHz 3.07 GHz bench-marked in Windows 7 @ (6.6) and with the new processor installed the same System Memory: (2ea.) Samsung 1GB 1Rx8-10600U-09-10-A0 M378B2873EH1-CH9 1009 bench-marked in Windows 7 @ (5.5).

I replaced the original Western Digital WD5000AAKS (500 GB) which bench-marked in Windows 7 @ a respectable (5.9) with a Team Group L5 3D SATA III 240 GB SSD that bench-marks in Windows 7 @ (7.4). I cloned the OEM Windows 7 to the new SSD. I also installed UBUNTU 18.04. I have an 8TB NAS server for file storage so a 240 GB drive in the computer affords more space than I actually need.

I spent less than $39.00 and turned a sluggish Celeron based computer into one that feels as responsive as my I7's.

• Raven1

One of the things that bothered me while I was setting up my el1850 was the lack of a Hard Drive activity light. Although eSystems didn’t include one (I’m sure to help keep costs low), the ECS MB does support this functionality. Pin 2 & Pin 4 power the two front panels LED’s that light when the computer is on. Directly across from them on the connector are the two pins (1 & 3) for a HD LED.

I scavenged a red LED from an old ISA computer case that had long since been abandoned. The socket that pushes over the MB pins has a plastic tab that holds the connectors in place. I just lifted the tab and pulled the connector’s out and then pushed them into the empty holes in the eSystems socket. Where I use it, the computer sits below eye level, so I taped the red LED under one of the top vent holes. I now have a Hard Drive activity light. (Note: pins 5 & 7 are for a reset switch & pins 6 & 8 are for the power switch.)

While the on board VGA video worked OK @ 1920 X 1200 with an older 24” monitor, it was noticeably slow. Windows 7 bench marked it at 4.2 for Graphics & 3.5 for Gaming, with the 3.5 setting the overall score. I use my computers with a 4-port HDMI switch and 27” LG monitor. The only video card I had that supported HDMI and had a low profile bracket was an ATI Radeon HD5570. I mounted the low profile bracket and installed the card and its Win 7 drivers. Not only did it work with my HDMI switch, but video performance improved to 6.7 for both Graphics & Gaming. Memory @ 5.5 now sets the overall system score.

• Raven1

I made some more changes to my el-1850. I replaced the Team Group L5 3D SATA III 240 GB SSD with a Team Group L5 3D SATA III 480 GB SSD. The new SSD benchmarks @ 7.4 the same as the old one. I partitioned the new drive with two 100GB primary partitions, a 50 GB primary partition and a 40 GB logical partition with the remainder (157.11 GB) as a logical data partition.

In the first 100 GB partition, I installed and activated Windows 10 Pro & Office 2019. The second 100 GB partition has the original OEM Windows 7 & Office 2010. The 50 GB partition contains Windows XP, Office 2000 and a number of legacy engineering programs that will only run under XP. The 40 GB logical partition runs Ubuntu 18.04 which provides a bootup menu that allows me to boot into any of the four operating systems.

Hardware wise, all four operating systems and all software applications installed and run flawlessly. With the Intel® Core™2 Duo E7600 CPU @ 3.067 GHz, even Windows 10 & Office 2019 work without experiencing any lag. If I needed to have a lot of applications open at the same time, I expect I would need to upgrade the memory from 2 to 4 GB, but for now, I can have Firefox, Outlook and Word 2019 all open at the same time without any noticeable problems.

FYI, I am running the original Intel Celeron® 450 @ 2.2 GHz processor fan with the Intel® Core™2 Duo E7600 CPU without any heating problems. The computer is usually turned on around 7-8 AM and shut off at 11:00 – 11:30 PM.

• fixer_one
    fixer_one Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited October 2019
    I had the same problem reported by the op. Firmware was flashed and I got the long beep. I tried both of these processors:

KC.83001.QQV CPU QUAD.Q8300/2.5G/4M/1333/95W
    KC.75001.DEV CPU.CORE2D.E7500/2.93G/3M/1066/65W

Would boot fine under the original Celeron. 

Problem was a memory stick. I had 2 x 2GB sticks in. I pulled the one out farthest from CPU and machine booted. Put back it. B e e e e e e p. I had a spare stick, installed it, and 100% fine. 4gb and a Quad Core. Machine had run fine on the other memory for 10 years. Memory was spec PC3-10060. New stick was same brand and model. Could have been either stick bad. So try both. Not sure if first DIMM has to be populated so if trying that one, you might have to remove both and put second dimm in first slot.
  • Frak
    Frak Member Posts: 1 New User
    Success with Core 2 E7600 SLGTD on G41T-AD Ver 1.0   I changed out memory and constant beep stopped.  Using ADATA DDR3-1600G CL: 9-9-9-24 Voltage 1.55~1.75V
This discussion has been closed.