Is Acer BYOC internet dependant - that is is everything synced through the internet?

WGCTOO
WGCTOO Member Posts: 6 New User

I live in a rural area and cannot get unlimited internet (at a set price). I am trying to determine how BYOC syncs. Will it do it through my local router (via Wi Fi) or does it only do it through internet.

If only internet than I have no use for it for two reasons:

1.) I don't need to pay for the extra data usage

2.) I don't see the need for my information traverse the internet.

Thanks

John

Answers

• tontytots
    tontytots Member Posts: 77 Troubleshooter

The way I see it, these features are a sale bonus for those who want them - such as businessmen that travel a lot and need files to hand. If you have no requirement of this feature, I should just let it sit there and fester.

I can only use i-net for my own cloud, but I analyse science papers prior their release, and need this feature all the time - but I have three cloud drives anyhow!

• TeresaHsu
    TeresaHsu Member Posts: 68 Troubleshooter

Hi WGCTOO,

You can sync files between your PCs and devices via Acer BYOC Apps (abApps for short) via Wi-Fi or a mobile network.

Acer BYOC Apps provide a setting that prevents syncing over mobile networks to avoid charges for data usage. The default setting of [Use Mobile Network] is OFF. If you keep it set to OFF, you can only synchronize files via Wi-Fi.

Acer BYOC uses the most advanced AES encryption technology to let you access your media and files while keeping them safe from harm. So you don’t need to worry about your data traversing the internet.

Please watch Tutorial video of the relevant Acer BYOC Apps in the Online Help of "Experience Acer BYOC apps". Hope you’ll like it.

Acer BYOC Apps Support

• WGCTOO
    WGCTOO Member Posts: 6 New User

Thanks for the response, going to online help was marginally useful. It told me to got to the menu, in each abAPP, located in the upper right corner and click on Settings.

I found Setting under Edit in the upper LEFT, and it had no mention of 'use mobile network'.

A responce from Acer support told me that abAPPS are internet dependant and also suggested going to Online Help and look up 'use mobile network' under settings.

A mixed message.

I wonder there is a way to get an older version that has that option?

John

• TeresaHsu
    TeresaHsu Member Posts: 68 Troubleshooter

Hi WGCTOO,

Acer BYOC Apps on mobile devices (Android, iOS, Windows 8) provide a setting of "Use Mobile Network", whose default setting is OFF. There is not setting controlling of using Wi-Fi or a mobile network on Windows Desktop. 

As long as you upload files to abApps, they will be synced to all your other PCs and devices signed in the same Acer ID when they have an active network. "abApps internet dependent " refers to that syncing files via abApps needs an active network, either Wi-Fi or mobile network is Ok. If you keep it set to OFF on your mobile devices, the files will be synced to your mobile devices when there is Wi-Fi for your mobile devices. I’m sorry for causing you any inconvenience about the wording.

Acer BYOC Apps Support