A few issues w/brand new chromebook

kru
kru Member Posts: 4 New User

My camera won't work - says another app is using it. I'm seeing hundres of chats about this but no good answer. I bought this for my mom. She can't use webcam obviously without this. Do i need to take it back to Best Buy to fix? How do i disable the touchpad?

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator

Powerwashing it should fix your camera issue. You can find instructions on that at http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27685

The ChromeOS does not have a function to allow you to easily disable the touchpad. You can disable a chromebook touchpad, but it involves using terminal commands. I don't see it discussed on this forum, but you should be able to search on Google and find instructions for disabling it at the terminal level.

• kru
    Thanks for the info but I decided I shouldn't have to fix it myself so I'm going back to Best Buy to get one that works. Going to have them open the box and test it. I'll google the touch pad item
  • kru
    Actually since this seems to be such a prevalent issue - Acer themselves should be providing its customers w brand new working machines. I didn't buy this computer w an "asterisk" attached to it. We shouldn't have to deal w taking a present back from someone and going thru hassle of getting a new one from the store
  • kru
    Ok all who have this issue. Go into ur apps and open up Hangouts. Then click on camera to start a session. In upper right corner you'll see a video camera icon. Click on it and choose enable. Now ur camera and webcam will work. No need to power wash or anything else. Found out thru a google person at Best Buy.