I would like to know how to update my Aspire 5100 to Windows7.

Dragonsgrl
Dragonsgrl Member Posts: 4 New User

I have all the requirements on my Aspire 5100 to update to Windows 7. It came from the factory with the requirements. I am irriatated that It says I can't update this machine. If companies IE: Chrome, Firefox and even Microsoft are no longer putting out updates for security or any other problems with Windows XP, why can't I update to Windows 7 without a problem?

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder

Hi Dragonsgrl

You MAY be able to update to Windows 7 - it's going to be a case of "trial & error" I'm afraid!

Because of the age of your laptop, there are no drivers for WIndows 7, but the Vista ones may work.

You'll need beforehand to find out what parts are used inside your laptop - IE, Ethernet/Wifi, Touchpad etc. To do this go to support for your region, then to Drivers & Manuals - enter your details. You will see listed:

Capture.PNG

Click on it to find the vendors of the parts. Go to the manufacturers website to see if there are any Windows 7 drivers available. You can also use programs like Speccy or Belarc Advisor - these advise on the parts inside your system.

• Dragonsgrl

I already know the drivers and components in my system without a problem. The only one that had a problem with the update information was the video card driver. When I went through acer they responded saying the do not provice drivers for OS that are not installed on the machine at time of sale. All the other drivers didn't have an issue and I already have a copy of Windows 7 that I purchased for my towe, so I wasn't sure if there was a generic driver site that I could go to in order to be able to find that one, or if there was going to be an issue

• finlux

There's no generic driver site.

What video card is it? Have you tried their support sites (Nvidia, AMD(ATI), Intel)?

Try IObit's Driver Booster to see if it finds anything.

• Dragonsgrl

Video card is a ATI Radeon 1100

• finlux

OK, go here to locate your driver for Windows 7.

• Dragonsgrl

thank you so much....for some reason my brain just couldn't find that one. I've got all the updated drivers that I need for mb, bios, sound etc just couldn't think of stupid video card drivers

• finlux

Great Smiley Wink