Acer 5742-6602 CPU Overheating and shut down

tzampaz89
tzampaz89 Member Posts: 20 New User
edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hello,

Laptop Specs:

i5-480M

I need your help about this laptop. Cpu is overheating and shut down. I open it and there was little dust on the cpu fan. I put replace the thermal paste ( I don't spread it, only dot amount). Again, the same issue. I run Speccy program for the temperature on my laptop. Cpu has over 44-59 Celsius, motherboard stable at 59 Celsius and Hard Disk 12 -16 Celsius.

What I done:

1)I change the cpu processor with another cpu (from i5-480M to i5-450M) supported. Again, with overheating.

2)I change the cpu fan with a new one for this laptop , little stable but again overheat and shutdown.

3) Test with a new windows formated, again little stable but if I use something is overheating.

4) Check the bios for cpu fan, there is nothing.

I am not expert, but it is possible to be the motherboard sensors?

Because with speccy everytime show motherboards temp locked on 59Celsius, does not change. Also, HD from 12-16-21 Celsius.

Thank you.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer

>>>Test with a new windows formated>>>

Is the system still running the factory-installed Windows version? Is the hidden eRecovery partition still intact?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• tzampaz89

I have new formated disk from other pc, I put it but again overheating. No, i don't have the recovery partition!

• JackE

What Windows version is it running now?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• tzampaz89

I have two hard disk  one has Windows 7 Ultimate and the other Windows 8 (new formated).

• tzampaz89

Is there any way to make the cpu fan work faster at 38 Celsius ? Because it has not anything about cpu fan voltage on the Bios. 

• JackE

What bios number do you have?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• tzampaz89

From the Everest program :

Bios Type:Insyde

Version:1.21

(DD/MM/YYYY)

System Bios Date:25/04/2011

Video Bios Date:17/2/2010 

• JackE

Seems like the original bios. About when did the system start to overheat & shut down?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• tzampaz89

3 weeks ago. In the beginning, I think, it was from the dust because cpu has high temp. Then I change the thermal paste, nothing, because maybe I put a lot of thermal paste. But, this moment I testing with thermal paste artick mx-2 (spread, dot, line like chip). The best for the moment is the line not very thermal paste. Also, I change the cpu fan little better than previous. The original thermal paste was spread over the two chips and out of them. I will upload a photo for the temperatures. Is it possible to change the cpu fan speed? 

• JackE

>>>3 weeks ago. >>>Is it possible to change the cpu fan speed? >>>

Yes, possible. But more relevant is what caused the system to start  overheating & shutting down. Dust may be partly to blame. But I think not the primary cause. Were any software or hardware changes made 3 weeks ago when the issue first started? 

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• tzampaz89

Nice. I have hope. Well, I did not change any hardware and software.

My temps:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B23bmSAHREv0b19HTElNam1vNkU

• JackE

OK. Which Windows version were were you using? For how long were you using this Windows version before the overheating problem first started? And did you update the chipset or mgt drivers for this Windows version specific to your Acer model from the Acer driver download site? 

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• tzampaz89

When I buy it, has windows 7 Home. One day, my hard disk has crashed. Then, I give it to the technician, he put windows 7 ultimate. Now, I use the windows 7 ultimate x64 since 23/1/2015 and know what technician has done. For the moment me cpu temp is around 43-51C. Well,I think to format it again and update the chipset from acer site. Do I have to update the bios before format?

• JackE

Do NOT try to re-format the Win7 ultimate drive yet. Do NOT try to update the bios yet.

First try to update the Win7 chipset driver for the Aspire 5742 Notebook from the Acer site http://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers 

Then check again for overheating and shutting down behavior.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• tzampaz89

Ok, I install the chipset from the acer site. but nothing.

• JackE

>>>but nothing>>>

What does nothing mean? I'm not too concerned with the temperature reading. I'm more concerned with it shutting down by itself? Has this happened already?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• tzampaz89

Does not resolve my problem after I update the chipset. My cpu overheat when I use youtube or multiple windows or play a flash game and if the temp of cpu is 105 Celsius, it is shut down my laptop.

• JackE

OK. At the moment, I'm still assuming it's not a hardware issue. Accordingly, I'm guessing that some background process or app is causing too much cpu usage. So, please arrange to automatically start task manager (taskmgr.exe) at boot time.  Let the system fully boot with little or no hard drive activity. Do NOT try to run any other programs other than task manager. Then use task manager to look for any background applications or processes that seem to be taking up a lot of cpu time. Report back on what you find.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• tzampaz89

I will see it tomorrow. Thank you very much for your help.

• tzampaz89

Well, I did as you told me. I can't find any program or software running. Cpu is more idle than processing. Look at the video:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B23bmSAHREv0eW9faDRiRXpJV2s