G6-710 - Upgrade to Samsung SSD 1TB from 128

Options
SamRony
SamRony Member Posts: 11 New User
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

Hi There,

I searched on the internet for documentaiton to show me the motherboard configuration. I intent to replace the current 128GB SSD with 1TB Samsung Pro. (Will clone the current OS/Data, of course, after proper backup to USB).

The swablable drive bay, even with adapter cannot be used to connect the SSD as the alignment seems to be meant for HDD!.

I did open one of the covers, but the cabelling arrangement makes it difficult to locate parts. Espcially the 128GB SSD.

Anyone can help (or have a diagram of motherboard), or point me to the right direction?

Cheers,

Sam

PS: I am using this BEAST, with Predator X34, IT is wonderful but for some reason when I use the 100Hz @3440x1440 the screen flickers. I have to stay at 95Hz.

PSS: When using the Predator Sensor to TURBO the machine. IT WORKS MAGIC. But when I turn on the fans to high speeds, the noise the system makes OVERCOMES the sound of the game. Extremely LOUD.

Answers

• nickpeck40
    nickpeck40 Member Posts: 32 Troubleshooter
    Options

I was going to do the same thing as I thought there were 2 m.2 SSD slots (only one, the second slot is for the wireless adapter), but since there isn't I slapped my 1tb Samsung SSD into that drive bay you asked about.  You need to screw the SSD into the drive bay adapter (samsungs never come with them, luckily I have a few from other brands laying around).

So I got my SSD fitted and working in the front drive bay and am just leaving windows installed on the 128gb m.2 that it came with since it's plenty of room for Windows and the smaller apps you use.

I'm tempted to get that monitor as well, but I'm not sure how games that don't run on it work (not sure how well games will scale to it).  I love all the cool toys but when it comes to the PC, there are always headaches because nothing "just works" all of the time lol.

As for the fan noice, yup, happens in all PC's when you use air cooling.  You could try one of the single fan water coolers for the cpu which would help a bit, but if you did that I'd swap out the other fans as well.  I always build my own PC's, so going with a prebuilt is fun but tough at the same time as I'd like to make some changes but then I'll end up spending more that I should haha.  I got a great deal on my G6 which is saving me money vs. building a skylake PC on my own with near similar parts.

I am upding the ram and adding in a new card which luckily I can get free through work.  I was looking at a titan x, but for what they cost vs. preformance, I'll just get a 980ti and call it a day.  Just not sure how much I want to spend incase all of the newer cards hit something this year.

Back to that monitor, how is it working for you?  I'm very interested in it.  I was also looking at the 2k 27" Preadator monitor which looks pretty nice.

Take it easy.

• SamRony
    Options

Thanks heaps for the info.

I found having the Ultra Wide screen 3440x1440 on X34 to be AWESOME for gaming. But you have tinker with video settings of the games to get quality and performace balanced. Not all games have successfully used 3440x1440, most just were unplayable. Or you need to stick with 1920x1080 at 70Hz. For Battle Field 4, I am on 3440x1440 60-70Hz and it feels fantrastic. (GTX 970 on G6-710)

Graphic/Video editing is also an enjoyable experience with 3440x1440 95Hz ... the colours are very vibrant.

Also, with the led lights fitted to the base, I have added to my RIG theme, of breathing Red light effect ... (Have a thing for Dragons!).

Cons: OSD controls to shift between profiles / Filcker effect going 100Hz 3440x1440 / Speakers are not great (I do not use them). I have to keep changing profiles as brightness tend to cause discomfort looking at it for a long time. Built-in Gaming profile on the monitor changes the colours of some games, some just become breath taking - Witcher 3 Witch Hunt - 3440x1440 60Hz.

Cheers,

Sam

• nickpeck40
    nickpeck40 Member Posts: 32 Troubleshooter
    Options

Not a problem at all.  Yah I don't mind messing around here n there to get some games to work, but I just hate it when you get a few going and end up having a few that are a pain in the rear Smiley Very Happy  Usually works that way.  Yah, that screen looks really nice and I'm super tempted to do it.

I'm trying to see if my newer laptop sells on ebay to help fund the monitor purchase Smiley Very Happy

The 970 is a pretty solid card no doubt, but I will toss in a 980ti as soon as I get it, so that will drive 2k no problem (if I go with the 27") and probably handle that monitor pretty good as well.  I think most of the games I'll be playing from here on out will be pretty much new(er) games.  I do have some older ones but I'm not sure if I'll get around to them.  Mostly what I'm playing now is The Witcher 3, Fallout 4, and looking forward to The Division and Far Cry Primal.

I finally decided to get back into PC gaming and using my XBO and PS4 for exclusives.  Also, use the XBO Elite controller in Steam big picture mode, works great.  I also picked up the Steam Link for $25 and have been messing around with that on my 65" 4k tv upstairs lol, works great.

Thanks for the replys back man, I appreciate it.  Enjoy the rig bud, I'll reply back when I decide on the monitor.

Take it easy.

• LavenderPlays
    LavenderPlays Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I would also like to upgrade, however am unable to locate the 128gb ssd to remove it in order to test the upgrade. Could ou possibly point me in the direction of its undeniably hard to find secret location. Thanks in Advanced.

• SamRony
    Options

hi there,

It was located under the Nvidia card .... so I did not bother about it, I even wiped OS on it ... 

I had to connect SSD to SATA (1 port remained) and rebuilt it with my own copy of Win10 PRO.

hope this helps.

Please, I would really like to know if you are having the same issue as I do with PredatorSense ... if I set it to TURBO ... system works for few minutes and then crashes. Going between options Normal and FASTER works okay.

• FransvdBerg
    FransvdBerg Member Posts: 20 Networker
    Options

Please tell us the exact part number from the Samsung 1 tb m2 drive

• Irozage
    Irozage Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    How did you remove the graphics card? I can't Seem to get my off
  • SamRony
    Options

Hi, 

I ended up with adding a Samsung 1TB pro SSD via SATA connection. Used the 128GB m2 chip for something else.

I really dont know the part number.

Cheers.

• SamRony
    Options

Hi, 

I ended up with adding a Samsung 1TB pro SSD via SATA connection. Used the 128GB m2 chip for something else.

i do not recommend toucing the graphic card as the latch/lock is akwardly placed in a very tight location. Anyway I found out that m2 chip to be directly under graphic card and its a chip, changing it would take a bit extra skills than mine!

The Samsung 1TB pro SSD has done a great job, its working perfectly (Plus avoided having to touch or remove that Nvidia massive grapic card!)

Cheers

• Irozage
    Options

The problem is that my computer wont boot up, because it can't recognize my ssd with windows on. So i figured i had to check if it was correctly inserted. However, that giant **bleep** gpu is blocking the way, and i can't seem to figure out how to remove it.

Any suggestions at all, other than replacing the SSD?

• SamRony
    Options
    I recall I had to tinker in the BIOS / boot config ALOT! Like alot to get the system to boot from the Samsung SSD in SATA connection. It had an extra option to enable, but at the end I am booting from it.

Sorry the system is in another continent now! I would have checked it for you and pasted info here as it might help.
    Cheers
  • Irozage
    Options

My SSD isn't showing up in the BIOS. That's the first place i tried to mess around, but it didn't solve my problem unfortunatly.

• SamRony
    Options
    I am sure you did this, we all start tinkering with BIOS at first.

I had this also, it drove me crazy, it was not showing in BIOS at first, I cannot recall what other options I had to tick for it, but... finally ... made the SSD visible!

Just make sure SSD is connected to first 2 SATA as most likely it will be 6GB channel/speed ... and power connected .... then start "Tinker" alot more in the BIOS ...

I am sure you will work it out ...

Cheers,