Aspire 5532, trying to flash BIOS

71Chevelle
71Chevelle Member Posts: 14 New User

Aspire 5532, trying to flash BIOS.  I found an answer, it is archived, and followed it precisely but I haven't been able to get it to work.  When I hold the FN + EXC key and press the PWR button all it does is ask me the boot device to use. If I let it continue it boots up normally.  What I am trying to fix is the black screen problem, all the places I have looked say to update the BIOS.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,845 Trailblazer

>>> If I let it continue it boots up normally.  What I am trying to fix is the black screen problem, all the places I have looked say to update the BIOS.>>>

Stop trying to mess with the bios! I'll bet that your system worked fine with the existing bios for years before you experienced your first black screen episodes. I'll also bet you have a habit of opening/closing the lid a lot especially whenever you step away awhile and take a break from the machine.

That said, I suggest you first try to HDMI or VGA out to an external TV or monitor to check to make sure your video adapter is OK. You may have to toggle the Fn+F5 or Fn+F6 key combos to turn it on or off. Report back.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• 71Chevelle

I tried it and yes an external monitor does work.  I can see the screen image on the black screen if I look real close.  So how do I get the back lighting to come on?

• JackE

Good. The video adapter and existing bios firmware seem to be OK. My best guesses are that either the video ribbon cable has developed a break(usually near the hinge area) or its connectors to the screen and motherboard needed to be cleaned by re-seating them a half-dozen or so times.

I suggest you first try re-seating the connectors. The keyboard and screen bezel need to be removed to access these connectors. Google the keywords "5532" "youtube" "disassembly" for video demos on how to do this. Make sure you remove the battery and power before attempting this. Unfortunately, the keyboard is affixed to the laptop case using about a half-dozen plastic catches near its top and side edges. They're prone to breaking off when doing so. But the keyboard can be adequately held to the case on re-assembly with black electrician tape if you break too many catches. The tape is hardly noticeable. The other problem is the connector to the screen is usually held in place with a sticky gummy tape that needs to come off in order to re-seat it. 

If re-seating the connectors doesn't resolve the issue, then I suggest that you replace the whole ribbon cable itself which includes the cam connection. They're less than $20 from Amazon with free shipping.

http://www.amazon.com/Generic-Laptop-Emachines-Replacement-DC020000Y00/dp/B00N8HBUS8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453607763&sr=8-1&keywords=5532+video+cable

Good luck

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• 71Chevelle

Thanks!  I'll tackle it this week and post the results.

Much Thanks,

71Chevelle

• 71Chevelle

Since I was going to take it apart I thought I would go ahead and replace the video cable.  I haven't received the cable yet so no update yet.

• JackE

Thanks for the "no update" update. 8^)

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• 71Chevelle

Received the new cable and installed it.  Still no laptop screen, it is black but if I shine a light on it I can see the desktop and all the icons.  I do have an external display attached and everything is working except the laptop screen.  Now what should I do?

• JackE

I've been assuming that the Acer bios logo only appears on the external monitor, not the laptop screen. So let's try to get into the bios menu by tapping the F2 at the logo screen. Check thru the menu options using your external monitor, particularly the advanced menu, for any settings that might seem out of place but don't try to change anything right now. Exit the bios menu without saving any changes. Sometimes, not often though, entering the bios like this can refresh its original defaults and get all systems working again. Report back with results and we'll proceed from there.

Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• JackE

Also, I just wanna make double sure that you've also tried testing the toggle screen on/off functions, Fn+F5 and Fn+F6 key combos.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• 71Chevelle

Yes I did the togle F5 and it made no difference.

• JackE

Sorry but I want to make sure you meant the Fn+F5 and the Fn+F6 double-key combos, not just pressing the F5 or the F6 keys by themselves. What did the bios menu show?

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• 71Chevelle

BIOS is password protected, unfortunately the person I got the laptop from doesn't know the password.  So the question is how do I remove the BIOS password?

• 71Chevelle

I also ment to say I did use the function key and F5 to try and change the monitor.

• JackE

You can try to reset the bios by either of these two methods. Remove battery and power supply.

(1) Open the door to the ram memory module compartment. You may have to remove one or two small screws to do so. Check to see if there may be 2 or 3 pins on the motherboard, two of which may have a small connector between them. Remove the connector and place it between the center and the other pin. Press and hold the power button for a minute or so to remove all charge from the system. Move connector back to the way you found it. 

(2) If you don't find any pins in the memory module compartment, you will then have to remove the CMOS button cell on the motherboard that keeps the bios charged in password-protected mode. Short the connections in the cell holder/terminals and press hold power button for minute or so. Then replace the button cell.

Hopefully this will allow you to enter and then exit the bios menu. I suggest not using bios password protection.

If the screen still won't illuminate after bios re-set, you can try flashing it again but I doubt it''ll fix the issue. Since you already replaced the ribbon cable, it's more likely that either the fluorescent lamp, it's power inverter, or both have bitten the dust. The inverter boards for your model are cheap. Some even come with the lamp.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• peptobismal
    peptobismal Member Posts: 31 Troubleshooter

https://www.technibble.com/how-to-bypass-or-remove-a-bios-password/

This seems like a really good article, maybe a bit more in depth than the above the response; however, it seems more geared toward desktops which is not the case here. Also, includes some "back door" passwords that may work, dunno if they work, but I think knowing these is pretty useful/neat in itself. However, could be a long process... as, I do see Phoenix, but no Acer-specific password so if Acer set one themselves you may be barking up the wrong tree..

Also, there are some sites that show a CMOS-reset through Command Prompt and the like, but I would highly suggest not personally trying to jack with the BIOS especially on the OS/Application layer. You might reboot and find out that your computer is now to be sold for parts!

Go with the above CMOS battery removal, it is the tride, true, and safe for effectively resetting the BIOS. Your computer BIOS and OS will forget what time it is at the next boot, but that will be the only downside. Man Wink

• 71Chevelle

I have watched the video that shows how to take the laptop apart but I get so far in doing it and then the case won't seperate and I'm afraid to force it because I'm afraid I'll break it.  So haven't resolved reseting the BIOS password. Acer is supposed to have a piece of software, clnpwd, that is supposed to reset the BIOS password, but I can't find it on a trusted site to download it and try it.

If I flash the BIOS will that reset the password?

I did replace the power regulator for the display but that didn't work either. I really don't want to spend anymore money on the laptop, so at this point in time I don't want to try replacing the monitor and back lighting. 

• JackE

Password re-setting software is risky, not only because you really don't know what you're downloading, but it could also totally brick your laptop. Bios flashing is also risky for the latter reason.

At this point, I still lean heavily toward a hardware issue ---  the fluorescent backlight if you've already replaced the inverter. However, if you're still determined to re-set the bios, I think you should apply a bit more wedge leverage to separate the case as shown in whatever video you're relying on and you've removed all the screws including those in the battery compartment. Don't worry too much about breaking a few plastic clips off the case --- my own laptop has many broken clips but nothing that electrician tape can't handle. 8^) I assume you couldn't find the bios re-set pins inside the ram module compartment???

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• 71Chevelle

I've rewatched the video to take apart the case to access the mobo and I think I missed two screws inder the keyboard so I'll try it again by the end of the week.

I don't see any jumper or soldered pins under the memory that look like anything I've seen in any of the videos.

• JackE

>>>I don't see any jumper or soldered pins under the memory>>>

They wouldn't be under the memory modules but somewhere around their periphery in the module compartment. At any rate, good luck with getting access to the CMOS cell. And yeah, don't miss any screws cuz that'll really mess things up. 8^0

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• 71Chevelle

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to this forum. I thought I had the case apart, found four screws under the keyboard and another one under the cover containing the power button and another four at the hinges for the screen, but it seems like there is at least one or more screws I can't find located somewhere in the same area as the hinges for the screen.

Ran out of time so I put it back together and now I can't get it to boot up, tried booting up using a Windows 7 Repair Disc but it would even boot off the disc.  Now another problem to solve.  What did I do to cause this problem?