Predator 17 G9-791-73ET - TRACKPAD not properly functional & drivers missing

Options
Kezraw
Kezraw Member Posts: 2 New User

set up my laptop, and noticed that the trackpad handling was god-awful, just TERRIBLE. some strokes weren't properly read and when left-clicking, the mouse speed suddenly turns up to twice the usual speed.

so, i checked, disabled mouse pointer acceleration, and didn't see the usual tab in the mouse configurations tha tlets you handle a couple detailed settings (drag-lock, zoom, scroll etc.) and i restarted the laptop, thinking maybe windows still needs to find the proper driver, but nah.

So, I was left with no driver for the trackpad, and there is no driver available for download on the official acer website for the Predator 17 G9-791. 

Now what? I'm thinking about returning the laptop straight back to the retailer, unless I can somehow fix this problem. I have already seen a review where the reviewer had zoom options for the trackpad, using the same series of laptop I am using ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aiYDgtAaiys ).

Answers

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

Hi Kezraw,

The touchpad in the Predator laptops is a Microsoft Precision Touchpad, there is no driver available because it shouldn't allow for complete deletion from the system, and if it does, it should reinstall.

As far as the handling going, the TP seems to get pretty positive reviews considering most expect a USB mouse to be used. Unfortunately, the predator here with me is completely torn apart for a review, so I can't say if the pinch to zoom should be working. It is possible in the video you linked that the reviewer had a different touchpad than what went final.

I might suggest considering a system recovery, which can be started from Acer Care Center. as this would take care of any potential issues with the TP and ensure it's loaded properly. Another option would be contacting our service team for additional support.

Thanks,
    Cory

• thomask6
    thomask6 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

I bought this same model today and had the same issues as the OP here.

As for unresponsive touchpad I would like to add here that after playing around

with some settings the setting called "help prevent cursor moving while you type",

delay is on by default and does cause the cursor to stall if moving if while pressing

a keyboard key.

Turn of the delay and the problem is solved.

However the issue with cursor speeding up while pressing either mouse button

I still have as well.

I would also like to ask if there is any way of enabling zoom in / out while

dragging your finger up / down on the right side of the touchpad?

This has been possible with all touchpads I had earlier,

I know one can use 2 pinch zoom but I prefer the up/down scrolling option

to zoom in and out in games.

• cskaley
    cskaley Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I'm having the same problem with my trackpad. I am doing a lot of photo editing and the mouse/ trackpad is difficult to control, either  hypersensative or irratic responsivene. It is taking me three times longer to get anything accomplished because of all the 'undo' and 'redo'. Even reading email, it deletes 2 or 3 messages at a time instead of just one.

I have had it for less than a week and this makes me want to return it.  So dissappointing.

• thomask6
    thomask6 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

I bought mine with a 30 day return policy and ended up returning it and swapped

for a different brand, couldn't have been happier with that decision.

Personally the mousepad is important to me and I did tinker alot with settings etc. without

things getting any better, I also had issues with the right mouse button not "releasing" fast enough

ending up with unwanted "drag and drop" movements in games which got really annoying.

The sharp edge below the mousepad was also somewhat hurting after extensive use.

I went for a laptop with Synaptics touchpad like I've always had before, I will personally avoid

laptops with a Microsoft touchpad in the future.

• PredatorMan
    PredatorMan Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I have a G9-791-78CE and the touch pad works fine and zooms in and out with pinch motion. It shows up as HID-compliant touch pad using Microsoft driver with Win 10 64 home.