BSOD on new computer?

Options
kelbel
kelbel Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited March 2023 in 2016 Archives

I have a brand new Aspire TC-115, it's only been in use for less than 8 days.

Almost immediately, it started getting the BSOD error ~ SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

I believe this is a driver issue. I've looked it up on the Windows website, and it looks like a common problem ~ although it seems like it has occurred on older computers, not brand new ones.

My computer is running on Windows 8.1, Firefox. I've installed Norton 360. I also have it on a back up battery. It's completely hard wired (ethernet, mouse & keyboard). The first BSOD was on the second day of use. I bought this for my husband ~ who only uses it for email, news, and playing games on Facebook.

I don't know if this is doing harm to the computer. If this will be causing problems in the future, I will send it back & get a new one. This should not be having ANY problems in such a short time!

If anyone can help me out with a quick & SIMPLE fix, then PLEASE HELP. The only thing that I've done is to run the sfc/scannow command. It didn't pick anything up. I'd also appreciate any advice on whether or not I should return this for a new one.

THANK YOU! I APPRECIATE ALL RESPONSES!

Answers

• finlux
    finlux ACE Posts: 1,834 Pathfinder
    Options

Hi Kelbel

Your BSoD often refers to Graphic card based errors - drivers or otherwise.

Try, in the first instance to update the driver. Go to Acer Support for your region, then go to the Drivers & Manual section. Enter your model & select your OS & click the Driver tab. Yours will either be Nvidia or Intel Graphics.

Once downloaded, restart & keep a check on things. Let me know if you have any more issues.

• kelbel
    Options

Thank you (again)!

I will go try this, right now! I'll give it a week to see if it works, then I'll either mark as solved, or ask for your help again.

I REALLY DO APPRECIATE YOUR QUICK RESPONSE TO MY POSTS!! IT'S BEEN A LIFESAVER!!

Kelly

• finlux
    Options
    Great!

Fingers crossed!!
  • kelbel
    Options

I've downloaded this driver update:  NVIDA VGA driver (version 9.18.13.3302 fmi).

Wait... I don't want to sound dumb, but after I extracted it, is that all I have to do? Is it all on my computer now?

(I HAVE extracted this update. Was I NOT SUPPOSED TO? Too late!)

I'll be standing by, waiting for your reply.

THANK YOU, AGAIN!

K

• finlux
    Options

Hi Kelly!

When you download the driver, open the folder & look for a file called setup (the file type is an application) - just double click to start the installation!

Follow on screen instructions, you may need to restart the computer, but afterwards you're good to go...

• kelbel
    Options

You've been SO PATIENT & KIND WITH ME! I APPRECIATE IT SO MUCH!

I opened it, and this came up... Now I feel like a bother. I'll be back tomorrow to see if you've replied to me. I'll understand if you don't. Maybe I should start over from step 1 again?

THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP & PATIENCE!

NVIDIA installer cannot continue.jpg

• finlux
    Options

Hello Again!

You're not a bother at all - it's my pleasure to help! Smiley Happy

OK, so are you 100% sure that it IS Nvidia graphics? Your model may just have Intel graphics. If you're not certain, download & install the Intel graphics & see what happens.

And as for starting over again, that's not a bad idea, see here for a refresh option. Or you could go the whole hog & do a complete re-installation (just remember to back up all your data first) see here for that.

If you're STILL having issues after all that, then it may point to an underlying issue elsewhere....

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer
    Options
    If memory serves me right. That is kind of like my xc-115 with an Amd cpu. So the graphics on your system I think is going to be an AMD R3 or R4 graphics.

Just trying to help some.
    James
  • finlux
    Options

Thanks James, and apologies to Kelly!

The TC-115 indeed has a choice of AMD or NVIDIA graphics and NOT intel! I guess I should have double-checked Smiley Embarassed

Kelly - as I previously posted but try the AMD graphics driver & not the Intel ones as I previously suggested!

• kelbel
    Options

sorry I haven't been back! I'm going to start all over with the ACER updater page. I'll try the other graphics update, and let you know what happens.

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!! I'M SO SORRY I HAVEN'T RETURNED SOONER!

Let's keep our fingers crossed!

kelly

• finlux
    Options

Hi Kelly

Good luck Smiley Wink

• kelbel
    Options

ok. I tried the first one again & got the same message.

NOW, I've updated the AMD and everything went ok. SO.... I guess I just wait & see!!!

THANK YOU, AGAIN, FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP!! I APPRECIATE IT SOOOOOO MUCH!!!!!!

• finlux
    Options

Wow - great Smiley Very Happy

Any more problems, just let me know!

• RevoMaxx
    Options
    Glad you got it worked out.

James
  • kelbel
    Options

I was so hopeful. But, today I got 2 more BSOD...

I believe this computer is under warranty still. Do you guys think that I should send it back for a new one? I'm a little bothered by the fact that I'm having an issue right away. But, if anyone has another idea on what I can do from here, I am willing to try it.

Can someone please answer this, tho? Is this doing any harm to this computer? It has been pretty predictable that the BSOD happens a short time after a reboot. If that helps.

I'm so sad that this didn't work out. But, I will certainly appreciate any further ideas on this!

Thanks!

Kelly

• finlux
    Options

Hi Kelly

Sorry you've still got issues with your PC. You could try to do a full restore (back up first!) to see if that helps, but to be honest, contact support as you've almost certainly got a fault.

• kelbel
    Options

@finlux @RevoMaxx

Hello again!

I decided to give your solution one more try!

I don't know if this has ANYTHING to do with ANYTHING, but when I updated the first time, I was in Administrator profile. So, I started all over again, only this time in the User profile (as Admin).

It went through the AMD update again, without any problems. THAT WAS 7 DAYS (and nights) AGO ~ AND NO BSOD! This is the longest it's gone without a crash. **knock wood** So, I'm pretty optimistic. (please cross your fingers!)

NOW, I was wondering if you can answer a question?

I always thought that whenever I use System Restore, add new software or hardware to the computer, or make any changes to the hard drive, I should use the Administrator profile ~ not the User profile. I know that I can also 'Run as Admin' there, but I hate the hassle of passwords.

So, am I wrong about this? And, if so, WHAT EXACTLY are the guidelines for making these changes?

(I have the Admin. profile set up, with a password, because my husband thinks his facebook friends know more about his computer than I do. He can't do much harm without a password! LoL)

I know I don't know some technical terms, but, I do understand most of what you tell me. And, I don't believe I'm doing anything wrong, here. But, I've been wrong before!

AGAIN ~~ Keep your fingers crossed and keep believing that my BSOD problem is SOLVED! And, as always, THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH FOR ALL OF YOUR HELP & PATIENCE!!!!! I APPRECIATE YOU SO MUCH!!

Kelly

• RevoMaxx
    Options

Good to hear that after a week so far you haven't had any issues.... Knocking on my Desk for you... LOL 

About running as Admin. There are times that you need to Run things as Admin or they just won't work.. I do have a few computers running that are not set up as Admin accounts to make sure that I know what is being installed or so the kids don't make some changes to the system that would need a restore to save.. Again it is to have control over the system. My other sytems that are not touched by my family members are all set up as Admin and still get the message are you sure... 

There are some good reasons to have the First user set to Admin and then other users that you add on as Basic. Main thing for me is incase the kids forget the log in password I can help them reset it.. Other then that it is your system and I would run it as you like.. 

Hope the problems stay away.. Not sure there is any reason it wouldn't have an issue as a Basic user. However if it is working like that for now. I would keep it that way.. Infact. Seeing you have a Admin setup Maybe try to log on only the admin to see if you can get it to Do the Blue agian.. IF it did give an issue, Note the time and check the Event logs and see what the issue could be... 

Keeping my Fingers crossed for you

James

• finlux
    Options

** Fingers, legs & toes crossed ** Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

• kelbel
    Options

Wow.

Thank you for all the information! I guess I'll continue to make any changes to that computer as Admin. I don't want anyone to make changes that I'm not aware of ~ because it's always my job to find & correct any problems that occur. I even have an Admin. profile on my own computer, even though I'm the only one using it. I always want to be reminded that I'm making a change that can affect everything!

So, another day has gone by without a BSOD!! YAY! I'm going to give it another week before I mark this as "Solved", but I'm feeling Lucky! Besides, I have @finlux AND you AND me ~ all crossing fingers, toes, legs, and ???

I can't tell you how much I appreciate all of your help. And patience. Thank you a billion times over!

Kelly