Iconia one 10 b3-A20 won't wake after deep sleep without rebooting

LisMorris
LisMorris Member Posts: 10 New User
edited March 4 in 2018 Archives

I've answered a couple of questions so now I'll ask mine Smiley Happy.

I've had a problem with my Iconia B3-A20 tablet ever since I first got it: it won't wake if it has been asleep for more than a few minutes unless I hold down the power button and reboot it.

Here's what I've tried so far:

- A factory reset

- Installing all Acer Liveupdates.

- Running the Nova Launcher instead of Acer Home (this was done to get rid of that left hand screen, but I thought I'd mention it)

- Enabling/disabling EZ wakeup

- Enabling/disabling Acer Liveupdate

- Setting wifi sleep mode to 'always'. (This suggestion was made for the same problem in android 3.1, I figured what the heck)

Has anyone else had this problem, and is there a solution? I'm pretty tech savvy (I build PCs as a hobby!), and I'm happy to install firmware etc if need be.

Best Answer

• LisMorris
    Answer ✓

Eh, I've done it again and solved my own problem :/. I'll record it here so others have the solution.

After doing some intensive research (i.e. googling stuff), I found out that refusing to wake can be caused by an app crashing the system on wakeup. After checking various apps, I found it was google cloud print and the Acer Smartcoverapp causing the difficulties. Since I don't intend to use Cloud print (the apps released by the printer manufacturers are quick and efficient), and I don't have a smart cover, I disabled them both and now it wakes instantly from sleep.

Here's how to disable an app:

- Go to settings and choose 'apps'.

- Swipe the screen sideways until you reach the 'All' tab. Scroll down to find the app you wish to disable.

- Tap on the app's name

- This will bring up a screen with two large buttons near the top:'force stop' and 'disable'. Depending on the app, there might be a third that reads 'uninstall updates'. If the 'disable' button is greyed out, this is a system app and can't be removed.

- Click on 'disable'. Depending on the app, you might be asked if you wish to uninstall updates. Click yes.

- Done!

How to enable an app:

Just in case you disabled something and then need it in the future, you can re-enable it again:

- Swipe the screen sideways until you reach the 'Disabled tab. Scroll down to find the app you wish to enable.

- Tap on the app's name.

- This will bring up a screen with a button that says 'Enable'. Click on it.

- Done! But remember to update the app to the newest version! If you haven't faffed about with your settings, this should happen automatically. Otherwise, go to Google Play, click on the three little lines at the top of the home screen, and choose 'my apps'- you can update things from there.

Hope this article is helpful.

Answers

• LisMorris
    Answer ✓

Eh, I've done it again and solved my own problem :/. I'll record it here so others have the solution.

After doing some intensive research (i.e. googling stuff), I found out that refusing to wake can be caused by an app crashing the system on wakeup. After checking various apps, I found it was google cloud print and the Acer Smartcoverapp causing the difficulties. Since I don't intend to use Cloud print (the apps released by the printer manufacturers are quick and efficient), and I don't have a smart cover, I disabled them both and now it wakes instantly from sleep.

Here's how to disable an app:

- Swipe the screen sideways until you reach the 'All' tab. Scroll down to find the app you wish to disable.

- Tap on the app's name

- This will bring up a screen with two large buttons near the top:'force stop' and 'disable'. Depending on the app, there might be a third that reads 'uninstall updates'. If the 'disable' button is greyed out, this is a system app and can't be removed.

- Click on 'disable'. Depending on the app, you might be asked if you wish to uninstall updates. Click yes.

- Done!

How to enable an app:

Just in case you disabled something and then need it in the future, you can re-enable it again:

- Swipe the screen sideways until you reach the 'Disabled tab. Scroll down to find the app you wish to enable.

- Tap on the app's name.

- This will bring up a screen with a button that says 'Enable'. Click on it.

- Done! But remember to update the app to the newest version! If you haven't faffed about with your settings, this should happen automatically. Otherwise, go to Google Play, click on the three little lines at the top of the home screen, and choose 'my apps'- you can update things from there.

Hope this article is helpful.

• LisMorris

Drat it, it's started happening again. I guess I might need to take it in to be repaired after all!

• olivern_99
    olivern_99 Member Posts: 1 New User

Hello, 

I purchased this for my mother in law and she is experiencing the same issue, does it need to be sent for repair? It's less than 2 weeks old so I'm hoping I can do a straight swap with the retailer. 

Cheers

Neil. 

• BerryMan
    BerryMan Member Posts: 1 New User
    OK, so..

I realize it's late from the creation of the thread but i'll contribute with what I know and what i've noticed, while specifying my current working equipment.

two years ago i bought an Acer Iconia 8 tablet, but some odd days after purche it started doing what's described on this thread about the lockup; since i don't live in the US and my mother had little skills with technology in general, the tablet faded from common memory.

fastforward to 2 weeks ago, i remembered we had it and asked to have it. Got it working again with same problem of random lockups... that didn't seem random at all.

I started noticing after a week or so that some apps are more likely to permalock the tablet, and all of them have the requirement of wifi to work, even while in sleep, so i tested some of them by only leaving one app at a time open for 20 minutes and see if i got the permalock.

Noticed that while permalocked, the tablet is not off (obviously); that means that the trick of using the power + volume up buttons to reset it is not needed and instead, by pressing the power button for some 20 odd seconds, releasing it and then pressing it for 3 seconds would boot the tablet normally; this also means that the tablet does register the power button but it's like if it went to sleep mode while in sleep mode (Best analogy i've got for Deepsleep) so when "waking", it wakes to sleepmode (this is what i think is happening) or is stuck on the "waking" part.

Tablet: ACER Iconia Tab 8 A1-840
    Android Version: 4.4.4

Apps tested - Result

Telegram .                   Not locked
    Calculator(offline app) - Not locked
    CM Browser -               Not locked
    Netflix -                      Locked
    Youtube -                    Locked

I think this has to do with the "battery optimization on Wifi" and the "Keep wifi on while in sleep if its connected"  Settings.

I'll try more testing along the week and see if playing with these settings actually fixes it.

Later.