Ubuntu on E5 573G-71L9 - black screen after menu on Live USB

eelcoherder
eelcoherder Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited March 20 in 2019 Archives

I already asked this question at Ask Ubuntu, but hopefully you will be able to provide me with more Acer-specific advices.

I just bought an Acer Aspire E15 (E5 573G-71L9) with an NVIDIA Geforce 940M, Intel Core i7-5500U processor, 15.6'' FHD LED LCD, and Windows 10 Home pre-installed. The default boot method is UEFI - Secure Boot.

I created 700 GB free disk space by shrinking the Windows partition in Windows 10. I created a bootable USB stick using the Startup Disk Creator in Ubuntu with an ISO of Ubuntu 15.10 64-bit (the checksum is correct).

After having changed the boot order to have the USB stick first, I got the GRUB2 menu. After selecting 'Trying Ubuntu without installing', I got a blank/black screen. The 'working light' on the USB stick did not flash anymore, indicating that nothing was happening.

I tried the following proposed fixes, without success:

- Replacing 'quiet splash' with 'nomodeset' (assuming it was the graphic card)

- Using an external monitor (for the same reason, using both 'quiet splash' and 'nomodeset')

- Setting the boot method to 'Legacy' (no valid boot device was found)

- Disabling 'secure boot' in UEFI (still blank screen after grub)

- Adding the two files in BOOT/EFI (or was it EFI/BOOT..) to trusted boot methods and putting them on top of the boot order (still blank screen after grub)

In addition, I tried to run the live USB of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and Mint 17.3 (normal and compatibility mode). I also burned Ubuntu 15.10 on a DVD. In all cases, after having selected an option from the menu, I got a black screen. Both the CPU and the graphic card are used in 'Ubuntu certified systems'.

With that, it looks like I covered virtually all suggestions given in 'similar questions' and I have no clue how to continue. Suggestions, pointers to similar questions that I may have missed and other help would be much appreciated. Are there any tests that I can carry out to find the probable cause of the black screen? Thanks.

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

I don't know why it won't work.

But you can try Lubuntu............

http://lubuntu.net/

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • eelcoherder

Tinkerer

Thanks! Updating the BIOS from version 1.25 to 1.31 did the trick indeed. The reason is that version 1.25 did not support Linux at all (probably a bug).

It still did not work out of the box: I had to manually add \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi to the boot sequence in order to get the GRUB menu (the entry was not automatically added).

So now I have a working Ubuntu environment. But... the wireless lan is not working. I will have to look into that tomorrow, but looking at the first quick search results, it seems that the network card is not supported...

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

You welcome. Smiley Happy

• Mich
    Mich Member Posts: 25 Troubleshooter

Hi,

(my notebook Acer E5-573G-50CW with Windows 10, I would like to install dual boot with Kubuntu)

i have a similar problem, but the problem with live Kubuntu I resolved with this topic .

Really my notebook bios is 1.15, infact I installed Kubuntu without problems.

Well, now my problem is grub does not appear, after reboot Windows 10 starts immediately.

The respons of Boot reapir is this.

p.s. I apologize for my English is not correct.

• Mich
    Mich
    Hi,

(my notebook Acer E5-573G-50CW with Windows 10, I would like to install dual boot with Kubuntu)

i have a similar problem, but the problem with live Kubuntu I resolved with this topic

Really my notebook bios is 1.15, infact I installed Kubuntu without problems.

Well, now my problem is grub does not appear, after reboot Windows 10 starts immediately.

Can you help me solve my problem??.

• JordanB

Edited:

• eelcoherder

Tinkerer

If I understand you correctly, the Ubuntu/Grub entry has not been added to the boot menu, or at least not placed on top. This was also the case for me, as I wrote in a previous post:

"It still did not work out of the box: I had to manually add \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi to the boot sequence in order to get the GRUB menu (the entry was not automatically added)."

In more detail, in the InsydeH20 Bios, you need to set a password in order to play around with the advanced settings. Check in the Boot tab that Secure Boot is activated. Then go to the Security tab and add \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi as a safe/secure boot option (should be called something like this, I don't have the bios at hand). Give it a proper name like 'Ubuntu'. Save and exit and then go to the bios again. In the boot tab, your Ubuntu boot option should be listed. Move F6 to get it to the top. Save and exit.

Is this what you are looking for?

• JordanB

Mich,

Did you understand what he's saying?  He said he's going in to his BIOS to add the entry.  You'll have to do the same.  See eelcoherder's post.

• Mich

In my case the menu Grub does not appera right, after reboot start Windows 10.

Spoiler
    Check in the Boot tab that Secure Boot is activated. Then go to the Security tab and add \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi as a safe/secure boot option (should be called something like this, I don't have the bios at hand).

In the security tab of InsydeH20 Bios there is this:

Secure Boot Mode:                    Standard

Erase all Secure Boot Setting:    [Enter]

Select an UEFI file as trusted:    [Enter]

for executing:

Restore Secure Boot to               [Enter]

Factory Default:                  

I have to add \EFI\ubuntu\grubx64.efi in the <<Select an UEFI file as trusted for excuting>>?

Did I understand it right??    

• eelcoherder

Tinkerer

Mich, yes that is exactly what you need to do. And, as I wrote in my previous post, you should give it a proper name like 'Ubuntu'. Save and exit and then go to the bios again. In the boot tab, your Ubuntu boot option should be listed. Move F6 to get it to the top. Save and exit. Good luck, it is easier than it may sound.

• Mich

This is what i found in the >Selected an UEfI file... 

Enter on ---->    HDD0

Enter on ----->   <EFI>

<boot-sav>

<.>

<..>

Enter on ---->     <ubuntu>

<OEM>

<Microsoft>

<Boot>

<.>

<..>

shimx64.efi

grubx64.efi

MokManager.efi

I have not changed anything.

• Mich

I found this and this what you think??

As I understand it, you should rename the three modules Uefi ubuntu??!! 

• areyuredi
    areyuredi Member Posts: 3 New User

HI I've tried various parameters written on forums such as nomodeset or nvidia.modeset=0 All seems to give me black screen after clicking the "try ubuntu". My laptop is aspire V574G, I just udpated my bios from 1.25 to 1.31 and I was able to successfully go to ubuntu desktop after bios update. 

• 700ghz
    700ghz Member Posts: 4 New User

Hey guys, as I can see the topic is resolved. Is it really true? 
    Or acer didn't resolve the issue during the year? (If so I am wondered)

• loading27
    loading27 Member Posts: 1 New User
    The solution from eelcoherder solved my problem on Acer R7-371T.  :)