Iconia B1-770 Update requires SD Card?

ncnmra
ncnmra Member Posts: 6 New User
edited March 4 in 2018 Archives

Just got one of these for my kids for Christmas.  I ran the initialization wizard, and a few minutes later got a notification that there is a system update. Great!  However, when I try to run it it says "No SD Card".  Is it really required to have an external SD card to do an update?  It says it is ~350MB, and there is over 10GB free space on the tablet!

If it really is required to have an SD Card to do an update, I'm taking this thing back.  It would be ridiculous that an brand new tablet cannot be updated without an additional accessory.

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓

yes, it needs a microSD to do the updates; on some android device this is mandatory due to security reasons on flashing updates or systems.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

yes, it needs a microSD to do the updates; on some android device this is mandatory due to security reasons on flashing updates or systems.

• ncnmra

Thanks for the reply.  IMHO, that's poor form;  So now I need to go out and buy accessories for a tablet that won't allow an update out of the box.  It would be helpful if they at least put this information on the box or in the manual instead of the 1000 other useless bits of information (I realize I'm being sarcastic, but these types of limitations just annoy me).

Can I use any SD card to do the update quickly?  ie: I have one for my camera, but I don't want it to get formatted.

• IronFly

must be microSD and it's better to don't use your camera SD.

• ncnmra
    Yes; microSD of course. I copied all my photos off the card and stuck it in the tablet. I was able to update the tablet and my photos were left untouched.

Boo to Google and to Acer for this pathetic design. Never heard of a device that you can't update without extra Accesories.
  • aparizeau
    aparizeau Member Posts: 1 New User

This as nothing to do with google (at least in a major part) and all to do with Acer. The way they configured there tablet causes this issue. I don't have an SD card on my moto 360 and I can update my device no problem.

I got one for my daughter and NO WHERE is it indicated that you NEED an SD card. In the booklet, it state, that IF you need additional storage.

Very disappointing, espacially that you can't do important systeme updates without an SD card. 

Acer, you should've indicated this on your package so that the consumer you have been properly informed.

• Shaun45
    Shaun45 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Can I get the update link