Aspre X3910 won't shut down or restart in Normal boot mode...

Options
Bufflee01
Bufflee01 Member Posts: 1 New User

Trying to troubleshoot an Acer Aspire X3910 for a friend. Here are the current issues:

• In normal boot mode, Internet Explorer 9 does not work. Clicking on the Explorer icon only spins the cursor for a few seconds and then reverts back to the normal arrow cursor.
  • When trying to shut-down or restart the computer, it gets stuck in the Logging Off page. Have to press and hold the power button to get the computer to finally shut-down.
  • Normal shut-down and restart only work in Safe Mode.
  • The computer hangs when doing a normal Windows update, virus scans, and moving/copying files to a USB hard drive.

What I have tried so far:

• Boot up in Safe Mode and ran Malwarebytes, Tdsskiller.exe, Microsoft Security Essentials, McAfee security scan, Microsoft Fix It -- no virus/spyware found.
  • Performed clean start up using msconfig -- no change.
  • Adusting the ACPI settings in BIOS -- no change.
  • Disabling all the ADD-ONS in IE9.
  • Reset IE9 to original default settings.

What I haven't tried:

• Complete system restore to last working point -- can't risk completely messing up friend's computer.
  • Boot from disk -- don't know if this disk exists or came with computer purchase.
  • Download latest BIOS & Drivers from Acer's website -- The BIOS file version & date on website is older than one that is already installed on computer

PLEASE HELP!!!! THANKS!!

Answers

• Blayn-Acer
    Blayn-Acer Administrator Posts: 2,355 Community Administrator
    Options

Unfortunately, I do not have any quick fix that I feel would resolve your friends issues. It is possibly something that was installed or is running that is causing these issues. I would recommend trying a complete system recovery, to see if it resolves the issues. You would need to back up any important data first. You can recover your system and reload Windows using the instructions at http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/12869.

• fajon77
    fajon77 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I have an acer aspire one d225 an the restart function doesn't work. If I choose Resart from the Shutdown options or if a program needs to restart the computer to finish installation, the computer seems to shut down but the power light stays on and the computer will not restart. I have to hold the start button for 7 sec to force it to turn off and then puse then push the power button again to get it to start. Is there something that can be done to correct this malfunction?

This discussion has been closed.