Predator X34 - Win 10 Can't overclock

Halicron
Halicron Member Posts: 6 New User

Hi folks, I've been going through the forum and trying various answers, suggestions, and solutions presented. I can't get my Predator over 60hz! The OSD for FPS never goes over 60 fps. I'm running an i4690 at 4.5ghz, GTX 970s in SLI with the latest drivers/BIOS; I'm using a 1.2v MDP to DP, 3' cable. I have 32 GB of RAM and I'm using a Maximus VII Formula MOBO. The system is water cooled. I've done a fresh Win10 installation, fresh Nvidia Experience and NVCP installation, and I've made sure I have the most recent available driver for my monitor. 

No matter how I go at it, I can't get the monitor to go over 60hz. The OSD shows 60hz; NVCP shows 60hz; Windows Display Adapter shows 60hz. Anytime I try to change the NVCP or WDA, the screen flickers once, I get a 'No Signal!' error, and then it reassumes the 60hz setting. 

The only thing I haven't yet tried is a new DisplayPort cable-- that'll be  here on Wednesday. Does anyone have ANY other suggestions or ideas? Thanks!

Answers

• Pagus85
    Pagus85 Member Posts: 8 New User

Did you attempt to change to refresh under the windows display settings? I had to go to diplay properties, choose advanced ( on windows 10, going off top of head as I'm writing from work but this should get you in right direction) then click on the second tab ( I think) and choose to change refresh rate. Once I did this I was able to change and proper refresh would show in NCP.

• Pagus85
    Pagus85 Member Posts: 8 New User

These are the correct insructions that I think might help.

Right click background> Display Settings > Advanced Display Settings > select the x34 > display adapter properties > monitor tab >  change to 100hz

• Halicron

I did try this, yes. Same issue- screen goes blank, flashes 'No Signal', then the display timer resets and it snaps back to 60hz.

• Vandragorax
    Vandragorax Member Posts: 124 Die Hard WiFi Icon

It does sound very much like a cable issue to me and I think a replacement will resolve this for you.  Are you using the one out of the box?  Smiley Happy

Also if you haven't tried it yet, use the monitor OSD to do a "Factory reset" and see if that then allows you to overclock it properly.

• Halicron

Tried a factory reset, but no dice-- still  getting the no signal error when I try to set my refresh rate over 60 in the NVCP or Windows Display. 

This is the cable I'm using:  http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T0Z44V2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00> 

• Vandragorax
    Vandragorax Member Posts: 124 Die Hard WiFi Icon

Halicron wrote:

Tried a factory reset, but no dice-- still  getting the no signal error when I try to set my refresh rate over 60 in the NVCP or Windows Display. 

This is the cable I'm using:  http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T0Z44V2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00> 

Really?  You only have to read the first 1 star review on there to see:

"Cable only worked at 1.1 display port specs. One laptop would not connect to my monitor at all, the other laptop kept flickering. This is not a certified cable. Spend a few extra dollars and buy a better cable! I had to replace this with a higher quality accell cable, which then worked perfectly."

I would suggest you need to get a much better quality cable to use the bandwidth that it requires to run 3440x1440 @ 100hz.  Please try using a cable by a reputable firm, preferably something from this list:

http://www.displayport.org/products-database/

(Tick "Cables" and click "Search") 

For example, this one is certified and is the one which the Amazon user above posted worked perfectly after returning the bad one:  http://www.accellcables.com/products/ultraav-mini-displayport-to-displayport-1-2-cable?variant=729676101

Or try getting one by StarTech, they are all certified.

• sragsd0416
    sragsd0416 Member Posts: 13 New User

I am aslo having similar issues with my X34. In fact Tech Support said that the only way 100Hz was achievanle was via HDMI. Further he said that his set up using the X34 used a 2.0 HDMI UHD cable. So like an ***** I bought a new cable without reading here.  I can report that it was a set backward and now I am at 50Hz and no G-Synch.  I have also tried other display port cables and to date the issue remains - not getting 100Hz via a Win 10 pmacing and GTX980ti Amp Extreme card. The previous cables I have used have supported 144Hz on a XB270HU monitor.  I am very doubtful that it has anything to do with the cables and is either OS related or ****.  I know I have to explain to ACER Tech Support over and over again about THEIR products (be it drivers or monitor settings) why having a driver for your monitor is sometimes necessary in windows....and that for all the Windows 10 BS on their website they have little or no support for Windows 10 for their products.

[inappropriate content removed]

• sragsd0416
    sragsd0416 Member Posts: 13 New User

So for those who are experiencing the same issues (that being one of OC your X34) let me summerize what I have done to achieve 85Hz.  My system is new Asus Rampage V Extreme 3.1,  i7 5820KCPU 3.30Ghz Video Card is a GeForce GTX980 Ti Amp from ZOTAC....64GB OF ddr4 Memory with a Win 10 64bit OS. Monitors I have are 2 XB270HU's and 1 X34. The XB270HU's I have run at 144Hz with 10 foot Displayport 1.2 cables from cable matters. So I am positive that I can get enough bandwidth from these. The X34 is supposed to be OC'ed via the monitor up to 100Hz. You have to consequently select this refresh rate via GeForce Software. To date I have not been able to achieve 100Hz with the X34. I can even disconnect all the other monitors and the results as the same.  You CAN NOT use a HDMI cable and achieve 100Hz. The best seen is 60Hz. So don't bother.  The more I tinker with this the more I think there is an issue with Windows 10 and achieving 100Hz. I have a Win 7 machine but really don't want to disconnect the monitor from the stand or being the computer up here...unless someone has a Win 7 machine and is able to get to 100Hz. So the issues I have experienced is not related to cabling at all and suspect that as long as you have a good quality VESA 1.2 or above cable at 10 feet or less you should be good. I have noticed that going into manage on my (right click your computer icon) shows that all 3 monitors are reporting 32 bit drivers (evcen though on the X34 I was able to load 8.1 64 bit drivers. The other 2 are at generic PnP as Acer isn't rushing Win 10 drivers out the door....

• Halicron

Well, I finally got a new DP cable, and lo and behold-- my OC issues are fixed. I'm stable at 90hz. Thanks everyone for the help. My recommendation is DON'T BUY A DISCOUNT CABLE! Get one with good reviews that is clearly rated for 4K.

• SamRony
    SamRony Member Posts: 11 New User

Hi there,

I Bought Predator X34 before Predator G6-710.

When it was on the old system with Nvidia GTX 770 DP connector, I was able to go to 3440x1440 @ 100Hz (Win7 Ultimate x64).

Now it is connected to Predator G6-710, Win10 OS x64, as soon as I try to overclock to 100Hz, screen flickers. I have to stick to 95Hz no more (Which is still awesome) on DP connector. The HDMI connection could not have gone to 100Hz, stayed on 60Hz - but I believe that is the max for HDMI connection. (PS: I have used different cables and it had made no difference).

It might be an OS / Nvidia driver issue. But you would think that ACER should have made sure that monitor & system are both tested with optimal settings, specially the "display/video" as it is marketed as a "Gaming Rig".

After overclocking X34 via OSD and enable G-Sync, I used Nvidia Control Panel to select the resolution and rate.

• Chayanito
    Chayanito Member Posts: 1 New User

Hi guys,

First sorry for my english , and Second I am looking for help, I have the acer predator x34 and I have a problem , like many of you, I was trying to overclock the monitor, with the Menu of the Monitor , I select to put at 100MHZ , and then I selected Reboot, after that the screen did come back, the Blue light was on but no picture,wend i tryid to switch off with the button , the light switch off and i cant switch on anymore , the blue light doesnt work anymore , only get electricity if I unplaged totally and then pluge again , but only blue light.Doesnt react to the menu buton, I tried to make Hard reset pushing at the same time first and fifth button , but nothin.Also I tried the second and Fifth button.

I am desperate, some of you had the same problem? , or some of you know what I can try?

I write you becouse this is the chat more active , and in my Lenguage ( Spanish ) ,is not chat like this one.

Sorry Again for my english I hope that I make more or less clear my point.

Thanks

• SamRony

Hi there,

I did not have this issue, once I am on 100MHz, screen starts to fliker alot

Have you tried connecting the HDMI, this might force to drop to 60 MHz via this connection and at least your a are able to see OSD! Otherwise, you may have hardware issue ... Good luck with ACER support ... useless bunch ... No after sales service what soo ever ....

Hope using the HDMI CABLE helps you ....

cheers,

Sam

• ChayanitoE
    ChayanitoE Member Posts: 3 New User

Hi Sam,

I was all night of yesterday trying diferent solutions, today I tried to conect two screen in my pc , one for reference and the x34, i saw that conecting with the DP port doesn`t reconice the x34, but wend i put the HDMI the computer reconice, but still not working , the monitor still black with the blue ligh down and Doesn´t react.

Some idea ?

Thank you so much 

• SamRony

Hi there,

Not sure, but seems overclocking damage it! I recall once I had a scare when I accidently turned off the monitor while working on PC ... and it would not turn on! Even after a reboot .... but I still can see the OSD I cycled through the INPUT and only then I was able to get it to show the screen properly. I NEVER EVER TRYED IT AGAIN .. I never turn off the monitor from 1st button ....

Last attempt, I know from you are NOT able to see the OSD, but if the monitor is working ... these last steps might help:

1) Disconnected verything.

2) Connect power and HDMI.

Now, I know you will be blind with no OSD, but I am trying to give the buttons that will allow you to cycle the INPUT to see if it help (PS: 1st button seems to be OFF / ON button .. don't touch it!!)

3) Turn on the monitor .. press the 2nd button .....  then press 3rd button 

See if this shows anything .. even a filker in the screen .... it should tell you on the screen if you are shifting between DP or HDMI ... but you cannot even see the OSD ....

IF this doesn't help .... sorry to tell you .. time to call support and replace your monitor ....

Cheers,

Sam

[edited for typo caught in word filter]

• ChayanitoE
    ChayanitoE Member Posts: 3 New User
    Hi Sam,
    I just tried what you suggest me, but nothing, I have the monitor only with power and HDMI, and I pushed 2nd and then 3rd button ( starting from the right) , and nothing doesn't react, tomorrow I will call to replace, I hope that here in Germany the service will be ok, or maybe I speak with the sellers, is a webbpage from England.
    I appreciate a lot your help,
    I will tell you what happens
    Ciao, and Gracias