Predator X34 desk stand

Options
jABSHIMITSU
jABSHIMITSU Member Posts: 4 New User

Hello,

I own this beautiful monitor only two days and I am pleased to say that everything works as I expected and there is no problem with it.

Well except one thing... the stand, it takes a lot of desk space and it is way to close to me.

http://imgur.com/m6XccJv

I have tried to use stand from my old monitor DELL U2412M.

http://imgur.com/q6E0zqE

I didin't attempt to change the metal back plate, Now that I am thinking about it maybe I should have.

Also I dont think that the stand from my old monitor could hold the 34" screen.

Can someone reccomend new stand? I am not looking for something that you fix at the corner of the table, as you can see from the first picture the top is glass.

I would hate to return the display if there is nothing that can be done about it.

Many thanks,

Jabshimitsu

Answers

• Sperber
    Sperber Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

I simply wall-mounted mine. It's a pity, because the stand really does look cool. But the room it requires in the back is IMO a design flaw.

• jABSHIMITSU
    Options

Thanks Sperber, 

I agree that it is a design flaw. that much unused space at the back of the monitor is not good.

For some interested in this I found a review on Scan UK, the guy mounted on http://goo.gl/hPpLWU , but this one is the one I can't use.

It may be helpful for some people.

I still got a week to find something... if I dont, I will need to return the monitor.

• Vandragorax
    Vandragorax Member Posts: 124 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi!

That would be me who recommended the Ergotron MX desk mount on Scan Smiley Wink  I'm sorry to read that you can't use it because of having a glass table top.  Perhaps you can use the wall mounted version to fix it to the wall behind the desk?

It's really by far the best mount you can get for this monitor.  Yes it's expensive, but you will regret buying cheaper stands, especially the ones where the arm comes out halfway up the pole, they are just not stable at all.

Wall mount version available:  http://www.amazon.co.uk/MX-Wall-Mount-LCD-Arm/dp/B0028407WW

It will fully extend about 50cm and still hold whatever position I put it in, as well as tucking back to the desk so the monitor only sticks out about 15cm instead of the 35+ with the standard stand.

You won't be disappointed if you go for this one, and there is a wall-mount version too if you prefer.  The desk one is by far the best monitor mount I've ever owned though, and I've tried quite a few in the past Smiley Happy

Here are a couple of pics showing the stand with my old monitor, but it looks exactly the same with the X34 on it Smiley Happy

If you can't use the wall mount bracket either, then I think you could possibly get savvy with some DIY desk modification.  Perhaps there's some way you can use the front legs of the default stand to hold another sheet of glass in place which sticks back off the edge of the table just slightly... enough for the rear leg to sit on and for you to push the monitor back a little bit.  Maybe try it with a mirror first if you don't have any spare squares of glass around, or just use a block of wood to test the theory.  I'm sure something would be possible but the wall-mounted MX would be the best option if you can do it Smiley Happy

Vand.

20150611_193014.jpg

20150611_193023.jpg

• jABSHIMITSU
    Options

Hey Vand,

Sometimes I think that internet is way too small Cat Happy.

I dont know how those stands work as I havent seen them. From my 1st post, second picture, did you unscrew the metal plate from the normal stand and attched that to the one you have?

I guess I could get the stand what you have and add some wooden plates inbetween my desk and the stand clamp, that should do.

But it is another £100 to spend which I dont know if I am prepared to do.

• Vandragorax
    Vandragorax Member Posts: 124 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options

Watch this vid and it might help:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seS_DetxH_E

Very good vid showing the mount and a similar 34" Ultra wide monitor Smiley Happy

Basically where you've taken the default stand off the X34, all you have to do is 'hook' the X34 on to the VESA mount plate on the MX mount where it kind of rests in place, then you have these big thumb screws that come with it to attach it.  It's REALLY easy (just make sure you put the mount in place before putting the monitor on it, DO NOT put the mount on the monitor, and then try to attach it to the table.)

It fits any VESA mount just the same as it does on its default stand.

If you like I can take some pics tomorrow evening for you to see my setup with it Smiley Happy

• K0RS41R
    K0RS41R Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options

Vandragorax - I would love to see some pics of your x34 with this stand if possible, as I'm in the same situation as OP :-) 

• KungFuDazza
    KungFuDazza Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I've got the same issue - the monitor is perfect but it takes up over half the depth of my desk. Ordered a £20 VonHaus stand yesterday (clip on desk mount) and will post how it fares when it arrives. I'm guessing it's going to struggle but the spec reckons it's good up to 8kg.
  • jABSHIMITSU
    Options

HI All,

Thanks for the reply's... 

I am still in the same situation, I was thinking that I will get the same stand as Vedragorax, and I would put wood inbetween the table and the stand, but I read somewhere that that is not a good solution. Tempered glass is very prone to be shattered.

My search continues.

I kind of got used to to it that it is close to my eyes... Kind of adds immersion to games.

Talking about games, a lot of them dont support 21:9, which is shame - there is always something messed up, except Tomb Raider and Call of Duty  - they run on 60+FPS on my gtx970.

Regards,

Jabshimitsu

• K0RS41R
    K0RS41R Member Posts: 10 New User
    Options

jABSHIMITSU - it's a hassle I know, but have you considered getting a new desk and selling your old one, instead of returning the monitor? 

The x34 is amazing and the competition likely won't have a much smaller stand, either. If you really want 34" Ultra wide with 1440p @ 100hz, you will need to find a work around.  If I were in your shoes, unable to use a wall or desk mount / arm, I'd be more inclined to replace the desk than return the monitor. 

Another work around for this situation I did years ago, when I ran a 32" LCD TV as my primary screen, was having a TV dinner tray with a timber board cut a local hardware store glued on top to easily fit my keyboard and mouse, which could slide under my desk after, I elevated the desk with some timber (also cut at the local hardware store). Not elegant by any means, but it was a cheap and nasty solution that worked really well, actually :-)

• KungFuDazza
    KungFuDazza Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Ok, mine arrived today and I just spent a bit of time fitting it.

Before and after photos are here http://imgur.com/a/h47J8

Does the job nicely, it doesn't look like much from the photos, but the screen is now about 6" further back than it was. It feels a lot less in my face and the curve matches the viewing distance more appropriately.

As K0RS441R mentioned - either switch out the desk or wall mount it. BTW The desk I'm using is the magical but cheap, Galant Ikea table top with legs and brackets steadying it to the wall. Hope that helps.

• errolng
    errolng Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Hi guys,

I got myself the ergotron mx but i can't seem to get the screws to fit.

of the 4 screw holes on the predator, the bottom 2 have some kind of plastic like thing in it so when i use the provided ergotron screws or even the predator screws, they won't screw all the way down with the ergotron 'plate'. 

the top 2 are able to screw in all the way but the bottom 2 just cant seem to do so.

sorry if what i'm saying is confusing.

hope someone can help!

• errolng
    errolng Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

by the way, i'm using the desk mount not the wall mount if it makes a difference.

• Kreg0
    Kreg0 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Hi there! I've exactly the same problem/request !

The original stand is really to big.

Would anyone have the reference of this stand presented is this video? It looks perfect  Smiley Happy

https://youtu.be/YnWnmugUwAY?t=192

Many thanks!

Kreg