Is Acer providing Windows 10 drivers for all in one Gateway ZX6971?

Tommy2
Tommy2 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited March 1 in 2018 Archives

Trying to install Windows 10 and the upgrade failed 4 times at 87%, after few hours of working on it. I called Microsoft and they said my ZX6971 all in one computer can not run windows 10 since Acer/Gateway drivers needed are not availlable. My Gateway ZX6971 is fairly new, has a touchscreen, 1TB memory, upgraded to win.8.1 pro with media center and everything is compatible with windows 10 as even the check up tool says but just needs updated drivers. Will Acer provide the needed windows 10 updrade drivers anytime soon before the free upgrade will expire?

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

First of all create the DVD/USB recovery media for your PC, so you will be able to revert to factory OS.

you can try a thing if you have some spare time.

recover your windows 8 product key:
    http://www.thewindowsclub.com/find-windows-product-key

Download windows 10 from Microsoft website, using the download tool:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

Create an USB or DVD bootable media using that tool.

backup all your data and create the Acer erecovery media, to restore your PC back to factory if something went wrong.

Boot using the windows 10 bootable media, choose custom install and erase your HDD partitions; install windows 10 skipping product key requests.

Once at desktop  you can look for any drivers that windows 10 can't find (you can check about any yellow exclamation mark on Device manager (windows logo key + X, Device manager)

When all drivers are ok and you system is running smoothly, press windows logo key, choose Settings, updates & security, on the left side click Activation (must have a data connection) and input your windows 8 product key.

so you will have a clean and authenticated windows 10 install.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Tommy2
    Tommy2 Member Posts: 2 New User

I wish I could do a clean install but I have a lot of installed programs I need and can't retrieve them if they get deleted. I was trying to upgrade and just need the drives for windws 10 or something compaible so it can finish the automatic configuration. Any idea if the'll make the drivers anytime/ soon or how can I find out? Or their customer service phone number? Thank you very much.

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer

Sadly not all systems that are built will have Windows 10 Support do to hardware or some other factor that isin't easily fixed. I know that one of my systems from Acer is setup saying that it supports Win10 and I do run Win10 on the machines but there is no drivers for 10 in the listing of drivers.....

Looking over Gateways list of Windows 10 systems sadly your system for what ever reason isn't on that list..... I have a Gateway Laptop not on the list and it works just fine with 10 but again not listed. So for some reason they feel it wasn't able to run 10 or could have some issues with the hardware it has. 

http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/windows10-eligible-models

As stated before you could try and force install (Clean install it) however with your need of your programs that isn't always a good thing to do. No DVD play back in 10 but can be bought from the store for 15... So another reason to have back up of your system files to carry them over or do a Free UPgrade is understandable.....

I will add this.... I have found that on one of my machines I had a problem with installing free upgrade to 10 because there was some items in the store that they wanted updated..... I don't like the items don't use so never updated. as soon as I did the updates in the store they 10 update worked fine. I wanted to see if I could make that happen again so I restart my system back to 8 did all the updates in 8 got the 8.1 update and did all the 8.1 updates but again only updated the apps I was going to use. Again same issue. Once I did them all 10 went fine. Crazy but thought I would add that see if something as crazy as....

James

• Rickko
    Rickko Member Posts: 1 New User
    Tommy2 said:

Trying to install Windows 10 and the upgrade failed 4 times at 87%, after few hours of working on it. I called Microsoft and they said my ZX6971 all in one computer can not run windows 10 since Acer/Gateway drivers needed are not availlable. My Gateway ZX6971 is fairly new, has a touchscreen, 1TB memory, upgraded to win.8.1 pro with media center and everything is compatible with windows 10 as even the check up tool says but just needs updated drivers. Will Acer provide the needed windows 10 updrade drivers anytime soon before the free upgrade will expire?

Hello,

The other day I came across a ZX6971 from a friend's business.  Wiped the drive and all partitions and completed a clean install of Windows 10.  Four partitions were created.  Everything is working great including touchscreen and wireless.  It will be my grandchildren's educational PC since a DVD is available.
  • KylieRC
    KylieRC Member Posts: 1 New User
    Rickko-How did you download the needed drivers, if applicable? I didn't see any available Windows 10 drivers listed on the Acer website.