New Predator X34 - can't get above 60Hz

JV1
JV1 Member Posts: 3 New User

I'm curious if anyone has a fix/recommendation for things to try in this situation:  I just got the X34 last weekend.  I am running it with a EGVA 980ti SC+ on Windows 10 with Nvidia driver version 359.06.  My issue is that I can't get the monitor to run above 60 Hz.  In the OSD, I do have it set on ON with a Max refresh of 100.  When I launch the Nvidia control panel, I can see that the monitor is running at 3440 X 1440 and Gysnc does work.  However, when I select anything above 60 Hz and click apply, the app immediatly goes back to 60 Hz.  When I try to change the Hz using the Windows 10 Advanced Display setting, I can get it to apply a setting above 60 Hz (80, 90, etc.) however the X34 won't take it - it flickers black a few times and then goes solid black and won't display until I return it to 60 Hz.

Helpful feedback would to be to understand if this is a fixable issue (software problem or setting) or if I have bad monitor and need to RMA it back to the supplier.

Thanks!

JV1 

Best Answer

• Vandragorax
    Vandragorax Member Posts: 124 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓

That's great to hear!  I know it seems odd, but the cable carries the bandwidth for the signal and if the cable is not of sufficient quality it can cause these sort of issues.  Longer cables tend to degrade the signal over the length too, which is why you should always use the shortest cable possible for video signals Smiley Happy

Please don't forget to mark my post, or your reply stating the cable swap fix worked, as a "solution" here so that others with the same problem can see and find the solution quickly and the thread will be marked as "solved"!

Cheers and happy gaming,

Vand

Answers

• Vandragorax

Hi JV1,

Before you rule your monitor DOA and send it back for a replacement, I would try a couple of things.

1)  There should be some 'factory reset' option somewhere in the OSD (I'm at work atm so can't check on my monitor until I'm home) which you need to use when the DP cable has signal, so when you're in Windows or on the BIOS.  Other people have reported that this fixed issues for them including stuff related to overclocking and coil whine so it's definitely worth a shot, and once reset you can then try overclocking it again and changing other settings as you need to.

2)  If you have access to try a different DP cable I would also advise that, I'm pretty sure mine came with 2 and I chucked one in a drawer somewhere.  Sometimes if you're using a longer cable it can cause problems so definitely try using the short ones from the box if you aren't already or swap it for a spare and see if you get the same issues.

3)  Try connecting the DP cable to a different DP slot on your graphics card, I believe the 980ti has 3?

4)  Other people reported problems with Windows storing profiles for other monitors in the registry.  Did you previously have any other monitor capable of running more than 60hz running on the same installation of Windows?  If so you might need to reinstall the OS or figure out how to dump out the registry settings causing problems, I'll dig around and see if I can find the thread where someone else had this issue.

Let me know how you get on with the above, cheers.

Vand.

EDIT:  Someone else with a similar issue, ended up sending it back for a replacement I think - http://community.acer.com/t5/Predator-Discussions/Need-help-with-my-new-x34-100-Hz-problems/m-p/399095#U399095

• JV1

Thanks Vand - great response!  I am using a different DP cable than the one the monitor came with (I needed a longer run).  I'm going to test that route first then look into the other options.  I'll post the results in case anyone else is running into this.

P.S.  For anyone that's considering dropping $1300 on this monitor, I went from a 30" HP to this and it's been awesome even at 60 Hz (I use it for work and am playing COD III, Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 - it's very a emersive gaming experience).  Yes, it's expensive but that's normal for "bleeding edge" tech. 

• JV1

So although I was using a new Display Port (DP) cable (QVS $40 at Microcenter, 10 ft.), it wasn't able to handle the higher Hz.  I bought a Belkin "premium series" cable, also 10ft, and it's been able to handle 100 Hz without issue.  Btw, I would also like to mentioned that I used the Windows 10 - Display Settings - Advanced Display Settings - Display Adapter Properties - Monitor (tab) - Monitor Settings method of changing the Screen Refresh Rate.  It was more consistent than the Nvidia Control Panel interface.  

Hopefully this post helps other people - the Hz limit can definitely be affected by the cable. 

Thanks again Vand!

• Vandragorax
    Answer ✓

That's great to hear!  I know it seems odd, but the cable carries the bandwidth for the signal and if the cable is not of sufficient quality it can cause these sort of issues.  Longer cables tend to degrade the signal over the length too, which is why you should always use the shortest cable possible for video signals Smiley Happy

Please don't forget to mark my post, or your reply stating the cable swap fix worked, as a "solution" here so that others with the same problem can see and find the solution quickly and the thread will be marked as "solved"!

Cheers and happy gaming,

Vand

• sragsd0416
    sragsd0416 Member Posts: 13 New User

I am also having the exact same issue.  I have 3 monitors 2 of which are the XB270HU both of which runn at 144Hz with no issues on 10 foot Cable Matters Gold Plated Display port cables (I now have 3).  However the new monitor (X34) only operates at 60Hz with the exact same symptoms as previiously described. These cables are also capable of support UHD applications.  I have also switched the cables around between the monitors.  I have to use 10 foot cables.  Also when I try to adjust the monitor after disconnecting the Display Cable the monitor menu will not allow anyother slection besides input.

• Vandragorax

Hi sragsd,

You say you have to use 10ft cables, but is it possible you can use one of the shorter cables that came with the X34 just to test whether that is what's causing your problem?  Move the monitor nearer to the PC temporarily just to test it.  If you still get the issue then we can look at other possible causes Smiley Happy

Thanks,

Vand.

• sragsd0416

Same results using the 3 foot cables.  I too have read an article on shorter and thicker cables are better at higher frame rates.  However I have been running on 144Hz on my other 2 monitors while my X34 is a black hole (the LED light works) with 10 foot cables now as well as prior to the X34 purchase.  I have also varied the refresh rate on the other 2 monitors to 100 and still nothing.  The only way the X34 will work is with all 3 monitors at 60Hz.  So it isn't the cable.  Another issue is that the X34 is different than other monitors as the refresh rate can be boosted AT the monitor and not the video card.  This was a selling point on the monitor to start with.  However that doesn't work.  Further if you follow the directions and disconnect the monitor from the computer you have NO control over anything other than input (at least that is what it seems).   BTW my video card is a ZOTAC 980ti Amp on a ASUS Rampage V Extreme....at the cost of this monitor I maybe boxing it and sending it back if I can't find a sol;ution - 60Hz isn't cutting it.

• sragsd0416

I also tried to go from 3 to 2 to just the X34 and it will not go above 60Hz.  I also tried the X34 and the supplied 3 foot cable.  I also  did a full reboot as I changed the cables.....still at 60Hz. 

• Vandragorax

It sounds like maybe you've got the same problem someone else had, although I can't find the post where they were discussing it... I feel it may be in the huge 70+ page X34 thread somewhere.

Basically though, they found that Windows stores some sort of profiles for the monitors in the registry and he was running Windows 10.  He ended up having to reinstall Windows fresh for the monitor profiles he was previously using for 144hz monitors to get wiped before he could OC the X34.

I'm not sure how much else I can help you I'm afraid, but if you have the patience and the knowledge, it may be worth trying the reinstall Windows approach and connect your X34 fresh as the first monitor you use and see if it will OC properly.

Another option could be set the OC refresh within Windows itself rather than the NV Control panel as the OP stated earlier in this thread.

Cheers,

Vand.

• sragsd0416

I appreciate your help BTW so after hours of screwing around with this I have currently a 85HZ FPS on all three monitors. and only after I loaded the 8.1 64 Windows driver from Acer for the X34.  BTW I can't load any driver for my other displays from Acer...weird but true (I think it is a window recognition issue) otherwise no idea why.  I am unable to achieve 100Hz with the X34 in any configuration. So it looks like I will try there tech support directly and the last time I tried that I needed a stiff drink - because I seemingly knew more than they did.