Predator G9-591 Fatal Flaw

Options
shawnrussow
shawnrussow Member Posts: 7 New User

Posting this here to hopefully get some exposure on this issue. I have spent upwards of 10-12 hours on this issue now, with no available resolution. Please read the whole thing before replying with something like 'press F2 on boot' or something else silly. I have exhausted all of those basic options that anyone that can google would find.

Setting BIOS on this model to Legacy Boot Mode (CSM), will prevent you from rebooting into BIOS again. You will be unable to set it back to UEFI Boot, which means you will have to completely reload the OS using CSM to be able to regain any functionality of this laptop. After tons of research, I noticed this is an issue present in a variety of other Acer and Dell laptops while doing my research. The ONLY solutions I've discovered so far is to a.) send it in for warranty, or b.)re-flash the BIOS, which will reset defaults.  The issue here is that there is NO BIOS available for download on this model, leaving the only option available is to send my unit in for repair. This is completely unacceptable, even for a new device. Anyone that decides to tweaks their system at all is going to get burned here. 

So, you may be thinking, just reinstall the OS in CSM and be hopeful that a BIOS update is released later.  Fine, but there's more to it than just that. Let's reload the OS, go to Acer's Support website, and download all the required drivers and software. Cool, we're back in business. Wait, hold on here, something's missing. Where's the PredatorSense software that controls the hotkeys, along with the ability to set fans to max, and swap between integrated and dedicated graphics cards. Yeah, it's not there. There is NO available resource to download this software anywhere. I have spent upwards of 3-4 hours on the Phone and in Chats with Acer Support agents who have no knowledge on this device at all. They have never even heard of this Software or have any idea what it's for. This is highly disappointing. I understand that training every agent on every new device would be costly, and support is surely outsourced, but you would think somewhere along the line of people I talked to someone would have some knowledge on this. 

If anyone here has any REAL options or advice to give, please do. Getting the installer for the default BIOS would be fantastic. I am capable of pulling the file and manually flashing if anyone has any inside ability to get this file to me. 

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

Alt+F10 keys combo works?

if so you can try to reach BIOS:

Choose repair your computer

select Troubleshoot
    In the Troubleshoot menu, select Advanced options.
    In the Advanced options menu, click UEFI Firmware Settings.

if Alt+F10 doesn't work, you can try to create a bootable windows 10 USB/DVD media and follow the same steps:

Download windows 10 from Microsoft website, using the download tool:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • shawnrussow
    Options
    Rebooting to efi settings from Windows troubleshooter requires the device to be in efi mode, thus doesn't work for this issue.
  • IronFly
    Options

check your private message.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

Hi shawnrussow,

A BIOS was released at the end of last week that I believe can resolve your issue related to the BIOS not loading properly when in legacy. Please let me know if you have any feedback.

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/BIOS/BIOS/BIOS_Acer_1.06_A_A.zip?acerid=635854197394894052&Step1=NOTEBOOK&Step2=PREDATOR&Step3=PREDATOR%20G9-591&OS=ALL&LC=en&BC=ACER&SC=PA_6

Hope this helps,
    Cory

• shawnrussow
    Options

Unfortuantely, I have already sent my unit back for a replacement. I am glad to see updates and fixes being pushed out quickly for this model though. Thanks for the update.

• Cory-Acer
    Cory-Acer Administrator Posts: 1,449 Community Administrator
    Options

Sorry we made it a hassle. Hopefully smooth sailing moving forward Smiley Happy

Also, sorry about the accepted solution spam. I miss clicked.

• githos
    githos Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

Hello Everyone ,

I do have the same probleme + the fact that i formated the hdd and that i dont know how to flash the bios.

i did download from another computer the BIOS that u post but i cant access my bios (legacy bug) and dont know how to flash it from that exe. 

May someone just tell me how to flash the bios trough usb or any other mean that doesnt include an OS ?

Regards

• githos
    githos Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options

when i go trough the console of the windows 10 , with the USB windows 10 i can see the exe. of the bios but he said that the he cant execute it. do i need to creat a booting usb with your exe?

Hellllllllllllllllllllllp someone plz

regards

• IronFly
    Options

the BIOS flasher works only on windows OS enviroment, so you have to install windows and then flash it.

• zanson
    zanson Member Posts: 12 New User
    Options

Just ran into this attempting to install ubuntu on the second drive.

Sorry but this is BS, such a nice laptop, but has 0 support for linux and this bios bug. Fortunately im within the microcenter 15 day return period. This is going back tonight.

I could live with the misrepresented color changing backlight (seriously, the site makes it look like it is RGB when it's only red) on the keyboard, but not supporting linux and having this issue is not worth the hassle.

EDIT: So i got the laptop to boot again, by putting the optical drive back in and was able to efi working once again.

Still having issues with linux though