how to get win 10 to install on a gateway DX4200-09

soreback
soreback Member Posts: 3 New User

pc came with win. vista  gateway sent win.7 upgrade with a key#  i have try to put win10 on this pc but keep getting error code i have had micro.tec. to fix it all they do is the same thing i do. so any one have any idears be glade to here thim

Answers

• RevoMaxx
    RevoMaxx ACE Posts: 458 Pioneer

Sorry your having problems with your system and getting Win 10 upgrade from Microsoft....

First there is only a few that are on the list of Models that they support the upgrade. You can find that list here,,, http://us.gateway.com/gw/en/US/content/windows10-eligible-models

Then there is a few things that I would say isn't 100% a must do but I would say if you haven't I would try and make sure that you have a Microsoft Account Email.... Can be Hotmail, MSN, live. 

This part is kind of important, make sure that your system is getting the updates. When you get the icon to get 10 it will check your system. However if your system isn't updateable it will state that.... 

Make sure you have your system set so it can run 10. 1GHz CPU, 1gb ram 32bit or 2gb ram for 64bit windows, 16gb or 20gb HDD space for 32bit and 20 for 64bit. Also must have a Graphics specs min 800x600 DirectX9.0 So if your specs are up to all stated above, your latest updates installed. I would log onto Microsofts website and do a Tech Chat with them.... They will ask you to start a Remote connection and could be something as easy as adding a String in your Registery. Sadly I don't know what the is but I know that is one area they will check.... They will also look that you have all the updates. 

In the end if it don't work to what they feel should get your Upgrade Icon, They will force it for you....

Also I don't know how much I can trust but from what I have heard you can now use your Win 8 or 7 Keys to Register Window 10 So it could be as easy as Downloading the Media Creation tool and dl your Version of Win 10 32 or 64bit Burn to a Dvd and intall... Only thing that should be noted if that or a Clean install is done at some time you will not have the Factory software that came with your computer. Windows 10 don't have a DVD player that is free, so if your system has Cyberlink or something that came with your DVD player by factory clean install won't have this or other things. 

James

• Houston
    Houston Member Posts: 1 New User

Actually just installed Win Ten after my DX 4200-9's got a bit of an over haul AFTER being asleep for four years because of a fried power supply, the key of what needed to be done was to upgrade power supply AND after looking at the RAM was to Replace the fried power supply with a 450 watt power supply and replace the ram I had (which was just two banks of 2 gig each and the other two banks with holding 1 gig each which is WHY before it tanked it wouldn't install Ten...

power supply replacement was a AGS Series 450w (part#: AGS450) from Dream PC and 4 two gig ram which maxed out the Ram.

the key of my install was to use the Microsoft 'Win 10 Assistant" which serously over a week everything updated on the 4200 for Seven because oddly seven stopped updating it self back before the power supply quit, but when I cliked on the Assistant like i said over a week it brought it self up-to-date.

Which after that week and it no long showed on the power down (installing updates...) about 20 time, I was rather enjoying my OLD machins new life..

then I just got up the nerve to see if, was it the lack of that missing 2 gigs of memory back then that killed the update of 7 to 10 back then..so again Win 10 Assistant started up AGAIN..

About 3/4 of an hour Win 10 was installed.

the answer to the question is yeas the DX4200-9 WILL HANDLE 10 with 8 gigs of ram.