Acer Aspire S7 392. screen backlight issues

sup3rgr33k
sup3rgr33k Member Posts: 2 New User

The screen backlight has issues staying on. At various angles of the laptop's lid being open, the backlight will turn off. It often takes me upwards of 30 seconds of fiddling with the screen just to be able to see the content on the screen. Seems most likely to be a hardware/quality/manufacturing issue. I've had the laptop for two years now, and have never dropped it or mishandled it. I first had issues with the backlight a few weeks ago where the backlight flickered once, and has gotten progressively worse to the point where now there's probably 100 degrees of a "dead area" where the backlight is instable and dies out randomly. HELPPP

I know it's a backlight issue because when it does die, I can shine a light on the screen and can still interact with the screen (touchscreen) and can see the text moving.

Answers

• GuruAid-CS
    GuruAid-CS Member Posts: 467 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon

In this case, check if reinstalling display drivers (VGA drivers) help in resolving the issue. To download the latest display drivers for your model, the following link can be helpful:
    http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

If you are not able to find the right display drivers or if the issue persists even after reinstalling drivers, you are advised to contact nearest Acer service center by using the link below for further assistance:
    http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service

Hope this will help you.

• sup3rgr33k
    sup3rgr33k Member Posts: 2 New User

Hey!  Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, I really don't think it's a software issue (also I couldn't find any display/VGA drivers for my model at the posted link).

I took apart the casing for the computer, and found two wires connecting to the screen. One of them in particular, when wiggled, visibly flickered the backlight. This leads me to infer that that wire has a loose connection on the side in the screen, and that my wiggling simulated a rotating screen.

Thanks for your help! Unfortunately for me, it looks like unless I replace the screen entirely, I may just have to use this machine as a desktop.