Windows 10: Create a USB Recovery Drive using Acer Care Center

Nick_Balandiat
Nick_Balandiat Member Posts: 13 New User

Ok I bought my ATC-10-UR-10 last year when Windows XP support was ending.  The system had Windows 8.1 on it.

I just did the free upgrade to windows 10. 

Now when I first got my PC, it wanted me to create a Recovery USB.  I did that as soon as I got the PC.

I want to create ANOTHER since I upgraded to Windows 10.

Do I use the tool described on this page on Acer's website?  

But my question, will this create a recovery USB that includes Windows 10?  Or will it be pulling from some SECRET folder on my hard drive with all the stuff from the original installation of Windows 8.1 that came with the PC?

Again, I already did that MONTHS and MONTHS ago!

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    1. that video is only for system with windows 10 from factory
    2. if you want to create a factory Acer recovery on your system, it will always be with windows 8.1; since your system came with windows 8.1 from factory
    3. you can create a windows 10 recovery/installation media, using Microsoft creation tool, but it will a vanilla version (no Acer software or drivers but you can download them from Acer support website) http://community.acer.com/t5/Knowledge-Base/Windows-10-Installation-Recovery-Media-Creation-and-Use/ta-p/394236
    4. if you don't want to re-install everything from scratch (drivers/software and personal data), you can create a system image (hard disk copy) on an external support (USB HDD) and then load this image using the windows 10 recovery/installation media http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5495-system-image-create-windows-10-a.html
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Nick_Balandiat

So if I used the ORGINAL USB I created when I bought the PC, it's taking me back to 8.1?

Would Microsoft ALLOW that?  Would the original license be deactivated?

But if I did that, and then used the Recovery USB for Windows 10 would it get me back to Windows 10?

• IronFly

the original USB recovery will take you back to windows 8.1 but you have 30 days to do it from windows 10 upgrade (as far as i remember) or your windows 8.1 license will be permanently upgraded to windows 10 license.

yes, you can upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10 using windows 10 installation/recovery.

• Nick_Balandiat

"the original USB recovery will take you back to windows 8.1 but you have 30 days to do it from windows 10 upgrade (as far as i remember) or your windows 8.1 license will be permanently upgraded to windows 10 license.

yes, you can upgrade from windows 8.1 to windows 10 using windows 10 installation/recovery."

So right now I have Windows 10 after the upgrade.  If in 6 months my PC gets screwed up I CAN stick the original USB Recovery Drive with Windows 8.1 on it into the PC and it will install everything ORIGINGALLY on the PC.

Then I could insert the RECOVERY USB with Windows 10 on it that I WILL CREATE into the PC and recover WINDOWS 10?

I'll be honest I called Microsoft and they told me the Windows 8.1 would be legit.

• Nick_Balandiat

Here look at this from Microsoft

If go back isn't available

• Check to see if you can restore your PC to factory settings. This will reinstall the version of Windows that came with your PC and remove personal files, apps and drivers you installed, and any changes you made to settings. Go to Settings > Update & security > Recovery > Reset this PC > Get started and look for Restore factory settings.

• If you have installation media and a product key for your previous version of Windows, you can use them to go back. Get the details in the Use installation media to reinstall Windows section of this topic.

If you're using a recovery drive created on Windows 8.1:

1. Connect the recovery drive and turn on your PC.

2. On the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot, and then select an option. If you don’t see the Choose your option screen, your PC might not be set up to boot from a drive. Check your PC manufacturer’s website for info on how to change your PC’s boot order.

• Restore from a system restore point by selecting Advanced Options > System Restore. This will remove recently installed apps, drivers, and updates that might be causing your PC problems, but it won’t affect your personal files.

• Select Reset your PC > Yes, repartition the drive to reinstall Windows 8.1. This will remove all your personal files, apps and drivers you installed, and changes you made to settings. Apps from your PC manufacturer will be reinstalled and the drive’s default partitions will be restored.

• Use advanced troubleshooting options (including safe mode) by selecting Advanced Options > Startup Settings >Restart, and then following the steps on the screen. If you’re not familiar with these advanced options, try restoring from a system restore point, resetting your PC, or using installation media to reinstall Windows.

If the other recovery options didn't work for you, you can perform a clean installation of Windows 10 (or a previous version of Windows). This will remove your personal files, apps and drivers you installed, and changes you made to settings. Here's how to do it:

1. On a working PC, go to the Microsoft software download website to create installation media for the version of Windows you want to install: Windows 10, Windows 8.1, or Windows 7.

2. Insert the installation media you created, restart your PC, and then follow the setup instructions.

• IronFly
    Honestly, if your HDD will die, i would nevere re-install windows 8.1 but i will install windows 10.
    Your system will be authenticated from microsoft servers, then i will download acer software and drivers from Acer support website, if needed.

The OS will be cleaner than installing windows 8.1 and the upgrade.
  • Nick_Balandiat

So are you saying using this feature in Windows 10, to Create a Recovery Drive, will provide all of Windows 10...except drivers I can get from Acer?

I also saw Create a System Image, but I'm using over 70 gigs now, I have all my software DVDs so I don't ming RE-installing that stuff, so the System Image doesn't make sense.

I also saw Create a Repair Disc in Windows 10.   How much space do you need for that?  I saw a youtube and the dude said it could actually go on CD, as opposed to a DVD.  What's the Repair Disc for?

But back to Create a Recovery Drive, that's going to put Windows 10 BACK or repair it if the need arises.  It would do a CLEAN install of Windows 10?  

How LARGE of a USB drive do you need?  One youtube said you need 4 gigs.  But Acer on their Acer Recovery Management said I needed 16 gigs, but they recommended I buy a 32 gig USB drive since you DON'T get to use the FULL 16 gigs on the smaller size.

So should I buy a 4 gig USB drive or go with an 8 gig?

thanks

Recovery drive.jpg

• IronFly

too much confusion.

i will keep it simple, click on this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

scroll down and download Media Creation Tool (blu "download tool now" button)

run the downloaded exe and follow on screen instructions to create an USB installation/recovery media

have a 8GB USB flash drive ready when asked to create the installation/recovery media

once done, you can use it to do a clean install of windows 10 on your system or as recovery if need to repair windows 10 installation.

a simple recovery media, will not help you install windows 10, it's just a recovery enviroment to let fix some issue.

Acer is correct about the 16GB USB flash drive, since their recovery partition (that create and installation/recovery media from the original windows OS version, so windows 8.1 in your case), is bigger than the default windows recovery, since it has acer software and drivers.

• Nick_Balandiat

But the Create Recovery Drive does the same thing?

• IronFly

nope.

• Nick_Balandiat

Then what OS is the CREATE RECOVERY DRIVE copying....?

Are you telling me that's going to copy Windows 8.1?  I upgraded to Windows 10...shouldn't it put WINDOWS 10 files there?

• IronFly

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4200-recovery-drive-create-windows-10-a.html

one thing is Acer erecovery enviroment, one thing is Windows recovery.

Acer recovery will copy files to re-install your system as it was from factory, but it will create a windows 8.1 enviroment

WIndows recovery will have essential files to just boot to recovery and do some troubleshot.

• Nick_Balandiat

I was in Microsoft support forum and they told Create Recovery Drive would create a Windows 10 environment.

Here's what the person said: "It is recommended that you create a recovery drive in a USB drive as you will be able to recover your system in case if you incur a no boot situation. Also if you will create a recovery drive after installing Windows 10, it will create a recovery drive for 10 and not for 8.1."

This person was discrbed as a Microsoft Support Engineer.

I swear I just bought a load of thumb drives and will be doing all of the above as a means of CYA!

• IronFly
    Windows enviroment...to recovery, not an installation media.
  • IronFly
    He told you the same thing i told you, i don't understand your post.
  • Nick_Balandiat

Maybe I misunderstood you.

Here's what the Microsoft person said: "It is recommended that you create a recovery drive in a USB drive as you will be able to recover your system in case if you incur a no boot situation. Also if you will create a recovery drive after installing Windows 10, it will create a recovery drive for 10 and not for 8.1."

He was saying I go to this part of my Windows 10 system (LOOK BELOW) now and click on CREATE RECOVERY DRIVE the computer is going to build a RECOVERY USB with Windows 10 on it.  

You said it would just Windows 8.1.  You also said the Acer Recovery Managment software would build a USB with Windows 8.1.  

I just wanted to know will that Create Recovery Drive you see in the picture below...will it build a USB with Windows 10 on that I can recover from or not?

Recovery drive.jpg

• IronFly

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4200-recovery-drive-create-windows-10-a.html

Recovery drive is just a bootable enviroment with some tools to fix windows 10 issues, not an installation media.

if you need an installation media (that you can use as recovery too), you need to download it using microsoft download tool:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=691209

easy like 1 -2 -3

• Nick_Balandiat

Yeah I see that.  I'll do that and stick that on a thumb drive.

I don't want to do it until my 30 days are, just in case I want to roll back, since I have Windows 10 installed.

Now when you use that tool.  You say you are downloading this for ANOTHER PC, which is strange.  Then since you are sticking this on a USB drive (what SIZE??)  {I am guess a 16 GB USB should be fine}

I have seen options for making an ISO or just on a USB.  

What the heck.  What's with ISO?

• IronFly

You can do it for you PC and not choose for another PC, another PC will just give more options on which version to download.

8GB USB flash drive is enough.

ISO:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_image

• Nick_Balandiat

I thought I saw an option to CHOOSE Media.  It asks you if you want to make a USB or an ISO.

I am guessing the ISO is just if you want to download that to you computer, say the desktop, then BURN that to a DVD-R?

I guess I would be better off with a USB?