Acer Aspire V15 Nitro Black Edition VN7-591G-729V and Windows 10

TheCodeMan
TheCodeMan Member Posts: 6 New User

Brand new laptop. Just pulled it out of the box and upgraded to Windows 10. Worked fine until ran the updates and Microsoft installed the cumulative update. After the reboot, explorer constantly crashes. Everytime you try and open a window, the screen flashes and the explorer.exe app crashes. I looked on the Internet and there appears to be no easy fix. 

So I did a full recovery letting Windows 10 reload all of the base files. Tried to run the updates one more time thinking perhaps a fluke. Same exact problem and nothing I've tried for a fix has worked. Tried several reg hacks with no luck. So back to square one. Full recovery of Windows 10.

This time I will not be running the updates. The bigger problem is updates are forced in Windows 10. You can no longer choose individual updates. I tried to uninstall the cumulative updates after the explorer bug and it still did not fix the problem. So I have this brand new laptop that I can't run updates on because I can't be selective about it. Downgrading to Windows 8.1 is not an option as the Metro interface is abysmal. I'm seriously thinking about downgrading to Windows 7. 

Has anyone else experienced this problem and if so, have you found a fix?

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder

I don't have your laptop, but I've upgraded four Windows 8.1 Acer computers to Windows 10 including the latest Fall Upgrade.  Haven't had a single problem.  No problems with cumulative updates either.  I upgraded a Windows 7 computer too.  No problems there either.

What antivirus are you using? Nod32?

How many users do you have setup on your laptop?

What drivers are you using?

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • TheCodeMan

No antivirus installed. Just the basic Windows Defender with 10.

Only one user, me, an administrator. 

The drivers were downloaded direct from the Acer website for my model laptop. Although, I experienced this issue before loading any drivers. It is most definitely the Windows updates.

• JordanB

Yeah that's strange.  If it were my computer, I would make sure I had latest BIOS.....and then I would wipe it with diskpart clean, and clean install Windows 10.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Can you check msinfo32 to make sure you are running Windows 10 Fall upgrade build (threshold2)?   And have latest BIOS?

Right click on windows start button (icon)

left click on run

type msinfo32

click ok

Maybe someone else will have some other suggestions.  Or I guess you could call Acer Support and maybe they've got a couple calls regarding some anomaly.  I just haven't seen it on this forum (yet).

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/37042/~/windows-10%3A-open-event-viewer

• TheCodeMan

Just updated the BIOS to the latest, 1.15. I am running Windows 10 Pro version 10.0.10586. Is that the latest?

• JordanB

Yes, that's the latest....the November upgrade.

win10prothreshold2.PNG

• TheCodeMan

So my path to upgrade was as follows. Windows 10 Home came on the laptop. I need domain support so I used diskpart to delete all partitions from drives. I then installed Windows 7 Pro, downloaded nic drivers, and registered the OS with Microsoft. I then performed a Windows 10 upgrade, and registered the OS with Microsoft. I then reinstalled Windows 10 performing a clean install. 

Not sure how else I could have done the install any cleaner than that. Explorer works fine until the updates are applied. BIOS update didn't fix it.

• JordanB

Ok. So you disabled secure boot to install Windows 7?  Or did you put the BIOS in legacy mode to install Windows 7?

is your current installation of Windows 10 pro UEFI/GPT or is it legacy MBR?

• JordanB

My UEFI/GPT installation of windows 10 pro (from disk management)

UEFIgptwin10pro.PNG

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GPTdisk0.PNG

• TheCodeMan

I did disable secure boot and put into legacy mode to install Windows 7. Currently I am running GPT and my drive appears exactly as yours. I ran sfc /scannow and some corruption was detected, including the original files. So I am in the process of completely reinstalling 10 from scratch. Downloading updates and installing drives as I type this. Fingers crossed, everything is looking good so far. 

Thanks for all the help.

• JordanB

No problem.  Hope it goes ok with the clean install.

• JordanB

Is it working ok?

Just to let you know that they did pull the threshold2 ISO.  If you got the iso, then you got it just in the nick of time.

http://gosporttimes.com/2015/11/22/microsoft-pulls-windows-10-november-update-version-1511/

To clean install windows 10, you can now only download the previous Windows 10 version that was released July 29th.  And then you have to wait 31 days to get threshold2 through windows update.

So if you're still having problems, you can download the "old" windows 10 ISO and clean install it.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

If that threshold2 (November Upgrade) is working good for you, then you better hang on to it as it is no longer available for download.  

• TheCodeMan

Yeah, I got it working but I will not run updates. I reloaded the OS, ran sfc to verify file integrity and downloaded all Windows updates. Once complete, file explorer would work fine but right mouse clicking on My Computer to get properties would flash the screen and crash explorer. So I reloaded the OS yet again and everything is working fine. Sfc reveals no file corruption. I made a backup in case things go south again. I'm just not running the Windows updates at this point so I can use my laptop. I really wish Microsoft would change their "forced update" policy.

Thanks for the heads up on the threshold 2 release. I have a couple of copies stashed away.