Aspire V3-551 - Windows 10

TRG86
TRG86 Member Posts: 7 New User

Hi there everybody, I hope you are doing well.

I have an Acer Aspire V3-551 running 64-Bit Windows 7 Home Premium that I bought in October 2012. I am thinking of upgrading to Windows 10 while Microsoft has the free update peroid running and I am already aware that this model is not officially supported by Acer in the Windows 10 environment, but the model is able to run Windows 10. I am wonderng if anybody has any input in reference to the V3-551 and Windows 10?

Best Answer

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓

I just installed Windows 10 on my V3-551 last night. When it finished, I didn't have a single error. Mine came with Windows 8.

It is all the same parts though so, you may be ok too.

I used the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool and checked Save Nothing.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

• TRG86

Thank you for the reply, I really appreciate it! I'm glad to hear that you didn't have any trouble with your installation, given you have the same model laptop that I do. I am a little scepticle though about compatibility in the long run with drivers and what-not, given that Acer does not offcially support Windows 10 on the V3-551, which I am not sure why they don't support this model. At the same time, Windows 10 was designed with Windows 7 and Windows 8 generation components in mind, really anything from the last decade, so like you, I may be okay with the installation and use of Windows 10...I am a little stuck on the fence about it.

Does anybody else have any experience with the V3-551 and Windows 10?

• philetus

You can't upgrade to Windows 8 without buying a key and you can upgrade to Win 10 for free.

They released Threshhold 2 last week and it is better in terms of compatability.Threshhold 2 is basically a completely new version of Windows 10.

I installed Start 10 in my V3 and it gives me a Win 7 start menu that I think is even better than Windows 7.

If you upgrade to Win 10, give the free trial a try.

You can try windows 10 and if it is not to your liking, you can roll your computer back to Windows 7.

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/rollback-from-windows-10

• TRG86

Yes, I am aware of all of that Smiley Happy Nor would I EVER use Windows 8 or 8.1 as my OS, yuck!

I am glad you have the same model I have (V3-551) and have not had any driver issues, which makes me feel a little bit better. I believe it is build 1522 that came out last week, correct me if I am wrong, which did make numerous improvements but apparently there is still very little you can do to customize the start menu and I am a user that has always taken advantage of pinning my most frequently used programs to both the start menu and the taskbar itself.

Another question, have you had any problems with any software you had installed since switching to Windows 10? I use Photoshop and Illustrator for work and don't want to deal with anything with those installations getting messed up.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    I use the CS5 release without any issue.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • TRG86

I'm also assuming that during installation it will create a Windows.old folder for the option to rollback, correct?

• IronFly

if you upgrade, yes.

• TRG86

Thought so, just wanted to make sure, pretty common practice with Windows the past few versions.

Just out of curiosity IronFly, are you also using the V3-551?

• IronFly

nope, sorry.

• TRG86

No worries, was just wondering. Still trying to to decide if I even want to risk the install, really not sure why Acer won't officially support this model, even though it is compatible with Windows 10...

• philetus

"but apparently there is still very little you can do to customize the start menu". Wrong.

My Windows 10 start menu

2015-11-10_1308.jpg

2015-11-10_1309.jpg

• TRG86

So, I did make the upgrade on my V3-551 last night, also with no issue and no errors. Everything is working fine.

• philetus

Glad to hear it. Enjoy.

• AnchorMan
    AnchorMan Member Posts: 2 New User

I've had lots of problems with my video card since installing Win 10. I go ot the Acer site, and they won't even talk to me. There are no Win 10 drivers listed for the video for my machine. I don't know what to do...

Be really careful. Acer doesn't seem to care about us. I'll never buy Acer again!

• AnchorMan
    AnchorMan Member Posts: 2 New User

Yes.