Hi Just joined but need some help with an Aspire S7

john40131
john40131 Member Posts: 8 New User

I have an Aspire S7-391 which has Windows 8.1 installed, I wanted to install Windows 7, so made a boot disk and ISO file to USB, during install there where a number of active pertitions so has I would normally do on a Laptop or Desktop consolidated all into 1 partition, after that I was getting message "Setup was unable to create a new system partition" so I think some of the partitions are used to install I then Identified that the Hard Drive is not a normal 2.5 inch Sata drive, oh dear", would appreciate any help to get me back on track to allow me to install Windows.

Regards John

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

No. The SSD is a M-SATA.

2015-11-13_2226.jpg

Did you delete all the partitions and make one partition?

If you did, you deleted your recovery, but you made a iso of the complete SSD,all the partitions?

You have a Win 7 usb and a key?

Were you able to boot from the Win 7 install?

• john40131

Yeh I deleted all the partitions and I think that was the big mistake, I wanted to put Win 7 on, I did actually put another post on another heading as I didnt get a response, I did eventually sort, coulnt boot from USB pen as couldnt get Bios to see it so got a USB CD Drive that showed up so booted and installed Win7 OK, only other problem was I couldnt get it to boot from UEFI in bios only legacy, but the next day when I tried it went straight to "Starting Windows" screen, other problem was mouse buttons on touchpad didnt work but found that was caused by battery pushing against underside of touchpad so a bit of tape eitherside of touchpad lifted battery far enough to work...Job Done.

Regards John

• KEHinWA
    KEHinWA Member Posts: 40 Devotee WiFi Icon

So you will now need to ORDER recover media and probably an external DVD drive to installed it.

Putting Windows 7  on  on a new machine that is designed for modern OS's is not a good move.

Get the recovery disks, then do the free update to Windows 10 it gives you start menu and all the improvements that help with battery and network etc.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

He can upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7.

• john40131

I got a USB drive from Amazon has I didnt have one came the next day, I put Win 7 on as I dont like Win8 and after seeing how this laptop performed with Win 10 I definately dont like Win 10 suppose OK if you have larger touch screen.

After installing Win 7 the difference in performance was astounding, this laptop was fully working withion 10 seconds and a lot more responsive than before also still got the touch screen use.

So very happy with Win7 at least I can find things.LOL

Regards John