VN7-591g fan behavior

gaplox
gaplox Member Posts: 3 New User

Hello there, i got a acer vn7-591 (with a 4720hq and a 860m) anyway i installed linux right away on it and while swapping the mechanical hdd to a ssd i noticed while turning on the laptop and booting into linux to make sure all was working that the two fans didn't spin at all until the cpu hit like 60c, is this normal on this laptop even on windows or is it maybe some issue under linux?

Just want to make sure so i can feel good about my purchase, much appreciated Smiley Happy, anyone who opened theirs up and noticed something like this? Seems like it's passive cooled until it hits 60ish then fans turn on until it gets to 50ish and stop again, cheers.

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Boot up and put your ear against the fan exaust grill.You will be able to hear the fan faintly.

Without the fans going it probably wouldn't get through boot before it shut down hard.

• gaplox

The thing is i had it open while actually loaded into linux and fans weren't spinning :/, they will spin past like 60c but not before that, and yeap while booting they will spin but then stop pretty fast until temps get near 60c then they will kick in again and so on and so on.

Is this normal on this laptop or not at all?

Either that or there's some hidden fan somewhere besides the 2 big ones on the back, idling on linux my temps are around 49-52. Also both spun at the same time when they did decide to spin at those threshold temps.

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

No, just the two fans.

"

System Noise

In idle mode, the Aspire's fans frequently stand still. As soon as the notebook is under load, however, the fans start up."

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Acer-Aspire-V15-Nitro-Black-Edition-VN7-591G-75TD-Notebook-Review-Update.133985.0.html

Seeems like it is normal.

• gaplox

Thanks for the info Smiley Happy, now i can be at ease hehe.

Cheers