R13 skylake model numbers

sszabo
sszabo Member Posts: 4 New User

Will the R13 model numbers change when the 6th gen Intel models are released?   I am interested in an R13 with the new Thunderbolt 3 port that is described on the R13 product page, but it looks like those models are the previous Generation.   The "spec" page does not list Thunderbolt or USB 3.1 on the individual models.

Best Answer

Answers

• KEHinWA
    KEHinWA Member Posts: 40 Devotee WiFi Icon

I have not seen the new models with Skylake out yet November Maybe?

• scrambler
    scrambler Member Posts: 127 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Answer âś“

It looks like they are coming up

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/model/NX.G8SAA.001

• sszabo

Thanks.   I already ordered the Dell XPS 13, so maybe next time.    Acer had said that these units were "coming in October 2015", so I gave up in mid-November.   It's a great design though.   I hope it succeeds.

• scrambler

The infinity display on the new XPS 13 and 15 are very nice, they make the machine so compact.

I wish ACER would release a new version of their 15" R7 (eazel hinge) with such a small bezel display Smiley Happy

I also which the would implement such a small bezel display on the R13.

On the DELL side, I wish they would imlement that display on the Inspiron 7000 that flips 360 degrees.

I desperatly want a compact 15" 2 in one, and I love the eazel hinge.... oh well

• sszabo

Same here.  Acer's easel design is great, but probably conflicts or competes with the ability to do something like infinity edge.  Maybe a new technology like OLED will be more flexible, pun intended.   In any case, both are better than the "spineless" design on the Surface.    It is funny how Microsoft did everything to try and not be a laptop, but came back around to it with SurfaceBook.   The clamshell's self-standing, hard-cover, keyboard with full power CPU and room for battery is hard to beat, and Acer's easel is the best design I've seen.

• scrambler

The main issue was that in the first eazel machine (the 15" R7) , people got put off by the trackpad being at the back. For almost everyone who bought one it turned out to be a non issue, but it did get bad press and discouraged people to give it a try.

This is why they went back with the traditional design on the R13, which actually makes the hinge not quite as productive.

I suggested a while back a revised design (below) that would accomodate both, but I am not sure Acer is willing to try again Smiley Sad

http://community.acer.com/t5/Acer-Ideas/Acer-we-need-a-refresh-of-the-15-quot-original-R7/idi-p/370691#U370691

• sszabo

Very cool.     That design looks like the best of both worlds, assuming they share power sources.    Hopefully someone will do it eventually.  Are "top executives really thinking hard" about it?   I'm not sure if that comment came from Acer.