how to clean install of Win 10 on Aspire One

Options
Rogmarble
Rogmarble Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives

Made the mistake of doing the Win 10 upgrade in early August. Laptop has developed some querks. Research on Microsoft Community is suggesting a clean install of Win 10 should work or at least fix some of the problems.

One issue is I have a user account that the command nety user does not "see". Other utility has discovered this account is "Acer-PC domain login"  The issue is that this user is first to open on boot of the PC and it is asking for a password.

I enabled the Administrator account so at least I can log in to use the PC.

I am running Media Creation Tool on the Aspire in question but am wondering if Win 10 will accept the Win 8.1 key when I try and do the install after formatting the HDD and booting from the USB drive.

Also How do I get to the BIOS on the Aspire to set the boot sequence to the USB 1st?

Answers

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder
    Options

It should find the Windows 8.1 key and activate your install. It has on three laptops I have clean installed on.

To be safe, you could put in a different HDD, since it's easy to do, and try it before you do it to your main HDD.

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/334/~/how-do-i-replace-the-hard-drive-on-the-acer-aspire-one-aod250-series-netbook%3F

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

First, make factory default recovery media.

http://acer--uk.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29925/~/use-acer-erecovery-management-to-restore-your-system-or-create-recovery-media

Typical clean install (only for computers that have previously upgraded to Windows 10 and verified activated):

1. Backup all your important personal files like photos, word documents...etc..etc,,..because the following steps will wipe your HDD or SSD.

2. Create a windows 10 installation media (either USB or DVD--doesn't matter which).  Choose "install on a different PC".

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

3. Go in to your BIOS settings and enable the "Boot Menu" and then save/exit.

4.  Boot the windows 10 USB or DVD installation media.

5.  After you choose your language, look for "Repair your PC"...and select "Repair your PC".

6. Navigate in the menu and select "Command Prompt"

7. Use "diskpart clean" which will wipe your HDD or SSD.  Be careful here, because if you select the wrong drive.....that would be bad.

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/The-Cru/Reset-your-SSD-to-factory-settings-Windows-DiskPart/ba-p/162503

8. After diskpart clean successfully runs, exit out of diskpart, and exit out of command prompt.

9. Navigate in the menu until you find "shutdown your computer"...and shutdown your computer.

10.  Turn on your computer, and install windows 10.  Choose custom install,  Left click on your blank drive that says "unallocated space" to select it. Left click on "next".  After you click "next", the windows installer will automatically format and partition your HDD/SSD and install windows 10 for you.  When it asks for a product key, you don't need to enter a key.....just click on "skip" or "not now", or "do this later".  It should automatically activate when it's done installing (assuming you're connected to internet).

11.  Check Acer website for drivers.

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

12. Or check windows update or component manufacturer for drivers.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • Rogmarble
    Rogmarble Member Posts: 29 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options

Due to ongoing problems with the Win 10 upgrade I went with the Nuclear option and did a clean install on my Acer Aspire

Used Media Creation Tool on USB, wiped the HDD and installed WIn 10.

Sure hope this install doesn't have the problems of the upgrade.

• Leone
    Leone Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

Options
    Omg!  I have no idea how to do any of that and computer was all working except camera.  Microsoft remote accessed my laptop and now my password doesn’t work and there’s no internet connection.  They said I need a clean installation disc?  Will I lose everything on my laotop??
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options
    It would help me to know which particular Aspire One model number we're dealing with here. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• radum
    radum Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options
    I have no ideea... SO from my laptop Aspire1 a114-31 crashed, after some virus maybe. I formated the eMMC, and try to reinstall. W 10 not finish instalation, death after first restart setup. I try windows 8.1. Work, but the drivers not avaible for this SO, just W64 b.....
    I use for upgrade media creation tool. The image has been created for this model, and bunrned to memory stick. I try these steps, enumerated  in this post, but some not work...... Any ideea? I find w10s, and not found....

• capun1950
    capun1950 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    I have a Acer Aspire One D255 model that I upgraded to 2GB DRAM and a 120 GB SSD. I was trying to upgrade it to Windows 10. The current Windows 7 Starter seems to be the 32-version. I am having problems doing a Windows10 32-bit upgrade, Launching the Install, I get an error about not finding a CD/DVD/HD driver. Tried different AHCI drivers but no luck. I have a couple of questions that I need help with
    - Do I need to stick to a 32-bit Windows10 because of the Windows7 Keys?
    - Can I do an Advanced Windows10 Installation and do a clean install or do I need to completely erase the disk as per the previous instructions?
    - Has anyone run into this driver issue? I don't want to do the clean install and get the same issues.

Thanks
  • JackE
    Options
    How are you trying to install Win10? From a USB installation stick? From an external DVD disc? Where did you get it? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• capun1950
    capun1950 Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    Windows 10 Home (32/64 bit version) ISO straight from Microsoft and put into a USB Stick.
    I ended up doing a clean install but it would get into a loop saving the previous OS files into a temp directory, failure would be the same as the original Upgrade install for a missing driver.
    I was just about ready to re-install Windows 7, so I shut down the system and booted up, Got a message if I wanted to boot from the Windows 10 install, did it and it completed the Windows 10 install, what gives? Anyhow, I got the Aspire to run Windows 10, it did take to complete the install as expected and a lot longer to get it up to date, except the newer build that I am holding on to upgrade.
    I did loose the Microsoft Basic Suite due to clean install but I can live with it.
  • JackE
    Options
    >>> what gives?>>>>

Good for you! Good luck with it even though it's not quite as good and trouble-free as Win7 was. What gives?  Lotsa bugs in Win10.  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ