Windows 10 on Aspire One

grovelli
grovelli Member Posts: 20 Troubleshooter

My Aspire One(with 2GB ram) used to have Win 7 Starter onboard but last July a message from Microsoft asked whether I wanted to do a check of the machine for the feasibility of installing Win 10. I accepted it, the test results were the netbook was ok for installling Win 10 so I went ahead. Beside having to upgrade the Ethernet card driver, everything went swimmingly well and for 2 months I've been enjoying using it but two weeks ago all of a sudden Win 10 starts up but doesn't boot all the way to seeing the desktop, the screen remains blank with only a circle on screen that moves when I use the touchpad.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

try this:
    at boot press ALT+F10 this will start Acer/windows recovery.
    From the Recovery screen
    Click on Troubleshoot.
    Click on Advanced Options.
    Click on Startup Settings.
    Click on Restart.
    The PC will now reboot to the Startup Settings screen.
    Press 4 to Enable Safe Mode as prompted.

once in Safe mode, go to Device manager, click on Display adapters, right click on your VGA and choose uninstall(tick to uninstall software too).

reboot normally and check if black/blank screen is fixed.

if recovery is not working, you can download from microsoft a bootable windows 10 media and use it to enter recovery.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • grovelli

Thanks, besides the fact I don't understand why Alt+F10 isn't working(or even F2 to enter BIOS for that matter), it looks like, reading the page you gave the link to, I have to install Windows 10 from a blank USB drive on which I have uploaded the media creation tool?

• IronFly

try also F8 or shift+F8

you have to download the media creation tool, run it on your actual PC and let it download windows 10 installation files, at the end it will ask you what you want to do; select create an USB media, plug an USB flash drive and let the media creation tool creates the USB media.

once done, plug the USB flash drive to your laptop, press F12 and choose the USB flash drive as bootable device, then choose repair my PC and the path i wrote on my previous post.

if F12 doesn't work, let it boot normally and hope it will boot from the USB media instead of HDD. 

• grovelli

I'm afraid not even F12 is responded to and booting normally nothing happens. Here's the content of the USB drive which I've uploaded the media creation tool on.

• IronFly

Yes, the content is correct.

Can you unplug the HDD and check if you can reach BIOS pressing F2 or if it's able to boot from USB flash drive?

• grovelli

So I've been able to access F2 and thus enable F12 to boot with the USB drive and following your path I've reached the Advanced Options window: with 5 options. Startup Settings doesn't work, Automatic Repair doesn't work. Of the other three options: System Restore, Command Prompt and System Image Recovery I've chosen System Restore just before the last Windows 10 update on 19th October and I'm running it as I type this.

• IronFly

ok let me know.

• grovelli

No joy, I still get the blank/black screen with the small twirling blue circle that moves when I use the touchpad. The hard disk led has been flashing for half an hour now but I guess it's just going through the motions rather than achieving anything.

• IronFly

are you able to enter command promtp and type:

sfc /scannow

any errors reported?

• grovelli

Yes I can :-) I'm running it now as I type this

• grovelli

Carries out the scan but at the end the message is "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service"

• grovelli

Even preceding the System File Checker with net start trustedinstaller I still get the same error message "Windows Resource Protection could not start the repair service"

• IronFly

ok, it's time to check HDD.

from the command prompt:

chkdsk c:

• grovelli

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required.

0 bad sectors

Failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50

• IronFly
  • IronFly

In my opinion, the only way to fix it, is on my previous post about entering safe mode.

Can you try again to enter safe mode from the USB flash drive

• grovelli

You get to safe mode using Startup Settings but that doesn't work and it advises to use Reset Your Pc instead; should I go ahead?

• IronFly

Reset means that it will re-install from scratch so you will loose all your personal data.

if you don't mind...go ahead.

you can try refresh, this will keep your files.

• grovelli

I've done Refresh and got Aspire One back to lifeSmiley Very Happy

You've been of tremendous help, thank you so much