How to migrate R7-572G Win8.1 to mSATA SDD?

Options
chienyuchuan
chienyuchuan Member Posts: 5 New User

Hi, there's a question to solve?

I've just installed a new mSATA(Crucial MX200 250GB) to my Aspire R7-572G laptop, and I follow the instruction of thread -Aspire R7-572 Teardown (http://community.acer.com/t5/2014-Archives/Aspire-R7-572-Teardown/m-p/217869#M36147).

The trouble is that the new SSD won't boot, and I've format the original 1TB HDD, but at least I do backup a USB boot stick for recovery. After googleing I found a thread show the bellowing steps:

1.use Acer recovery manament to make a USB boot stick for recovery, and edit usb stick /sources/ReCreatePartition.txt, alter create partition primary size = 100000

(it means 100GB for disk C)

2.remove 1TB HDD

3.install new SSD

4.boot from usb stick

5.restore win8.1 to new ssd

6.reboot and test if new ssd boot correctly, and if it's okay then install original 1TB HDD to laptop

7.enter bios, set the new ssd start first.

If any suggestion about step 1 (alter create partition primary size), or anyone try these steps before?

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

modifying the primary partition to 100GB can be correct since the mSATA is smaller than the HDD, so if the main partition is set too big from factory, the installation will fail on the mSATA (not enough storage)

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

modifying the primary partition to 100GB can be correct since the mSATA is smaller than the HDD, so if the main partition is set too big from factory, the installation will fail on the mSATA (not enough storage)

• chienyuchuan
    Options

Thanks to IronFly, I'll try it after working~ Hope it'd work fine~

• chienyuchuan
    Options

Thanks to JordanB, I've tried the steps, and it works.(set create partition primary size = 200000)

First it failed that some file cannot copied, and then I'd try it again(without clean partition), and it finally boot successfully.

There's two question bellowing to solve:

1. I had create win8.1 system image at first(for emergency), and I can't find that system image in my original 1TB HDD.

I used gparted to delete win8 partition of orginal 1TB HDD, and adjust partition data to all disk. Therefore, it should be there without deleted. I've check directory was \WindowsImageBackup\Acer , but I've change the Computer name to Chien.

Is it possible just to modify my computer name to Acer, and system image would be found?

2. I don't wanna keep partition data of new 256GB SSD, could I just use gparted to delete that partition and adjust partition win8 to cover that space?

• IronFly
    Options

1. computer name doesn't matter on system image folder; i can't understand exactly what's your problem:

can't find that path, can't the PC load and restore from that system image?

2. yes, you can; you can do it from windows disk management too.

• chienyuchuan
    Options

IronFly wrote:

1. computer name doesn't matter on system image folder; i can't understand exactly what's your problem:

can't find that path, can't the PC load and restore from that system image?

2. yes, you can; you can do it from windows disk management too.

Thanks to IronFly. My first question was that I can find the system image folder in original 1TB HDD after booting from 256GB SSD, but when booting by acer USB thumb drive to restore system image, it showed cann't find system image.

Therefore, I guess it's just because of changing computer name of win 8.1(installed on the 256GB SSD) to Chien (diffrerent from system image folder  \WindowsImageBackup\Acer of original 1TB HDD ). Or any suggestion?

• IronFly
    Options

try to change the last path name and try again.

• chienyuchuan
    Options

IronFly wrote:

try to change the last path name and try again.

Thanks to IronFly. After restoring Win 8.1 from USB stick to original 1TB HDD, boot from original 1TB HDD. It could use recovery from that system image file.

I think it's because the partition size of original 1TB HDD was 437GB(although it only use 100GB space), but the partition of new SSD was 200GB. Windows 8.1 recovery tool only accept recover from small partion size to bigger partition size.

Afterall I download Macrium Reflect trial version, clone partition CSmiley Sadoriginal 1TB HDD) to partition CSmiley Sadnew 256GB SSD), and it works. Thanks again.

• IronFly
    Options

You welcome. Smiley Happy