Aspire SW5-012 stiil waiting for windows 10

Options
hgmartin9
hgmartin9 Member Posts: 132 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited March 2023 in 2015 Archives

The windows 10 app still shows "We're validating windows10 for your pc." since july. I want to do it through the app and not by media boot download. Anyone else still getting this message for a sw5-012?

Best Answer

Answers

• hgmartin9
    Options

Has anyone received the windows 10 upgrade for the switch 10?

• kaufmanj1973
    kaufmanj1973 Member Posts: 6 New User
    Options

IMy Aspire SW5-012 gave me the option to upgrade to Windows 10, but EVERY TIME I try to do an upgrade, it fails.  It downloads the software to my USB, attempts to install it, and then fails.  I tried Acer support, and they directed me to Microsoft.  I tried Microsoft, and they said it's an Acer problem.  Now I discover that I can't even do a factory restore, it takes forever in the "Please wait. Preparing ..." stage, then it gives me an error message, "There was a problem resetting your PC."  So I'm stuck with a partial Windows 8.1 install, with no way to reset it or upgrade to Windows 10.

I very much regret ever buying this tablet.

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
  • kaufmanj1973
    Options

That doesn't help me at all.  I have no problem GETTING the Windows 10 upgrade files.  It's the installation that's a nightmare.  I've been trying for 5 weeks now, numerous install attempts, and get the EXACT same nonsense message "Something Happened" error.  I have tried every solution I have found online (changing locale, even though I'm already set for US-English; freeing up every last byte of space on my SSD; on and on).  Still no luck.  Acer blames Microsoft, and Microsoft blames Acer.

• IronFly
    Options

my answer was for the OP.

your case is the worst nightmare on updating windows, since that error message tells nothing (to blame microsoft).

if you already checked if all windows update are installed (even suggested), the only thing i can suggest is to try a factory reset, do the updates and windows 10 update without installing any programs.

i know, not a really solution (i hate to factory reset too) but i don't have other ideas. Smiley Happy

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • kaufmanj1973
    Options

Many thanks for the response.  I agree, it's a nightmare issue.  I had NO issues upgrading my ASUS laptop to Windows 10, and it works beautifully.  That's why I'd like to upgrade my Aspire unit.

I have been trying -- repeatedly -- to do a factory restore, and have not had any luck.  I tried through the Acer Recovery app, and get an error.  I try through Windows Backup/Restore, and get an error.  NOTHING works on this **bleep** thing!  The only reason I haven't returned it is because it's past the time limit for returning to Office Depot.  I've spent hours and hours online with Acer and Microsoft support, and all they do is blame each other.  Acer won't even send me a factory reset drive to try to do a factory restore that way.

• kaufmanj1973
    Options

Oh, and I forgot to add, I was never able to create a factory restore backup, either.

• IronFly
    Options

I think Acer can send you the recovery media but you have to pay it.

if you want, open a new thread, since your issue is different from the thread title, and we will try to help you as far as possible. Smiley Happy

• hgmartin9
    Options

Thank you IronFly. The link you provided worked. Window 10 downloaded. It did keep failing on installing. I read some tips online about failed 10 installs and found changing folders back to default location worked. It installed with no problems.

• Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

Hi there! Having the same issue with my sw5-012, win10 keeps failing no matter what. May I ask you where did you find the solution? which folders should be replaced and so on?

thank you in advance

• kaufmanj1973
    Options

I have NEVER been able to solve this problem.  I have tried repeatedly to install Windows 10, using every method available (Windows Update, direct download of the ISO, USB, blah blah).  Nothing works, I just keep getting that oh-so-meaningful "Something Happened" message, letting me know that the install failed.

I spent over an hour on the phone with Acer, as well as via online chat, and nothing they suggested fixed the problem.  They now tell me to go to Microsoft, because Microsoft is supposed to fix these little problems, but when I contact Microsoft I am told to contact Acer support, because Microsoft didn't sell me the computer.

• Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options

I'm sorry to hear that Smiley Sad

I'm having the same problem, and I didn't bother contacting any of these parties because I knew they'll be pointing at each other

• IronFly
    Options

Microsoft just released windows 10 v1511 with a lot of fix; you can still use the download link:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO

one thing to try is to factory reset your SW5 and then try the upgrade.

• kaufmanj1973
    Options

Thank you for the advice, but it still won't work.  I cannot use a direct Windows 10 ISO - I must use the upgrade path, otherwise I won't be eligible for the free upgrade from Windows 8.1.

Also, I've done at least 7-8 factory ressets, and it still gives me the exact same error message.

• Bassie
    Bassie Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

Hi Martin,

Can you share the link? Which folders should be changed? I've the same issue and nobody seems to now the answer. After ten tries I'm a little frustrated.

Would be much apppreciated

Kind regards

Bas

• hgmartin9
    Options
    Use the link Ironfly provided on page one of this thread. If you have any folders such as music directed to SD card change them back to default location and remove SD card. You can move them back after upgrade. OneDrive can't be moved to SD card on windows 10. Good luck.
  • IronFly
    Options

kaufmanj1973 wrote:

Thank you for the advice, but it still won't work.  I cannot use a direct Windows 10 ISO - I must use the upgrade path, otherwise I won't be eligible for the free upgrade from Windows 8.1.

Also, I've done at least 7-8 factory ressets, and it still gives me the exact same error message.

not true. Smiley Happy

you can use the iso to burn your image and booting from that choosing upgrade instead of clean install.

by the way, Microsoft introduced the possibility to use windows 7 and up keys to do a clean install, without doing the upgrade first.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/7695/heres-whats-new-in-the-windows-10-fall-update

"So with the Fall Update, Microsoft has made it much easier to activate Windows 10 on these PCs. Now, you can simply use your existing Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 8.1 product key to activate Windows 10 (if it doesn’t automatically activate)."

in my opinion, you can create an Acer erecovery media, then try to do a clean install using your windows 8.1 product key (you can found it with some tools).

• IronFly
    Options

oh, if you have a microSD inserted, this can create some issue on windows 10 update!

try to upgrade without any microSD card inserted.

• Bassie
    Bassie Member Posts: 3 New User
    Options

I don't have an SD inserted.

Downloading W10 seems to work ok. When it starts installing it's finished within 10 minutes. It says 100% and then reboots. After the reboot I get the simple message/; something happened, installation failed. I updated three Asus t100 without any problem. This took over 45 minutes. I got the black screen with the circle and the big percentage picture. With this update I only see the blue installing screen

• hgmartin9
    Options

Do you have the latest Bios update? Mine is Windows 10 bios capsule.

Acer drivers

Then try this:

Installing Windows 10 November Release After it Failed