Acer A5600U-UR11 will not boot. Black Screen. Unable to enter BIOS

mingo1
mingo1 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited October 2023 in 2020 Archives

Hello,

I attempted to update my mom's Acer A5600U-UR11 All-In-One by following the prompts provided by Windows. Everything worked fine and I was able to update from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10. After restarting the computer I saw the Acer loading screen then the Windows log-in page. The computer then crashed and will not restart.

With the computer shut off, I unplugged and replugged the power cable and tried starting the computer again. I am only presented with a blank screen. The computer powers up and I see the screen light up slightly then go black. I've tried restarting several times. I am unable to enter the BIOS. I've tried pressing F2, F12, Esc, and the Delete Key (all separate times) to attempt to see something, but no luck. I do not receive a beep either. I also attempted to connect a USB keyboard, but was still unable to enter the BIOS.

I do not need to save the Windows system and I'm fine with doing a clean install.

Any suggestions to get the computer to be responsive?

Answers

• mingo1

I reset the CMOS by moving the jumper pins. After starting it up again I still had the same issue. Then for no reason at all, the computer started up again. I was able to install Windows 10 and all was good. I shut down the computer to put the cover back on and put it back on the desk. I turned on the computer and... nothing...

I tried to reset the CMOS again, but that did not work.

I ended up leaving the computer running and after 25 minutes I heard a beep and the acer loading screen appeared. i was able to log into Windows 10. I don't think this is normal. I'm sure when I shut down the computer the same issue will occur. At least I know the solution for now is patience. Does anyone else have this issue?

• mingo1

Hello Everyone,

I am experiencing this problem again and I need some suggestions. I turned the Acer A5600U-UR11 on and left it for over an hour, but I still have a black screen. Sometimes it turns on after a few minutes and other times it does not. This is a sporadic yet persistent issue that has not been solved.

I’ve tried clicking the other buttons on right hand side during start up. I believe my next attempt will be to flash the BIOS but I fear that I will completely brick the computer after that. I'm also not entirely sure how to do this if I am unable to enter into the BIOS.

Additional troublshooting steps or possible solutions will be greatly appreciated.

• mattm1010
    mattm1010 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have had the same issue, not sure how it occured, but it has this way for months now, is there no Acer support staff that can be called. I recieved the computer as christmas gift and just want to reset the computer back to the factory default everything i am reading here sounds complicatied. But same issue.

Thanks,

Matthew

• halberd388
    halberd388 Member Posts: 1 New User

I realize this is gravedigging a post, however, I wanted to inform others that come across this thread on possible solutions as I ran into this issue with a few of these specific models and wanted to power the solutions I have found to work for ALL of them thus far without resorting to shimming the GPU/CPU to increase contact or blind-flashing the BIOS.

The issue I am speaking about is the following: Turning the computer on the power light will illuminate, the screen will from pitch black then light grey (showing the backlight illuminates), however, the screen turns black and either the power light turns off after a few minutes or the power light stays on indefinitely.

This seems to relate to all sub-models of All-In-One A5600U and might even relate to all Acer All-In-One models after 2012 but I have no way to confirm. To some folks who are a bit versed in IT some of the solutions might seem trivial, but if you really HAVEN'T attempted them I suggest you try.

Solution 1: Power discharge

1. With the power light off, unplug the power cord from the computer (or wall, or cord from the wart whichever is easiest to access)
    2. Hold the power button for 10 seconds.
    3. Plug the cord back in and turn it back on to see if issue changes.

Solution 2: Rule out peripherals

1. With the power light off, unplug everything except the power. (Yes, the keyboard, mouse, externals speakers, anything.)
    2. Turn the computer on, with your items unplugged, and see if the issue changes.

Solution 3: Reset BIOS Settings (most common solution)

1. With the power light off, plug the keyboard back in (so now all that is plugged in is the power and keyboard)
    2. Press-and-hold F10 then turn on the power.
    3. Continue to hold F10 then after 30 seconds you should hear 2 loud beeps and a screen with white text should appear confirming the BIOS reset.
    4. Release F10 then press F1 to continue boot.

Solution 4: Reset CMOS

This solution requires taking off a panel on the computer and moving a part called a jumper, if you are uncomfortable with doing this or have no idea what this is I suggest you take it to a technician and let them know what you have tried thus far because I will not go into specifics below what a tech should already know.

1. Lay the computer flat on its screen with the kickstand bottom facing you.
    2. Along the 'bump' past the kickstand looking from bottom to top, where the power, USB devices, HDMI and other ports are, you should see 2 screws on either side. (if you see more than 2 screws, you might be looking at the very bottom which is not correct).
      1. Remove the 2 screws
    3. Place your thumbs firmly on top of the left and right edges of this cover and pull down, it should slide but stop.
    4. Use your fingers to gently pry the cover toward you, being careful not to yank as there are plastic tabs that hold it in place. It should require almost no force at all.
    5. Near the hard drive (top right) you will see the CMOS jumper. Move the jumper from 0 to 1.
    6. Plug in power, press and hold power button for 10 seconds.
    7. Move the jumper back and power on again to check if issue is resolved.

There are other solutions online that are more complex, which you may feel free to look up.

• d2lea
    d2lea Member Posts: 1 New User

I followed your solutions and after the 4th I got my computer to respond, but it was only temporary.  A power cut saw the same black screen issue on powering up again. It took 3 or 4 attempts at resetting the CMOS to bring it back to life again.

I finally resorted to flashing the BIOS with a download from Acer after learning about UEFI/BIOS and finding out I had UEFI.  The tool provided worked and all is back as it was.

My reset BIOS was reporting a version that isn't on Acer's support page - P11 A0 v 2.0 and I flashed A11 A4

• anthony9
    anthony9 Member Posts: 3 New User
    did this method help?
  • INCONGRUOUS
    INCONGRUOUS Member Posts: 11 New User
    HI , i am having same issue as above ,done reset , done jumper position change , pretty much every thing above but nothing has worked so far , any other tips
  • INCONGRUOUS
    HI same issues and able to start up again by trying something each time but what the ultimate solution . no one has given how to fix it completely 
  • INCONGRUOUS
    as no one is replying ,is there any support number to call for this kind of problem ?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    @INCONGRUOUS you should likely start a new thread for your question. Most people see the 2015 date on this one and just skip it... Include the full model number, what you are seeing, what you expect instead and what you have tried so far. There are a lot of different things that can cause a no boot, so we'll likely have to get more into the details.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.