Aspire R7-371T Wifi frequently chokes!

Options
abdrb
abdrb Member Posts: 5 New User

Hello all.

I recently bought an Aspire R13 (R7-371T).

Wifi card: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265.

Problem: The wifi connects and works for a few minutes, then it remains connected but the internet simply doesn't work! Sometimes it will say "Limited" but other times it doesn't say that there's a problem at all! It just simply won't work. It remains like that for a few mins then works again. This repeats forever.

No other devices have the same issue.

- I updated drivers. Problem remains.

- Purchased a USB wireless driver. (TP-Link). Problem remains.

- Tried on multiple different routers (at friends' houses). Problem remains.

Can someone please tell me what the issue is?

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

Which driver are you using?  From intel's website?

https://communities.intel.com/message/312755

Edit: Have you tried doing a factory reset?

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • abdrb
    Options

Thank you for the reply.

Yes I'm using the driver from Inel's website. The laptop came with Windows 8.1 and the problem existed. I updated driver from Intel's website and problem remained.

I then upgraded to Windows 10 using the built in upgrade and then upgraded the wifi driver from Intel's website and still the problem remains.

I can't do a factory reset because it says to insert installation media. Apparently my laptop didn't come with a built in recovery?? I spoke to Acer about this and they said I should send the computer in to look at it........

• JordanB
    Options

Ok. The only thing I can think of at the moment is to read through that link to Intel forum in my previous post and see if there is some troubleshooting tips you can try.  The person from Intel also posted a link or two for other troubleshooting steps. 

Hopefully someone else will read your post and give you some other things to try. 

• JordanB
    Options

As far as resetting your computer.....

Make sure you backup your files.  Smiley Wink

Try to make a USB factory default recovery drive first. 

On the right hand side of the screen, there's some helpful Acer videos.  And you can search your computer by typing "recovery".  

You can try the shift-restart method for recovery too. Or the Alt-F10 method. I reset someone's PC a couple weeks ago, and it gave me the option to reset to original factory defaults..i.e. Windows 8.1 and it also gave me the option to just completely reset Windows 10. 

• abdrb
    Options

Thanks again Jordan.

As far as backing up my files - the computer is new, I don't have anything to backup.

I tried the Alt+F10 method, it booted into a blue window with Acer logo, and said to insert recovery media.

I tried to create backup using the Acer care center recovery management tool but it refused to do so. I think it gave me the same error msg.

I tried the troubleshooting tips in the link provided. Changed all the settings the post said. Nothing changed.

• abdrb
    Options

When I try to create a recovery drive it says:

"We can't create a recovery drive on this PC. Some required files are missing. To troubleshoot problems when your PC can't start, use your Windows installaton disc or media."

I haven't installed stuff or messed with the system in any way besides using the built in functiont to upgrade to Windows 10.

• JordanB
    Options

Ok.  Try with these instructions....

Scroll down to Here's How:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4200-recovery-drive-create-windows-10-a.html

If it doesn't work, please post.

• JordanB
    Options

If you can't create a recovery drive, you can try to go to "Settings" and then "Update and Security" and then click on Recovery....to reset your PC.