VN7-591G Heat Management

Elixio
Elixio Member Posts: 15

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives

Hello Community and fellow V15 Nitro owners.  I wanted to share another experience with you regarding heat issues for the V15 Nitro, specifically VN7-591G.  So most of us are aware of the ability to manually control the fan speeds with RW Everything.  Which is great, but can be a pain in the butt since it has to be adjusted manually.  And yes there are scripts to "automate" the process but unless you know how to write your own scripts you are limited to the ones already provided by others.  Alas, there is another solution...

Notebook Fan Control

You can use this app to create custom fan profiles for your notebook which is totally automated editing of the EC (embedded controller).  Basically it's the same thing that RW Everything does only it has an easy to use interface which you can switch to "Auto" based on the fan profiles you create.  You can switch to "Manual" to adjust the fans to run at a static speed.  Or you can shut the service down to return full control back to the BIOS.

You can download the app here

And the config (.xml) file for VN7-591G can be found here

A quick tutorial video is available on Youtube here

Now the only catch is that the profile is not preloaded into the config files for the app so you have to add it yourself.

The easiest way to make it work is to

1. Navigate to the "Configs" folder located in the folder where NBFC placed itself. ex: C:\Program Files (x86)\NoteBook FanControl\Configs
  2. Make a copy of any one of the config files
  3. Open the config file you just made a copy of and select all and delete all the text
  4. Copy the xml text from the url above and paste it into the copied config file, just a simple copy and paste will do
  5. Save, then exit.
  6. Rename the file as whatever you wish, so you can find it in the drop down where you select the config file. 

To adjust the fan profile to your own liking when you select the config file with the button in the upper right, click edit, then select the Fan Configuration tab, then select the thresholds tab and you can adjust the upper and lower thresholds as well as the fan speed.  You can add or delete a number of thresholds to be more or less for more precise control.  Both fans can have their own profile as well since the EC allows both fans to function independent of the other.  

If you have any questions feel free to shout out! I hope this is as helpful for you with managing heat as it is for me! 

Answers

• Elixio

Tinkerer

I think after about 50 hours of reading, research, tuning, tweeking, and testing I have found the ideal settings for my needs on the VN7-591G.  I wasn't very happy with the unit at first but after much effort I find this model to be quite powerful for the package it's in.  

I currently run at:

Intel XTU

1    Core 3.0 ghz

2    Core 2.9 ghz

3/4Core 2.8 gnz

-50mv Core undervolt

Balanced Power Profile

Min CPU 0%

Max CPU 100%

Notebook Fan Control  - Core Temps generally don't go over 85, and if they do not for long, so basically my Critical temp for 99% fan speed is 90c.

Auto Fan Profile

60-55 20%

65-60 30%

70-60 50%

75-60 80%

85-70 90%

90-85 99%

With all of these settings even under heavy gaming load core temps hover around 75-80c.  I also repasted my CPU and GPU with Ceramique 2.  I am more than willing to help answer any questions anyone has about heat management and making the whole process as easy as possible.  I hope that all of this helps others in the community who are plagued with frame rate drops and thermal throttling.

Regards,

-Eli

• Roysmits24
    Roysmits24 Member Posts: 1 New User

So I finally found the way to control my laptop fans, thanks for your help! I still have one more question: is this auto fan scheme you posted made by yourself, or is that the way Notebook Fancontrol controls the fans when I set the program to 'auto'? 

• Elixio

Tinkerer

I made that profile, its much more specific and graduating degrees/fan speed %s than the auto profile that comes "pre-installed".
  • queensbay
    queensbay Member Posts: 8 New User

hi, have you try to updated to the newsest bios which is the 1.15 version, i would like to know whether this bios had changed up the fan management of the laptop.

• Elixio

Tinkerer

I have not tried, I've been so busy working 7 days a week I havent even been having fun with it. I'd imagine that fan control hasnt changed much if any, typically the way it comes out of the box is the way it remains. Our best bet as a solution from Acer would be Cool Boost being made available to our series. And even if that were to happen I still think NBFC would be a better option.

Regards
    -Eli
  • dimiras
    dimiras Member Posts: 1 New User

where can i get the xml config file?

• Elixio

Tinkerer

Let me dig a little and I'll see if I can't send you a little more detailed instructions with the xml.
  • Elixio

Tinkerer

I have the xml file but I still have a little more homework, because I had to change another setting for the IC to properly control the fan, otherwise it's a bit wonky.  Give me another day or two to determine the exact solution and I will have detailed instructions for you dimiras.

Let me ask you this.  Are you using the 591G?  I ask because I have found that the IC is a tad bit different for each.  Let me know when you can.

Regards,

-Eli

• MoazZahid
    MoazZahid Member Posts: 3 New User
    Dear Eli
    I want your help.... yesterday my acer just died .... on opening the laptop i found that the top 2 ics (out of 3) on motherboard have fried...are these the lower ics?
    What is their exact model so that i can acquire them from elsewhere?
    Any help would be grealty appreciated...
  • Elixio

Tinkerer

MoazZahid,

Let me dig and see what I can find for you. I'll fat back to you on here soon.
  • MoazZahid
    MoazZahid Member Posts: 3 New User
    Thankyou very much ill wait for your reply. I have had pictures of the ic's on the motherboard and can send it you if you would like.
  • leonardred156
    leonardred156 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Where is the config file for this? Please help.