I have upgraded my Travelmate 7730 to Windows 10. The WiFi button is no longer operative.

Jon3
Jon3 Member Posts: 4 New User

I have tried Fn + F3 with no luck. I have also dowloaded new driver Intel(R) Wireless WiFi Link 5100 which is supposed to work with Windows 10 32 bit with no luck as I am unable to uninstall the old driver Intel(R) wifi Link 5100 AGN.When I try to update driver I get the message that there are no suitable drivers. Please help.

Best Answer

Answers

• Did you uninstall the Intel in add and remove and device manager?

• Jon3

Hi Philatus

I am an absolute novice at solving these kind of probs.

A bit of background. The problem is with an Acer Travelmate 7730 dual boot XP and 7. For years I used XP with no probs until it became unsupported, I then rebooted to Windows 7. This reformatted the hard drive. I loaded nothing and waited for the upgrade offer to Windows 10 which duly arrived and I downloaded and installed. On Boot-up I noticed at once that there was no Internet conection and the WiFi button no longer worked. I assumed a driver problem and downloaded one that is supposed to work with 10 via a flash drive on another computer. I then copied from the flash drive to C:/Windows/System32/drivers and tried to update the driver in Device Manager which seemed to work. However still no WiFi and looking at the Driver details under Resources it "The device cannot find enough  free resources that it can use. You need to disable one of the other devices on the system." This seems strange as I cannot see any devices that would be taking up resources and if I use Resource Monitor it shows plenty of spare capacity. I am now at a complete loss and would appreciate any help possible bearing in mind I am a complete ***** and would need step by step instructions. Many thanks.

• Did you uninstall everything relating to the old driver in Add and Remove and Device Manager before you installed the new driver?

If you have more than one wifi driver software on your machine, it's not going to work.

Uninstall everything related to Wifi, reboot, and install the driver. 

If you did, then you will have to search for and install other drivers until you find one that will work.

I got a V#-551(Windows 8) in 2013 and installed Windows 7. Aver had no 7 drivers for it and I tried about 10 drivers before I found one that would work.

I've also tried on other laptops and could not find one that would work. Good luck.

• Rolexone
    Rolexone Member Posts: 1 New User
    Answer ✓

This worked for me! I'm online on my Satelite 7730 right now!

Go to: device manager > PCMCIA adapters
    Right click    ???????SmartCardBus Controller > properties
    On   Driver   tab disable the card.
    Network adapters should start working in a few seconds.
    I got this from "http://srndolha.wordpress.com/2013/10/18/windows-8-1-update-disabled-all-networking/"

• philetus
    philetus ACE Posts: 4,759 Pathfinder

Good for you. I probably would have never thought of a PCMCIA adapter.

• Jon3

Excellent result, I was about to throw out the laptop in frustration. I can't thank you enough.

• pioneer1407
    pioneer1407 Member Posts: 1 New User

This recommondation solved my problem with the WIFI button not longer operative. Thank you very much!

• bitpit
    bitpit Member Posts: 1 New User

Thank you very much for your answer, it saved my day !

After disableling the PCMCIA-Adaptor in DeviceManager I had to reboot the system.

Now the LAN/WLAN works fine !

Peter

• rontuijnman
    rontuijnman Member Posts: 1 New User

Thanx man! Worked for me too! I was affraid I´ve lost my lovely machine since there were no restorepoints created... Truely gratefull!