Reseat Backlight Acer C720

chronofar
chronofar Member Posts: 2 New User

My backlight has decided to ***** out on me, wasn't even dropped or jostled just in the middle of using it just went dark. I'm fairly certain it's the backlight because there is still an image on the screen just very very faint. I can see it power on though and can log in, everything looks fine. I'm going to test with an HDMI when I get the chance but I expect that just to confirm my suspicions. 

I happen to be traveling right now making sending in for warranty repair less than desirable, so I'm hoping perhaps there is a way to easily (or semi-easily), check the connections and reseat them, as is mentioned in this thread. Before I go hunting for a screwdriver and fiddling with things does anyone have experience with this or have an alternative fix suggestion? 

Thanks!

Answers

• Alfin72
    Alfin72 Member Posts: 42 Enthusiast WiFi Icon

The most common factors in backlight are the cable to the display being not properly seated.  check the one that plugs into the motherboard.

They are held on by tape, which works most of the time, but it it's not really tight then the connector comes loose in a fall or bump.  Frequently you can see an image but no backlight.  

---------------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​----------------------------- Remember to mark "Accept as Solution",If I was helpful and the post solved your problem.  This will make it easier for others to find the same information.  Use the  Give Kudos button to offer a thumbs-up for good post content as a pat on the back to the author.

• chronofar
    chronofar Member Posts: 2 New User

Thanks for the reply. That is indeed what I intended to do, however unfortunately when I finally tracked down a screwdriver capable of opening it up I realized Acer strategically placed their warranty void sticker directly over one of the key center screws. Since it's still under warranty and I don't want to open it up to find out I need a new screen, this I guess limits my options to waiting until I get to city with an Acer service center (since I'm overseas). Annoying if it's just a simple reseating since I could have done that in a few minutes, but oh well. 

What's strange is the backlight went out in the middle of normal stationary use. I would think if it was to come unseated it would have happened while packed away somewhere, not while just sitting stationary. 

• focadima
    focadima Member Posts: 3 New User

You can re attach the cable without opening the back screw. The part that comes loose or disconnected in most cases is on the screen park not the mainboard

• rsquaredg
    rsquaredg Member Posts: 1 New User

Same problem on my wife's C720 that I bought her last year for Christmas.  It crapped out 12 days after warranty expiration.  I gently removed the screen bezel and the 4 screws holding the screen. Then I flipped the screen over to reveal a small (.5") ribbon cable connected to the screen and held in place with very sticky tape.  I peeled the sticky tape back and pushed the connector back into the screen.  To hold the reseated connector in place I put new scotch tape over the old tape to keep the connector tight.  Problem solved.  Upon reassembly it is important to keep the little round braided cable that becomes the ribbon cable rounted into the plastic guides.