Aspire XC-605 Win10 upgrade

Options
2»

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

It appears it will handle a 4460 if you look at the product page.  As far as CPU's that have been qualified to run on that model....I don't know.  There's a couple forum members that appear to have access to Acer technical documents.....so maybe they can give you what has been tested. 

I don't have your computer model (I have TC-605) and although I know of some of the similarities/differences between the models, I wouldn't feel comfortable giving you a recommendation....especially when it comes to virtualization.  I can run virtual box or Hyper-v on my tc-605 w/i5 4440, but since I don't have xc-605....I don't know what it can do.....even with i5.  I get myself in to trouble when I assume.  Smiley Wink

If your computer has Hynix memory then I would definitely try Kingston (use their memory finder on the Kingston website).

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/models/desktops/aspirex

http://www.kingston.com/us/

A SSD will give you noticeable performance improvement too.

Good luck!

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • tazzer
    tazzer Member Posts: 24 New User
    Options

Daft question but I'd have to rebuild again with an SSD wouldn't I?

• JordanB
    Options

I always do a clean install. But others will clone their drive.  Most crucial and Samsung ssds come with free cloning software.  And there's always the option of making a system image backup  of your existing drive.....and then restoring that image on to your new ssd. 

A clean install is usually problem free. Most of the problems occur when doing a clone or restoring system image. 

• JordanB
    Options

To start from scratch for me is about 3 hours.  If I start it before a baseball/football game on TV and get up to do something during commercials, I'm usually done when the game is over. Smiley Wink