Can Intel AHCI_13.2.0.1016 driver change R7-371-59zk (R13) BIOS setting from RAID0 to AHCI?

John_H
John_H Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Hello,

I am upgrading my R13, R7-371T (product ofJan  2015) but I couldn't open BIOS setting.

Mine has one 128G M.2 SSD and seems to be set RAID 0 (which was found in divice driver control panel of Windows 8, as I failed to open BIOS setting menu and could not check it in BIOS; (used F2-key.. etc..)).

BTW, I found "AHCI driver" in 'Acer R7-371T Driver & Manual'

(http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers#_ga=1.156019835.118228649.1442264923)

So my question is whether or not I install this AHCI driver in order to switch RAID 0 setting to "AHCI" setting.

(I've heard of some discussions in this forum saying "ACER SERVICE CENTER' only has some special software(s) to set AHCI from factory-installed RAID 0.)

Can I install the "Intel AHCI_13.2.0.1016_W81x64" to change BIOS setting for AHCI?

AHCIIntelSATA AHCI Driver13.2.0.101610.6 MB

2014/11/04

Please let me have your advic -- I need confirmed answers Smiley Happy

B. regards

J H

Best Answer

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

AHCI drivers are for OS not for BIOS, 2 different things; so installing AHCI drivers only add information to the OS.

you can enter BIOS also from advanced settings on windows 8:

http://acer.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/27103/~/accessing-the-uefi-(bios)-setup-on-a-windows-8-%2F-8.1-system

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • John_H

Tinkerer

Hello, Mr. IronFly.

Thank you so much for your prompt reply and correcting my ignorance. (Now I am upgrading my knowledge from win 7 as well) The link is a wonderful instruction.

I found 2 upgrades of BIOS (or UEFI) as followings.

Could I update my R7-371T/ R13 (Win 8.1; BIOS v.109) with BIOS v1.12 (2015/09/03)??    

Thanks you very much and B.regards.

J H

• John_H

Tinkerer

Hello, Mr. Ironfly.

I hope you read this first.

I changed RAID0 to AHCI in UFEI setting. But my R7-371T failed to boot and also my recovery USB drive was failed to boot. I had to reset to RAID0 (now it works well; Changing from RAID to AHCI may make Windows unbootable).

Also I tried to install/reset with a recovery drive in AHCI, and factory setting was recovered but it did not boot in AHCI. So i changed it from AHCI to RAID again, and then  I could see its factory setting (in RAID). [I guess my recovery drive was made when it was in RAID, and it recovered RAID setting- the other word, there no way to set R13 in AHCI with a recovery drive). 

I wonder if I need to install INTEL AHCI (v13.2.0.1016) in order to change my SSD from RAID0 to AHCI. If so, do I have to install the AHCI driver and then change RAID to AHCI in UFEI? OR is it helpful to add a line to change registry; "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\storahci\" with RegEdit??

Looking forward to your answers.

B regards

J H

• IronFly

you must understand how RAID0 works.

on RAID0 the data is splitted between the array component (2 or more SSD/HDD), so if you destroy the RAID (setting AHCI), you will understand that system will never found a bootable device until you will re-install the OS on one of the 2 drives.

so the registry edit you are referring, is worthless on your case, it was an old trick to switch from IDE to AHCI, after OS installation.

RAID arrays for an OS, is like a single disk.

about BIOS, i would update it, there's some interesting fix.

can i ask you, why you want to use AHCI instead of RAID0 configuration?

RAID0 is the best you can achieve as speed, the worst as data security, since if one disk die...you are without any data to recover.

• John_H

Tinkerer

Hello, Mr. ironfly

Thanks for your sincere answers.

My R13/ R7-371T has only ONE 128G SSD in one slot while the other slot is empty. As I have only one SSD, I don't think I have much benefit from RAID 0 setting Smiley Happy Instead, I guess adding another size (larger e.g. 250G) ssd is more helpful.

If you don't mind, would you please teach me how to change the setting from RAID 0 to AHCI? Smiley Happy

Thanks and b.regards

J H

• IronFly

if your unit has only 1 SSD can't be configured as RAID0, there are SSD than on a single box, has 2 controllers and this can be configured as RAID0.

please check on BIOS main page how many HDD are listed.

• John_H

Tinkerer

Hi, Mr. Ironfly

I could not get how RAID was set with one SSD.

So I opened my R13, and checked insied for the number of SSD(s) installed; one slot is occupied with one single  Kingston 128 M.2. The other slot is empty. I don't know much about RAID but the factory set it at RAID 0 (and I just assumed RAID 0 of ONE SSD is not working with dividing (& simultaneous) access technique to multiple SSDs for faster speed, but seems to be still well dealing with one single SSD, when it failed to detect the 2nd SSD. -- Thus I have thought that my R13 didn't take advantage from its RAID setting).

Would you help me to learn any way to change RAID to AHCI?  (except suggesting my R13 should expand storage with adding another 128G M.2 for the other slot. ) Smiley Happy

Best regards

J H

• IronFly

first of all you need the Acer erecovery media, to re-install your OS after switching from RAID to AHCI.

switching is easy, F2 to enter BIOS at boot, switch SATA mode from RAID to AHCI, press F10 to save and exit; then boot from your recovery media.

that's the only way.

what's the BIOS version right now?

• John_H

Tinkerer

Hello, Mr. Ironfly

Once again, I appreciate your sincere help.

First of all, my BIOS version is currently v1.09 (Jan of 2015), although I wonder if I need upgrade it with the newest one (v1.12 of 09/03/2015).

Unfortunately, (in BIOS v.1.09), I attempted to re-install Win 8.1 in AHCI  with many kinds of combination with   & RAID) BIOS settings (2 copies of ACER FACTORY RECOVERY media as well as 2 copies of Windows 8.1 Recovery (as of USB drive-16G)  - Basically there were 4 combinations but when I changed the time to switch BIOS from RAID to AHCI.

Consequently, all of my attempts ended up in vain!! OTZ

I guess there was no significant difference between Windows Recovery (Back-up; 7.10G) and Acer Factory Recovery (7.09G). Win's recovery seems to have more info above the mirror image(or rescue data) of Acer factory recovery while both recovery seem to share the same rescue/recovery date which was "set at RAID". I assume, this is why my R13 was set at RAID O from the factory, although mine has only one SSD (at HDD0; no SSD at HDD1).

Furthermore, Windows Recovery rescued my R13, while its SSD was once totally lost ("No Bootable Data", "Disk" or similar message was shown) but Acer factory recovery failed to recover my R13 (I tried with 2 separate Factory Recovery USBs several times)

Also the Intel AHCI driver (of my original question) was not helpful at least in this matter.

Mr. Ironfly,

I could not resolve my issue with the instruction which you gave at the last moment.

Would you please instruct more efficient way to settle it down?

Otherwise, may I get/purchase a copy of ACER FACTORY RECOVERY which was set at AHCI?

Also, can/should I upgrade my BIOS from v1.09 to v1.12?

I want to quit this expensive experiment...Smiley Sad

Looking forward to your answers.

Many thanks and B. regards

J H

• IronFly

Steps:

1) update BIOS to the latest version

2) enter BIOS from Windows (like my previous link) or try F2 after the BIOS update

3) set SATA mode to AHCI instead of RAID (i don't think you need to switch between UEFI and Legacy to do it, so just leave it  on UEFI)

4) check on BIOS if F12 boot priority is enabled

5) press F10, save and exit

6) plug your USB recovery media (acer recovery), power on the laptop, press F12

7) choose the USB and hope it will install Smiley Very Happy

• John_H

Tinkerer

Hello, Mr. Ironfly

Thanks for your incessant help. I tried once according to your step-by-stpe instruction.

And also I added some more steps which I did in many ways after yours... although the result was not satisfactory.... Smiley Sad

----------------------

your instructions for me.
    1) update BIOS to the latest version    // 2) enter BIOS from Windows (like my previous link) or try F2 after the BIOS update    // 3) set SATA mode to AHCI instead of RAID (i don't think you need to switch between UEFI
    and Legacy to do it, so just leave it  on UEFI)
    4) check on BIOS if F12 boot priority is enabled   // 5) press F10, save and exit
    6) plug your USB recovery media (acer recovery), power on the laptop, press F12
    7) choose the USB and hope it will install
    ----------------------------------------------

After your instruction,

I had to try the reinstallation in several ways.

..   (   *** disclaimer: some steps may NOT be correct *** No one should do/follow this!!!)

A. UEFI was kept without change to Legacy (AHCI & UEFI) as instructed.

8-0) "Choose keyboard layout" [I chose "US" ]
             --> 8-1) chose "USE a device (USB.. .. Windows recovery..)"

--> it Went back to "Choose keyboard.."(The 1st screen)
             --> 8-2) [@2nd-5th trials]: chose "Reset your PC"

--> selected "Win 8.1" (actually only choice for me)

(from 8-2)--> 9-1) chose "Yes, the drives"

--> 10-1) chose "Fully Cleare the drives"  (after full recovery procedure with FACTORY USB)
                                    --> PC went back to "Choose keyboard.." [BIOS setting had to be RAID for restarting Win 8.1]
      (from 8-2)--> 9-2) choose "No,keep the existing partitions"

--> "This option is not supported when pC is starting a recovery drive" shown. [No Choice]

(from 8-2)--> 9-3) 'System image back' was not available.

(after 10-1)--> 11-1) chose " Just remove my files"

---> The result was the same as that of 10-1 (ACHI had to be switched to RAID, then Win 8.1 started)  

B. UEFI was switched to LEGACY    ( (AHCI & LEGACY)  
       After Procedure of [8-2--> 9-1 --> 10-1]
       it shows "NO bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key"   Smiley Sad
      --> Factory Recovery [chosen from F12] or SSD [from F12] didn't work, showing "Keyboard layout"

C. Set UEFI & RAID (back to the factory-initial setting)
     C-1. With Factory Recovery Drive, it showed only "NO BOOTABLE DISK" terribly... Smiley Sad  Smiley Sad
                   (My pc needed CPR... at 600J .. and I got stiff kneck and palpitation)
     C-2. with Windows 8.1 Recovery USB Drive, it showed "Trobleshoot" 7 " Turn off PC"
        "Troubleshoot" --> "Reset" --> "Full clear?/clean? partition..."  --> Full reinstallation.

My R13 is back to normal (inital Win8.1 installation screen)

and my heartbeat is back within normal range... Smiley Happy

Mr. Ironfly,

Would you please instruct xome more efficient way to settle it down?

Otherwise, may I get/purchase a copy of ACER FACTORY RECOVERY which has AHCI setting?

Also, can/should I upgrade my BIOS from v1.09 to v1.12 to set AHCI?

Once again thanks for your help and looking forward to your answers.

B. regards

J H

• IronFly

i told you...

first step update the BIOS, then try to re-install.

• John_H

Tinkerer

Dear Mr. Ironfly.

Yes, I did.

What I wrote was my steps that i did after following your instruction of step 1 to 7 (which i turned to skyblue color in order to avoid confusion in my previous writing).  

Evey attempt of mine was done after BIOS change according to your instruction (to change AHCI only), and Factory recovery was not successful.

Then both AHCI and UEFI were changed at the same time, but the result was not different.

I think that both ACER FACTORY Recovery and Windows 8.1 recovery may be set at RAID. Especially Acer factory recovery failed to restore the factory setting when BIOS was re-set to RAID and UEFI from a combination of AHCI & LEGACY which showed "NO BOOTABLE DISK" that looks like no SSD (like 2 SSD slots are empty. - But Windows Recovery restored fully at the initial setting) 

What would be the next step for my issue?

Is there any chance to get a FACTORY RECOVERY set at AHCI?

Thanks and B. regards

J H

• IronFly
    Answer ✓

you can try one thing, install a Vanilla windows 8.1 downloaded from Microsoft, install with  AHCI and UEFI on BIOS, check if it boots.

if not, so your system must be set to RAID and you don't have nothing else to try.

to download windows 8.1 media:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

• KEHinWA
    KEHinWA Member Posts: 40 Devotee WiFi Icon

Yes this may be your issue:

I have installed the INTEL RAID drives on my machine since the BIOS is set to RAID.

And my recovery disk has those drivers installed when I boot.. which I plan to try to use to create a RAID set for my boot drive.

What is it you want from AHCI. ?  VS leaving it set for RAID. 

I think I had a small machine speed up when I installed the INTEL RST vs 13.x drivers..

Keep in mind the INTEL RAID system supports TRIM.. which is the reason I hear people looking for AHCI the most.

• John_H

Tinkerer

Hello, Mr. Ironfly

Thanks for your valuable information.  I will try it.

Before my doing it, please let me ask a couple of questions;

1> When I install the vanilla version, will it keep all drivers? or Do I have to install each driver after Vanilla installation? 

2> Do I change BIOS from RAID to AHCI BEFORE Vanilla installation, that is,

(1) change BIOS to  (& keep UEFI), then

(2) press [F12] to choose USB Drive of Vanilla Win 8.1.

Do I understand the order to set up Vanilla?

At your soonest convenience, let me have your answers.

Once again I highly appreciate your help.

Have a good weekend.

B. regards

• John_H

Tinkerer

Hello, KEH in WA

Thank for your concerns.

Unfortunately, I need some more details of what you suggest.

My best assumption is that Intel RST (the latest version) could switch to AHCI from current RAID, as you could change from AHCI to RAID reversely. Or Acer (or Windows) Recovery media is fixed at RAID and there is no chance to change RAID setting. It seems to burden you, would you make it clear in order to resolve my issue?

FYI, my R13 has only one SSD and an empty slot (but set at RAIDi), and I want up add another SSD with different capacity. (Also, as I know RAID 0 with 2+ SSDs may have less chance to recover data when they have issues. My R13 doesn't enough SSD slots me to set up RAID 10 (or 1+0).

Best regards.

• IronFly

John_H wrote:

Hello, Mr. Ironfly

Thanks for your valuable information.  I will try it.

Before my doing it, please let me ask a couple of questions;

1> When I install the vanilla version, will it keep all drivers? or Do I have to install each driver after Vanilla installation? 

2> Do I change BIOS from RAID to AHCI BEFORE Vanilla installation, that is,

(1) change BIOS to  (& keep UEFI), then

(2) press [F12] to choose USB Drive of Vanilla Win 8.1.

Do I understand the order to set up Vanilla?

At your soonest convenience, let me have your answers.

Once again I highly appreciate your help.

Have a good weekend.

B. regards

you need to install drivers on devices with an yellow exclamation mark on Device manager, the most will be added automatically from windows 8.1 installation.

you must set AHCI before installing.

Order is correct

• John_H

Tinkerer

Thank you, Mr. Ironfly.

Good News;

My R13 successfully changed its controller from RAID 0 to AHCI with MS Win8.1 Vanilla version according to your instruction. (http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/creat​e-reset-refresh-media)

I just needed to install the separate installation of each driver with a Driver Backup CD after Vanilla installation.

Bad News;

What I found is that the new system failed to make Windows backup media (absolutely Factory Backup as well). Windows system image is the only option available. However, I tested the recovery with the system mirror image (System Image & Recovery USB Drive) but it didn't work well; thus if my R13 has some problem, I have to start from scratch.... reinstall Windows (Vanilla) and all drivers.  (I failed to figure out the reason why it could make windows (Vanillar) backup media and the solution!!)

Also it failed to return to RAID setting although I attempted it with both Acer Factory Recovery media and Windows Backup media which were made in RAID setting even after resetting RAID in BIOS.  

If you could give some tips for making Windows Recovery Media of my new AHCI setting, I wouldn't be thankful more.  

Once again, I'd like to thank you for your sincere help and support.

Best regards

J H

• IronFly

system image will create a copy of your HDD installation, so you just need a windows bootable media (windows vanilla 8.1) and once booted from it, choose to repair your pc, recovering from the system image.

under windows 8.1 vanilla you can't create a backup recovery media as under Acer version, the only solution is system image + windows bootable media.