Need Solution: Cannot Install RAM 4GB Notebook Acer TravelMate 6291

andrichn
andrichn Member Posts: 3 New User

My notebook is TravelMate 6291. There are 2 slots Memory (RAM) installed at this time, the first slot is 2GB (Visipro DDR2 800) and the second slot is 1 GB (Visipro DDR2). When I replaced the RAM 1 GB to Visipro 2 GB DDR2 6400 (Total RAM = 4GB), this notebook can not boot into Windows 8 64 Bit. Whereas in reference website (http://www.cnet.com/products/acer-travelmate-6291/specs/) informed that the maximum RAM this notebook is 4 GB.

My notebook BIOS version is v1. 3109. I find a newer BIOS update drivers 3117 for this notebook in http://www.acer.co.in/ac/en/IN/content/drivers. If I update the BIOS driver from 3109 to 3117, my notebook issue is resolved? Thank you for your help.

Answers

• Alfin72
    Alfin72 Member Posts: 42 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    I see that the laptop supports DDR2 677 MHz memory, the voltage should be 1.8V and 0.9V and DIM speed should be 667 MHz. You can install memory modules in any combinations as long as they match the above specifications. If the RAM you installed matches the above specification swap the RAM that was shipped with the unit in the other Module and check if the issue persists. If it does it is clearly an issue with the Module and not the RAM if the factory shipped RAM works in both the module then the issue is with the New RAM you have purchased. Check the specs with the store and confirm it. --------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​----------------------------- Remember to mark "Accept as Solution",If I was helpful and the post solved your problem. This will make it easier for others to find the same information. Use the Give Kudos button to offer a thumbs-up for good post content and a pat on the back to the author.
  • andrichn
    Dear Sir Alfin,
    Thank you for your response.

Before experiment:
    Slot 1: RAM 2GB DDR2 800 (old)
    Slot 2: RAM 1GB
    Result:
    - Normal‎
    - BIOS: system memory 634KB, extended memory 3071MB

Experiment 1:‎
    Slot 2: RAM 2GB DDR2 6400 (new)
    Result:
    - Cannot boot in Windows 8 64 bit‎ (loop into F2 setup screen)
    - BIOS: system memory 634KB, extended memory 3362M‎B‎

Experiment 2:‎
    Slot 1: RAM 2GB DDR2 6400 (new)
    Slot 2: -‎
    Result:‎
    - Normal‎

Experiment 3:‎
    Slot 1: RAM 2GB DDR2 6400 (new)‎
    Slot 2: RAM 2GB DDR2 800 (old)
    Result:
    - BIOS: system memory 634KB, extended memory 3362MB

Can BIOS driver update affect this issue?‎
    Can this issue be solved by update BIOS driver from 3109 version to 3117 version?
    Or
    The problem is caused by memory module?
    Thank you.
  • Alfin72
    Hi Andri As per the experiment no 2 setup I see that the new RAM is working fine. The issue is with the slot. To confirm it Check in these setup Slot 1: RAM 2GB DDR2 800 (old) Slot 2: none. Result:??? then try this setup Slot 1: None. Slot 2: RAM 2GB DDR2 800 (old) Result :??? I believe the issue is with Slot 2 so if the second setup failed it is clear that the issue is with slot 2. ---------------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​----------------------------- Remember to mark "Accept as Solution",If I was helpful and the post solved your problem. This will make it easier for others to find the same information. Use the Give Kudos button to offer a thumbs-up for good post content and a pat on the back to the author.
  • andrichn

Dear Sir,

I have continued your recommendation:

Experiment 4:

Slot 2: none.

Result:

- Normal‎
    - BIOS: system memory 634KB, extended memory 2047MB

Experiment 5:

Slot 1: none

Slot 2: RAM 2GB DDR2 800 (old).

Result:

- Normal‎

Experiment 6:

Slot 1: RAM 2GB DDR2 6400 (new)

Slot 2: none.

Result:

- Normal‎

Experiment 7:

Slot 1: none

Slot 2: RAM 2GB DDR2 6400 (new).

Result:

- Normal‎

Experiment 8 (repeat Experiment 3)‎:
    Slot 1: RAM 2GB DDR2 6400 (new)‎
    Slot 2: RAM 2GB DDR2 800 (old)
    Result:
    - BIOS: system memory 634KB, extended memory 3327 MB (3362MB)

Note: when enter Windows 8, there is a message like this photo:

error send or dont send.jpg

But I found the same problem (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-update/your-pc-ran-into-a-problem-this-has-caused-your-pc/d1665026-0c9f-4a78-9c75-0d316b4f1353). But this problem is caused by card reader driver issue, not memory.

What can you conclude for these experiments sir? Thank you.

• Alfin72
    Could you double check that both the RAM has the same speed? We could have this issue when the RAM's are operating at different speed. ---------------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​----------------------------- Remember to mark "Accept as Solution",If I was helpful and the post solved your problem. This will make it easier for others to find the same information. Use the Give Kudos button to offer a thumbs-up for good post content as a pat on the back to the author.