Acer Aspire V3 772G BIOS greyed out

jasaroya
jasaroya Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited February 2018 in Nitro Gaming

Hello,
I have an Acer Aspire V3 (772G-9643 model) laptop that Acer sent me the recovery disks for. The first two steps they listed on the included sheet was to insert the disc labeled "System Disk" and then reboot and press F12 to get in the boot menu.

When F12 didn't work for me, I went into the BIOS using F2 and discovered that F12 Boot was disabled. I tried to go down using the arrow key but was unable to. All the options were greyed out, even on the other sections of the BIOS menu. System date and time were pretty much the only things not greyed out. Until I enable F12 I can't change the boot order to CD/DVD and can't start the recovery process with the Acer discs, so I'm completely stuck right now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, it's urgent as I really need this laptop for school which has already started. Since the laptop was very expensive it's important I try to fix it rather than buy a new one.

Thank you in advance for any help

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer

on BIOS, on last tab "load default settings" is greyed too?

if not, choose it, save and exit, then check if options are still greyed out.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • jasaroya

Tinkerer

Yes, that is greyed out too.

The first two options of "Exit Saving Changes" and "Exit Discarding Changes" are blue and available, but "Load Setup Defaults" is greyed out.

• IronFly

Any password set?

it looks like someone set a Supervisor password, so until you enter it, all the main options are greyed out.

• jasaroya

Tinkerer

I think I may have set one a while back. I see "Supervisor Password Is:"  and next to it it says "Set".

But that's greyed out too.

"Set USer Password" is blue and available, I already have a User Password setup.

• IronFly

on security tab, Set supervisor password, must be available to select.

• jasaroya

Tinkerer

Here is an image of what I see:

http://i.imgur.com/eOX5Xtl.jpg

Set Supervisor Password & everything else is greyed out, except for the Option selected in the photo (Set HDD Password), and "Set User Password". Those two appear as blue and selectable, the rest are all grey.

• IronFly

i see both Supervisor and User password are set...

first of all you need to clear the User password, so select it and hope you remember it.

• jasaroya

Tinkerer

How do I clear the user password? I do remember it

• IronFly

enter set User password, enter the correct password and leave empty the new and confirm password (just press enter) then save and exit

• jasaroya

Tinkerer

Ok, I did that. What would be the next step

• IronFly

if you already save and exit from BIOS, enter on BIOS again and check if options are still greyed out.

• jasaroya

Tinkerer

Update: I got it working.

First I did what you said and cleared the User Password, leaving only the Supervisor Password as set. Then I clicked save and exit. Rebooted the PC.  

Then I had to try the Supervisor Password. After 3 attempts, the Bios locked up. When it prompted me to "Enter Unlock Password", I used the BIOS Password Generator Tool on this website: http://www.tech-faq.com/how-do-i-reset-an-acer-bios-password.html

I entered the hash on the screen on the website, and clicked 'Compute'. I took the password generated from the site and pressed enter, it worked and I was taken to the BIOS again.  I rebooted my PC again.

The most important and final step was: when I rebooted, pressed F2, and was presented with the BIOS password page, I used the password that I got from that website and it took me into a BIOS with everything blue and available.

I enabled F12 Boot, booted from the System Disc, and now the Recovery Disc process is starting with Disc 1.

Thanks for your assistance!

• IronFly
    You welcome. Smiley Happy
  • Eqnesto
    Eqnesto Member Posts: 1 New User
    It worked! Thank you.
  • hasperglasses
    hasperglasses Member Posts: 1 New User
    Is this thread still active? If so, I'm still having problems with my BIOS Settings. Everything (except date and time, set user password, hdd password) is still greyed out. I have tried the steps above but after following all of it everything is still greyed out. My guess is I still cannot access the BIOS using supervisor mode
  • Bluedoggsd
    Bluedoggsd Member Posts: 1 New User
    Tried to install Debian 9, stuck at grub rescue. Bios is locked down with greyed out options. Supervisor password while correct but didn't work, now it is greyed out too. When I say Bios is locked down,, it means I can access it, but no options  except system time and date, user password and HDD password, exit saving changes and exit discarding changes. I need help, please help. Acer Aspire E 15, E5-522-89W6. I built the USB bootable disc using cloudready USB maker. Changed the  iso file name to .bin as required by cloudready.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi Shafqat,

May I know the full model name of your unit.

• Indikaimk
    Indikaimk Member Posts: 1 New User

This worked for me.

Most important thing is the final step. Reboot the laptop and login to BIOS with the generated unlock key.