Dead C720P touchscreen

Options
mkaplan28
mkaplan28 Member Posts: 1 New User

I have owned my C720P for about 16 months, so it's beyond warranty. Wondering what my options might be. Yesterday out of the blue the touchscreen simply stopped working. There is no response whatsoever to touch. Everything else about the computer remains totally functional. 

I scoured the Google Chromebook forums looking for advice, and tried every software-related step that I could. I tried logging in as Guest, performed a hard reset, a Powerwash, and even recovered OS entirely from a flash drive. Each time the computer returned to completely normal function except for the touchscreen, which continues to be nonfunctional. 

I'm pretty certain that this is a hardware issue at this point. With the device being out of warranty, how might I go about fixing this issue? Are there replacement touchscreens? Are there repair services that do the replacement? Would the cost of this service be expensive enough that I should just buy a new chromebook entirely?

Thanks for any and all advice.

Details, in case they are pertinent: 

Acer C720P Chromebook

SNID: [edited to comply with guidelines]

ChromeOS

Version 45.0.2454.86 (64-bit)

Platform 7262.52.0 (Official Build) stable-channel peppy

Firmware Google_Peppy.4389.93.0

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options

If I were to guess, I'd guess the touchscreen cable has become disconnected. When the digitizer itself fails it tends to go out in sections, not everything at once. See if there are teardown videos online and from them determine how tough it is to get into the screen. Most competent techs could do it easily as long as it's just a loosened cable.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Alfin72
    Alfin72 Member Posts: 42 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    Options
    Hi. You could check with the tech support for out of warranty repair charges " you could chat with them if the unit is out of warranty" You could also get the part partners details from them if you are looking forward to replace the touch screen. --------------------------------------------------​--------------------------------------------------​---------------------------------- A KUDOS is appreciated and remember to mark "Accept as Solution",If I was helpful,the post that solved your problem.