Restore Failed- Can not find image path: C\IMAGES_TMP_DIR\install.wim.

Options
brbradshaw
brbradshaw Member Posts: 12 New User

Hi.

I really hope I can get some help with this issue as I’ve had nothing but problems with this unit since I got it. I had a major problem with my laptop when the GPU burnt out and needed replacing. The laptop was just out of warranty so I had to get it fixed locally. After the GPU was replaced a basic version of win8 was reinstalled. I bought the recovery disks from ACER to return it to factory settings. I booted from the Boot Disk and went through the reinstall steps but after installing disk 4 I get the error message: Restore Failed- Can not find image path: C\IMAGES_TMP_DIR\install.wim. Once I ok the error message, the laptop reboots and tries to fix the problem automatically. Unfortunately, it cannot continue. I can then choose Shutdown or Advanced Options. The advanced options just bring me thought the same installation process of the 4 recovery disks and the process starts again. ACER support just told me to try it again which is very frustrating.

Aspire S7 392

Best Answer

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options

seems good, apart a missing recovery partition around 350-450MB, normally used/created by windows.

I'm not an Acer employee.

Answers

• IronFly
    Options

from advanced options, can you choose command prompt?

if so, type this:

diskpart
    then on diskpart type
    list disk
    take note of the correct disk ID to erase, normally disk 0
    type
    select disk x
    (x is the ID of your HDD to erase)
    type
    clean

then try to re-install from recovery disks.

• brbradshaw
    Options

Hi,

Thanks very much for your response. I tried the steps you suggested and the clean was successful but this time when i attempted to install the recovery media it stopped on CD 2 with the following error message: Restore Failed - Error Code 0x1 incorrect function. I now no longer have access to the cmd prompt after the HDD clean. I attempted the install an number of times but it alwasy stops at the same point, see attached photo. Thank you for any help you can give me with this issue.IMG_1710.JPG

• IronFly
    Options

on first step, select restore type, do you have multiple options?

• brbradshaw
    Options

There are two options, restore the operating system and restore to original set up. the second option(restore to original set up) gives me an error message stating that i need to delete all files before i can continue. when i clenaed the HD i selected this option first time round and it froze on CD2 of the restore disks.

• IronFly
    Options

http://www.partitionwizard.com/partition-wizard-bootable-cd.html
    download the .iso file
    then use a software to burn CD/DVD or USB flash drive and burn the .iso file
    once done, put the CD/DVD/USB on your PC, boot from CD/USB (maybe you need to boot under Legacy if you have UEFI BIOS)
    press F12 at boot and choose CD or USB
    at the desktop
    select your HDD
    choose wipe your HDD completly (it will erase also any GPT or MBR on the HDD), choosing the first option after selecting the wipe function.
    then exit partition wizard, boot to BIOS, set UEFI back from Legacy (if you have UEFI BIOS) and boot from the erecovery media.

this time choose restore operating system if it doesn't work, do again the wipe HDD and try restore to original setup.

if it fails again....can be a problem on HDD but we need to investigate on this kind of issue.

• brbradshaw
    Options

Hi,

Getting the following error when running minitool. It wont boot into anything where i can get access to the HD.

grub> Error: boot/biz image3 has invalid signature

Error: you need to load the kernel first

If this is a problem with the HD its confusing as I had a running copy of win8 installed. It was only when i tried to use the recovery disks to return it to factory settings that this problem occurred.

thanks for you help

• IronFly
    Options

If your OS was windows 8.1, you can try to install a clean copy from Microsoft (it's without any Acer software or drivers but you can download them from Acer support website)

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

• brbradshaw
    Options

So I was able to boot into the system using the partition wizard and wiped the drives. Tried to install the recovery software again but it stopped again on CD 2. You don’t think its a problem with the Recovery Disks? Also there seems to be 2 disks neither with a file system installed (see attached pic). Should these be NTFS?IMG_1711.JPG

• IronFly
    Options

can you please try this?

1. Change the BIOS mode from UEFI to Legacy.
    2. After exiting the BIOS, enter the Intel Rapid Storage Utility by pressing Ctrl+I.
    3. In the utility, delete any existing RAID. Select option 2, then press the Del key, and then Y key for yes.
    4. Select option 1 to create a new RAID Volume.
    5. Press TAB until you highlight STRIP SIZE. Use the arrow key to select 64KB.
    6. Continue to press TAB until Create Volume is highlighted. Press Enter then press the Y key for yes. You should now have a RAID0 (Stripe) with a name Volume0 with a status of normal.
    7. Select option 6 to exit the RAID Utility.
    8. Return to the BIOS and change the boot mode back to UEFI. Save and exit.
    9. try to install using the Acer recovery disks
  • brbradshaw
    Options

There was no existing RAID set up so I just set one up as you instructed. On installation of the recovery media it again stopped at the same point on CD 2.

• IronFly
    Options

i will ask for help.

• IronFly
    Options

ok, assuming your are still under Raid0 configuration, can you please try to install a vanilla Windows 8.1 OS?

i gave you the link on my previous post, so we can narrow if it's a recovery media disks issue or hardware issue.

• brbradshaw
    Options

So that worked, I was able to install win8.1 from the link you sent me so the HD looks good. maybe its a problem with the recovery disks. The problem I guess is that i wanted the original ACER install with recovery partition etc which is why I spent the money on the the recovery disks (which were like 90 euros or something).

• IronFly
    Options

yes, i understand.

in my opinion, give a call to the seller of the recovery media, telling about the error.

have you checked if your windows 8.1 is already authorized?

if you want some of the Acer applications, you can have a look on the Acer support website:

http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers/4821;-;Aspire%20S7-392

• brbradshaw
    Options

Hi Thanks for all your help with this ill get on to ACER and try and get them to send out another set of disks. Just one more question, how many partitions should be on the HD. I have installed and deleted so many at this point I fear it might be a little messy. If I view it using the boot media there appeared to be 2 separate partitions(see the picture I send earlier) while when I was just installing off the windows CD it appeared to have three, two around 128mb and one around 130 gigs. Also should they be NTFS or FAT32? If I was to install from scratch again would it be best to format the drive and then install the win8.1 disk again?

Thanks again for all your help?

• IronFly
    Options

please take a screenshot from Disk management:

windows key logo + x

disk management

so it will easier to understand the actual situation on partitions.

• brbradshaw
    Options
  • IronFly
    Answer ✓
    Options

seems good, apart a missing recovery partition around 350-450MB, normally used/created by windows.

• brbradshaw
    Options

Cool thanks again for your help.

• IronFly
    Options

You welcome. Smiley Happy