Aspire R7-571 won't completely shut down on Windows 10

Options
DennisSibb
DennisSibb Member Posts: 11 New User

WHnever my Acer Aspire R7-571 is plugged in and recharging, I get a bogus estimate of how long it takes to recharge.  I am presently ignoring it, but I am wondering:

-Is anyone else experiencing this issue?  (I am not seeing anyone else mentioning this in any reviews/tech support searches).

-Is anyone farmiliar with a fix for this.  I have poked around the settings, and Windows 10 does not have anything settable related to this, as far as I can tell.

This isn't too big a deal, just putting this out there as a bug issue to be looked at someday.

2015-09-08.png

Answers

• dblg5
    dblg5 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

Have same model. Same issue and does not sleep properly, back light of keyboard stays lit...along with battery getting very hot. Hope the battery isn't fried...

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

have you tried to disable Fast startup under Power option settings? (about not shutting down)

windows key logo + x

Power options

on left side click on Choose what the power button do

when click on Change settings that are currently unavailable

untick Fast startup

save changes

then try to shut down

you can also try to shutdown completly using a command promtp

windows key logo + x

command prompt (admin)

then type

shutdown /s /t 0

check if it completly shutdown

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • DennisSibb
    DennisSibb Member Posts: 11 New User
    Options

I am still getting this issue about 20% of the time, even with the fastboot setting disabled.

I have created a shortcut to perform the shutdown with one click, but I am still seeing this sometimes, but not always.  I still have to watch it shutdown and if after one minute it still have not shutdown all the way (based on the keyboard lighting and/or the power LED, I force the shutdown by holding the power button in.

The command for my shortcut is:  

%windir%\System32\shutdown.exe /s /t 0

Not sure why this is still happening, or what else to try.

By the end of the year, I will probably redo a full clean install, since this was an upgrade to Windows 10 with keeping all my settings/software from WIndows 8.1. Maybe it will mysteriously disappear then?

• p_murphy101
    p_murphy101 Member Posts: 8 New User
    Options

I'm also getting this problem on my R7-571G.  just woke up today with it still powered on with the screen blank, keys lit and two indicator lights still on at the front.

It doesn't happen all the time, sometimes it does shut down successfully

it used to happen in windows 8 when I first bought it -- using windows 10 now - same issue

I tried the fast boot / no fast boot still same random shut down success rate I'd say

I don't use the battery - it's always plugged in , so I'm not sure about the battery reading yet

using latest BIOS

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    Options

i had a similar issue with another brand laptop and was the BT driver not releasing the hardware to shut down.

on Acer support website, there are no new drivers for windows 10, but maybe it can be worth looking around the manufacters hardware to find updated versions.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • unigene
    unigene Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I had the same shut-down and sleep problems on both a R7-571G and a R7-572G after updating to WIN10.

The issue was solved by re-installing the Intel Management Engine Interface drivers available on the ACER download site. You need to get the 'old' WIN8.1 64bit driver for Intel ME (Management Engine) Driver (v9.5.14.1724) as there is no driver available for WIN10. But the old one solved the problem on my R7.

My drivers have certainly been automatically updated along with windows to a newer version which caused the problem. You can check your version first by opening the Device Manger / System Devices / Intel(R) Management Engine Interface.

I hope that ACER will look into this problem and provide an updated driver for WIN10 or tell Intel to fix it on their end.